• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Everything you ever wanted to know: BADBOY, MADMAX Update

dat2zip

Flashlight Enthusiast
As requested I'll put my current status here on the first page.

Status update:

Current status 19NOV02:

BB500 - In stock and slowely shipping.
BB400 - Due to ship from MFG today or tomorrow.
MM - Due to ship this week.

BB400 and MM will still need the epoxy fill, final form fit and functional test. The whole process will take 3-5 days for each batch.

Status update 22Nov02:

Received BB400 and Madmax modules and separate converter boards. Tested one each of the batch and they appear to be functional. Epoxy fill and final functional testing still ahead.

Status Update Dec 2.

Status update: I think we cleared backlog as of today for orders up to Nov 29th. Please wait one day to see if you get an email confirmation. It's totally possible I screwed up an order or two, delivered twice or not delivered at all on some stuff. About 40 boxes on Friday and about 30 more boxes on Saturday.

Status Update Dec 11.

All orders are being processed and shipped in one to two days typical now.

Status update 1/23/2003: I'll post this in the beginning as well.

Nearing the end of the month. We are now out of stock on Madmax modules so any future Sandwiches with Madmax will get backordered.

We have been out of stock on Badboy converter boards and are now getting very thin on Badboy 400 modules and Badboy 500 modules.

I plan on keeping the store open. So, I've made the decision. Not to terminate the store for various reason. One is the contract manufacturer did not perform very well and I got overcharged, and I lost a lots to scrappage for one reason or another.

The store will stay open to service the McLux DIY program, offer LEDs and all the other misc items that everyone seems to like. The response has been nothing short of spectacular and I would again like to thank everyone for such an overwhelming success.

I'm in the process of switching contract manufacturers and this has caused a hiccup or bubble where I won't be getting supplies for a while. During this period I'm hoping to be able to sustain some inventory again by hand soldering and hand assembly modules.

This is consuming more time than I had anticipated and is now delaying the McLux program. Fear not, it will be forthcoming. And the price that is currently being worked on is a very attractive one. I think you will like the pricing.

Tater Rocket

Enlightened
What I want to know is how to make one with crappy soldering skills, a lack of funds, and no LS (part of the lack of funds). Oh, and a lack of experience with small parts, little equipment (I am in the dorms right now), and did I mention bad soldering skills?

Spud

dat2zip

Flashlight Enthusiast
Talk to Saaby. I think people are sending him free stuff.
grin.gif
grin.gif

Tater Rocket

Enlightened
Lol, the only person that offered to do that was LightLover I believe it was. Offered to send a couple surefire 123's for being the youngest member (at the time), I declined though because I had lost my LX at the time. Also, I don't think I'd take any handouts, would only trade for stuff. I have a hard time accepting anything from people unless I have done sometihng for them or have something to give in exchange. My parents are SUPPOSED to be sending me some money monthly, so I can set aside part of that (that is, when they finally get around to doing it...)

Spud

This is almost as bad as Darrel...lol :p

mc

Newly Enlightened
Hi Dat2zip,

Thanks for the handmade custom made sandwiches, the "madmax" and "yellow". Those of us who received one or both are quite fortunate. Good luck with your next projects, your work is enjoyable to follow, and very appreciated.

Doug Meister

Newly Enlightened
Dat2zip, after a while if you are going to make anymore MadMax sandwiches -- I'd like to get one.

This LED stuff is getting to be an obsession. Friends are warning me to stay away from CPF. But I cant.
hihi.gif
I cant afford one now - I bought 6 flashlights or conversions this month.
<font color=blue>--Ðøug
pain6.gif
</font>

dat2zip

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you are having troubles with your Madmax or Badboy it would be helpful for me to have as much pertanent data as possible. You might want to consider some of the follwing suggestions.

What information I will need is:
Setup: Flashlight body(s), converter type (Madmax, Badboy), custom design using just the converter or drop in sandwich, type of battery (alk, NiMH, NICD...), How long was it run before the problem (right away, after xx minutes, ect...), statically still or being carried around.

Any other pertinent information like:
"I bang it and the light comes back."
"I replace the batteries and problem goes away."
"It only occurs when I use RS batteries."
"Only occurs on a full moon."
"Just happens on Leap Years."
"Drinking coffee with the spoon still in the cup hurts my eye."
"Only occurs when I wear tennis shoes. When I wear my clogs, everthing is fine."
"Light aways goes out when I remove the tailcap."
"When I step on the mouse the computer doesn't turn on."

dat2zip

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some temporary fixes for some of the above stated problems are:

"Only occurs when I wear tennis shoes. When I wear my clogs, everthing is fine."

Temporary fix: "For now, please only wear tennis shoes while we investigate this problem."

"Drinking coffee with the spoon still in the cup hurts my eye."

fix: "Please remove the spoon before drinking the coffee."

hank

Flashlight Enthusiast
I replaced _all_ the O-rings in my ten year old MagLight AA, because at first I had to screw the head down all the way and had no leeway, the BB would go off but a slight bump would turn it back on. With replacement O-rings, my BB-yellow has been perfect. I think the head was just a bit wobbly because the old O-ring below the threads was thin. I notice I can hear the batteries rattle slightly right at the point where the light comes on and at that point the LED may dim or flicker; once I turn the head another 1/8 of a turn it's consistently on. I guess I will try stretching the string just a bit.

