The Ultimate Laser Buyer's Guide: Handhelds & Pointers

SuperBert

Enlightened
[size=+1]The Ultimate Laser Buyers' Guide: Handhelds &Pointers[/size]

Preface
So I have decided with the numerous weekly posts concerning which handheld/pointer to buy, that I would make a thread with strictly this information. If you happen to see a picture that is yours, forgive me for stealing it; it was used b/c you either take awesome pictures, or it was the best quality I could find.

When posting questions about your next, or first laser purchase, think about what you are asking. A word of advice for new users: A LASER'S POWER IS NOT MEASURED BY HOW FAST IT CAN POP BALLOONS, LIGHT MATCHES, CUT HOLES IN TRASH BAGS, OR BURN THINGS!!!

All too often users post the same question that was posted the same day before, just worded differently regarding their new purchase and whether or not it will be able to perform these tasks. There are simply too many factors that go into a laser's output that specifies what it can and cannot do. If you are spending $500-$2000 to light matches and pop rubber balloons, not only do you have too much time and money on your hands, but perhaps you have taken up the wrong hobby.... But, we will leave that conversation for "The Cafe"... Let me repeat myself for those of you who like to ruin threads... *ehem*... WE WILL LEAVE THAT CONVERSATION FOR THE CAFE.

When purchasing your first laser, there are a lot of things you need to ask yourself:
  • How much am I willing to spend on this?
  • How much will I actually use the thing?
  • How much power do I REALLY NEED?
  • Will I use this responsibly?
  • What are the laws in my area for this awesome new hobby of mine?

You really need to answer all of the above honestly. If you can't be honest with yourself on these questions, you are going to make an impulse purchase, and potentially harm others if you are not ready to get into something like the world of high powered lasers. One thing you should do as a rule of thumb before buying a laser, or travelling with your laser is check the local laws AND ABIDE BY THEM!

So, let's get on with the post and get to the good stuff!

Here goes:

Handhelds (green)

PGLIII

PGLIII-1.jpg

I start w/ this simply b/c it was the 1st popular handheld here in the forums. It was known to have driverboard/unstability issues, but I have heard this has been well taken care of w/ the newer models. It can be found under many names, but they are all about the same thing:

Features/Specs:

• FULLY FDA compliant (notification LED, endcap dongle, key, shutter, and turn-on delay)
  • built in heatsink
  • 1.2W diode
  • constant-on switch
  • powered by 2 "C" cell batteries
  • outputs are sold in <300mW (and rarely get that high)

Hercules

herc.jpg

This laser is just plain cool (as is Laserglow's customer service). It has the features of a tabletop module, with the (somewhat) portability of a handheld. It's about the size of a 3D Maglite: a bit bigger than the others I've gone over. This laser was designed more for scientific and industrial applications, but can be used for consumer purposes as well. Only a few people on the forums have this laser b/c of it's high price... this laser has a lot to offer though:

Features/Specs:

• FULLY FDA compliant(notification LED, key, end dongle, shutter, and turn-on delay)
  • built in heatsink
  • built in cooling fan!
  • 2.0W diode
  • constant-on switch
  • powered by 3 "D" cells or AC wall adapter
  • outputs are sold in <450mW
  • auto-shutoff feature (when cavity temperature reaches >50 degrees Celsius
  • TTL modulation input
  • very stable

PGLIIIA aka Envee

A.jpg

Probably one of the best bang for the buck modules around (in terms of mW per dollar). These are made by CNI, the makers of the PGLIII (well duh!). The best way to obtain one of these is through Lucent Optics, started by one of our own here at CPF.

Features/Specs:

• FULLY FDA compliant (notification LED, end dongle, and turn-on delay)
  • internal heatsink (surrounding diode) for extended use
  • 500mW diode
  • powered by 2 "AA" batteries
  • outputs are sold in >100mW and less

Optotronics PPL

PPL.jpg

These are sold by a fellow forum member, "bootleg2go" (JacK). He is a great guy to deal with, as many people here will attest to. You could say he is the Arnold Beland (owner of Atlasnova, which I will get to) of the handheld world. These lasers are known to be nice and stable for long periods of time, and have some great outputs for the money.

