It's not nice to laugh at other's flashlights, is it?

SRacer2000

Newly Enlightened
So there is an electrician here working on some lights. I was laughing (to myself) at the MiniMag on his belt. Is this sad?

Manzerick

Flashlight Enthusiast
i just went to vegas and had such a nice talk (aka laugh) at their lights. The one I was laughing at had a chinese like 32 LED light.

Then like a drunken hero I start flashing my Q3 and one security guard comes over with a G2 and his Inova x-5. Fun flashaholic times :)

SRacer2000

Newly Enlightened
I kinda wanna hand him my INOVA Raident 2xAA and say "be enlightned"

jarobi

Enlightened
A friend of mine at work carried a MM and complained about it. we work in a very old joint that requires decent light for searches. I brought in a G2, L1, SL Strion and Stinger XT, and a Gerber UI. He liked the L1 the most. He said, "You can actually see the beam." Then we got into price, and he freaked. *End of torch evangelism.* I bought him a Nite Ize for his light, and he's happy now, but constantly says he wishes he could get a nice light. He can, it's just not in him to spend more than ten bucks for a flashlight. So, I make it a point to laugh at him every chance I get :). In good fun, of course.

greenLED

Flashaholic
I'm guilty of doing that. Last Halloween I asked a neighbor if the batts on his minimag were old ("no, I just changed them..."). :crackup: I had my Pila GL3 at the time. This year, I'm taking my minimag hotwire out for Halloween... :whistle:

DFiorentino

Flashlight Enthusiast
I take the standpoint in that its not nice. At one point we were all unenlightened. And even still, we are all at different levels. If I laugh at someone's minimag because my PD puts it to shame then Larry will break out his "pocket" searchlight and I'll be blind for weeks :whoopin: :bow:

Don't mind me, must be the medicine talkin'.

:lolsign:
-DF

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Someone with a particular interest will always shake their heads at someone who's out of touch or backwards in that area. With this board it's flashlights. No one can think of why someone wouldn't carry a Fenix, or a Surefire, etc. Unmodded Mini-Mag users are laughed at.

But think about this way: _Everything_ out there has an interested hobby group who feel this way. I'm certain that almost every CPF member would be the object of scorn and humor from folks with other hobbies. Think you're not? Do you:

...have a cheap gun?
...have low quality cookware?
...have an inexpensive stereo?
...have a slow car?
...have an old computer?
...how about cheap lawnmower?
...small TV?
...poor quality chainsaw?
...Harbor Freight tools?
...use a disposable lighter?
...wear mass market clothes?
...buy discount store shoes?
...use cheap knives?

There are hobby groups and message boards for all of those things. You can't own fancy everything. While it may be perfectly justified, next time you get a chuckle out someone with a Mag-Lite bear in mind that they're thinking you're clueless for buying that Craftsman lawnmower.

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well said Abtomat, that is completely true. I dont often do that (nor do I often get the chance to do so, but I sometimes do that to LEOs) but I think its fine to do that to get even if they ever did something like that to me. Now Ive never had to do it to get even, but I am ready to do so any time.

SRacer2000

Newly Enlightened
Abtomat, very true. I'm sure my knife "collection" is very laughable.

greenLED

Flashaholic
I only do it with good friends, though. We make healthy fun of each other with the neighbor I'm talking about. Her wife is the one who told me I look like a Christmas tree when I ride my bike, so you can see it's a two-way street with them. I don't just make fun of random people.

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do unto others....

I'm SURE all of us show something laughworthy to others, and it depends on how you'd like others should point that out to you.

CLHC

Flashaholic
Same with what ABTOMAT stated above. A few other enthusiasts would be those that collect and enjoy fine timepieces and writing instruments, while ours, well, maybe we don't give a second thought to. But Flashlights—:huh:

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't laugh at people. If I think they'll take it well, I'll gently clue them in that there's better available, that they don't have to make-do. Usually goes over pretty well.

Cheers. :buddies:

LowWorm

Enlightened
greenLED said:
I only do it with good friends, though. We make healthy fun of each other with the neighbor I'm talking about. Her wife is the one who told me I look like a Christmas tree when I ride my bike....<snip>

Pictures? I'll take bets now on whether green's got a star or an angel on his head....