N162E

Enlightened
Just finished my first mod. Assembled the Mad Max sandwich. I soldered the emitter directly to the backside of the board. Used the improved optic along with the Mini-Mag reflector the back of which I sanded down about even with the optic. This installed nicely in the bezel using the stock lens and o-ring. Also used bondo instead of epoxy to make the sandwich. The bondo sets up in just a few minutes so I was able to hold it between my fingers while it set. Had to be very careful not to get the bondo in the way of the variable resistor. Twist on-off works just like it should. Set the resistor for max brightness and let it run. It ran bright for two hours ten minutes then faded fast. I picked it up a few times during the run test and found it warm but not uncomfortable to hold. Used standard duracells.

I am happy.

Glow Bug

Enlightened
Wayne, I hate to dissapoint you, but: BB&MM is operating flawlessly. They are mounted in brand new Mini-Mags. Hope this helps. Also, can I continue to wear my clogs???:)

leddite

Enlightened
caught up on my tv watching tonite while i had my madmax and badboy running as a battery burn time test...

i put slightly weaker batteries in the madmax, and not quite new batteries in the badboy:

after *5* hours, the madmax still had a glow, and
it's usuable enough to be sure, it's just not STUNNING bright. what did you expect?

after *5* hours, the badboy/yellow is pretty dang bright, not new battery bright, but better than the madmax, remember that this light had stronger batteries.

not too shabby. good job wayne :>

sodakar

Newly Enlightened
Long time no post... Since the title of this thread is named "Everything you wanted to know..." I do a have a few questions... And yes, I spent about 15 minutes skimming through the archives, but I couldn't find a clear answer for the below question:

What exactly is the difference between the Madmax and the Badboy? Specifically:

- brightness
- battery life
- ease of install
- voltage regulation

I apologize for asking a question that most people here probably have the answer to already, but think of it as a service to those who are "catching up" on reading the messageboards...
smile.gif

Many thanks in advance,

dat2zip

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by sodakar:
Long time no post... Since the title of this thread is named "Everything you wanted to know..." I do a have a few questions... And yes, I spent about 15 minutes skimming through the archives, but I couldn't find a clear answer for the below question:

What exactly is the difference between the Madmax and the Badboy? Specifically:

- brightness
- battery life
- ease of install
- voltage regulation

Many thanks in advance,
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">-Brighthess: The Madmax is the overall winner of MADMAX vs Badboy Yellow. The Badboy green is very similar on fresh set of batteries.

NOTE: Badboy Yellow (Yellow is the current regulation set to 416mA and not a yellow LED), Green is 500mA designation, Violet is 666mA of current regulation.

Battery Life: Both have acceptable and very reasonable battery life. Both with a good set of alkalines will yield 1 1/2 to 2 hours of good solid light and then dimished light for many more hours.

Ease of installation: Identical. Drop in module like the opalec. Drops in from the rear. Typical installation time is 30secs to 1minute. (First timers ~5 minutes) No soldering, No nuts, bolts, screws, wrenches, or any other special tools except 5-10 fingers.

Regulation:
Madmax: Pseudo Voltage regulation. Set for a voltage regulation of 5V which it never achieves and runs wide open. This generates less current output as the battery voltage falls and thus is not a true voltage regulator.

Badboy: Full current mode regulation. Regulates the current to load to within +/- 5mA.

Efficiency:
Madmax: Up to 90% with fresh batteries. Down to 76%.
Badboy: Up to 85% with fresh batteries. Down to 72% with 2V input.

More information at:
Madmax and Badboy web page.

Madmax and Badboy converter board images.

Sandwich installation instructions.

Run time graphs of Madmax and Badboy 500mA.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
EDIT: (9/06/2002) Disregard comments on initial beam intensity and read my post further on.

I just received my madmax badboy yellow. It is everything advertised. It has a more violet tinted Luxeon beam but still a very nice beam. I prefer slightly violet to the green corona beams. I modded it to a minimag. It starts out just slightly dimmer then my newly arrived Arc LS second that is running on alkalines and a two AA battery pack. EDIT: I had originally used the original Energizers that came with the minimag. Who knows how long they've been sitting on the shelf but I just installed a different set of alkalines and now the badboy yellow seems to be just as bright if not a shade brighter then the Arc LS in a two AA battery pack. Also tried NIMH's which produced nearly the same light output but the batteries rattle in the minimag case. It is slightly brighter on lithiums but in my opinion, why pay $5 for a set of batteries (in regular use) when you can pay 50 cents worth on alkalines at a still steady output at a just slightly dimmer (ten percent?) level. For $36 plus $9 for a mini mag, bringing a total of $45, I can't think of a better Luxeon value.

One thing though. I have been doing a run time test. The whole mag body gets quite warm when left on for an extended period of time so that if you leave it alone for an hour or so, it is almost too warm to pick up. Does this mean the design produces more heat and/or it has superior heat sinking characteristics? At either rate, is it OK to leave this light running continuously? The Arc LS by comparison in a two AA battery compartment remains quite cool to the touch.