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
What blows me away is that most people who really need good light to do their job well, if at all, have NOTHING or a crappy light. I've had to supply some highly compensated guys with decent light or they would not have gotten the job done.

With the $1000's guys are willing to spend on good tools, why are lights rarely considered part of the complete package? I've witnessed stymied tradesmen and technicians unable to do their job for lack of proper lighting.

A person who only listens to background music or infrequently goes shooting doesn't need an expensive stereo or gun. Too many folks who really need good lighting refuse to go beyond the MiniM^g! Even when shown what a good light will do, most people won't change.

oldgrandpajack

Enlightened
Gee, I'm the one being laughed at all the time, when they hear what I paid for my flashlights. :(

Last edited:

Billson

Flashlight Enthusiast
jayflash said:
What blows me away is that most people who really need good light to do their job well, if at all, have NOTHING or a crappy light. I've had to supply some highly compensated guys with decent light or they would not have gotten the job done.

With the $1000's guys are willing to spend on good tools, why are lights rarely considered part of the complete package? I've witnessed stymied tradesmen and technicians unable to do their job for lack of proper lighting.

A person who only listens to background music or infrequently goes shooting doesn't need an expensive stereo or gun. Too many folks who really need good lighting refuse to go beyond the MiniM^g! Even when shown what a good light will do, most people won't change.

I don't think they are unwilling to spend for them but rather they have no idea they exist at all. You can go to any hardware store and find all types of tools for any price range you want but you can't exactly go to Walmart or Home Depot to buy a Surefire or HDS. The fact that Mags are everywhere make most people think it's the best out there since they are the cheapest metal flashlight I can think of.

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think they are unwilling to spend for them but rather they have no idea they exist at all...
I dunno, I've seen many people who hate their tools. I see them all the time. People who always skrimp on one tool or another and are then upset by the way it performs each time they use it but they go on using it. These are not all people who couldn't afford to buy up a bit.

I don't have much money but I'm fussy about the things I hold in my hands. To me, crappy knives, lights and other tools make the experience of using them less pleasant than it could be. I'm only going to be here just so long. I will only have a finite number of tasks to perform. Why punish myself? It doesn't have to be expensive but it should be right. A nice tool is a joy to use. I want to like my possessions that I have to touch often. That's part of why I'm here.

On the surface it may just sound like materialism but it's something else.

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't laugh at the light impaired but if it's a tool that could help their job then I tend to find a way to talk about it and show them one or two.

As for marginal tools, they often lead to marginal execution and if I'm putting my time into a project they had better match or exceed my demands. I'm not a big follower of "you never have time to do it right the first time but you always have time to do it over again." I'd rather get quickly and correctly the first time.

-LT

Planterz

Flashlight Enthusiast
ABTOMAT said:
Someone with a particular interest will always shake their heads at someone who's out of touch or backwards in that area. With this board it's flashlights. No one can think of why someone wouldn't carry a Fenix, or a Surefire, etc. Unmodded Mini-Mag users are laughed at.

But think about this way: _Everything_ out there has an interested hobby group who feel this way. I'm certain that almost every CPF member would be the object of scorn and humor from folks with other hobbies. Think you're not? Do you:

...have a cheap gun?
...have low quality cookware?
...have an inexpensive stereo?
...have a slow car?
...have an old computer?
...how about cheap lawnmower?
...small TV?
...poor quality chainsaw?
...Harbor Freight tools?
...use a disposable lighter?
...wear mass market clothes?
...buy discount store shoes?
...use cheap knives?

There are hobby groups and message boards for all of those things. You can't own fancy everything. While it may be perfectly justified, next time you get a chuckle out someone with a Mag-Lite bear in mind that they're thinking you're clueless for buying that Craftsman lawnmower.
Quite true, in the case of regular folks, but when I see a night security guard with a freaking minimag, or a huge 4D mag, I have to laugh. Or cry. If you're a professional, and your profession requires tools, you should have professional quality tools. It's like showing up at the Daytona 500 in a 94 Honda Civic.