Features/Specs:

• FULLY FDA compliant (notification LED, key, shutter, and turn-on delay)
  • built in heatsink
  • 1.2W diode
  • constant-on switch
  • outputs are sold in <300mW (and rarely get that high)
  • very stable

Optotronics RPL

This laser looks about the same as the PPL, except it is powered with an included rechargable type 18650 lithium battery. This eliminates the need for buying any Duracells, Energizers, etc. (it will save you a load of $$$ in the long run!). This laser is different from the PPL technically speaking too:

Features/Specs:

• Partially FDA compliant (notification LED, key, shutter, and turn-on delay)
  • built in heatsink
  • 2.5W diode
  • constant-on switch
  • powered by included rechargable type 18650 lithium battery
  • outputs are sold in <310mW
  • auto-shutoff feature if the laser overheats
  • very stable

Spyder (532nm)

spyder.jpg

The Spyder has had many improvements with stability issues according to many members, and hopefully with the excess IR as well (which causes them to be so powerful). The Spyder II is due any day now, which many users are looking forward to. Though the specs have yet to be publicly released, it seems that this new model will have many improvements over it's 1st gen brother.

Features/Specs:

• NOT fully FDA compliant (lack of safety features)
  • no external heatsinking
  • 1.0-1.2W diode
  • powered by 2 "CR123A" cells
  • outputs are sold in <300mW
  • waterproof (up to 5m)

Handhelds (other)

Yellow (593.5nm) DPSS Laser Module

ydpss1.jpg

This is another one that I have yet to get my hands on. Cool color, and stable too! Not the same old same old.

Features/Specs:

• PARTIALLY FDA compliant (notification LED, key, shutter)
  • FULLY FDA compliant if purchased from LaserGlow
  • built in heatsink
  • unknown power pump diode
  • constant-on switch
  • outputs are sold in <10mW

GPL473

BlueCNI.jpg

This is CNI's blue (473nm) laser pointer. It's more the size of a handheld module, which is why it's being included in this section. Very few people have this laser. In fact, "The LED Museum" is the only user I have seen to have purchased one. His review says it all.

*update: this unit has been completely redesigned due to stability and output issues. The new casing is no longer silver, but a smaller, glossy blue one. The new version of this unit is now powered by 1 "CR-2" battery

Features/Specs:

• FULLY FDA compliant (depending on output purchased)
  • NO built in heatsink
  • diode output unknown
  • powered by 2 "CR2" batteries
  • outputs are sold in >10mW

Spyder (473nm)

This unit looks EXACTLY the same as the other Spyder units, except it outputs @ 473nm. I haven't heard much about this unit at all, as it it pretttty pricey. It is available through other retailers, but they simply purchased in bulk from Wicked.

Features/specs:

• NOT FDA compliant (b/c of higher blue output)
  • NO built in heatsink
  • powered by 2 "CR123A" batteries
  • outputs are sold in >40mW

Wicked Sonar

I group this new laser w/ the modules, simply because of its form factor. While it seems to be the smallest blue pointer yet, it doesn't quite fit the pointer profile. Call it what you want; it still functions the same regardless. It uses the infamous new Sony blu-ray diode, outputting a raw 20mW.

bluRay.jpg

Features/specs:

• NOT FDA compliant
  • NO external heatsinking
  • powered by 2 "CR123A" batteries?
  • directly injected Sony blu-ray diode @ 405nm
  • output: >20mW

Infrared (1064nm) Handheld

I have yet to test this device, or hear of anyone's experiences with it, but I can imagine when used properly it would be a great tool for experiments. This device should NEVER be used for play (popping balloons, lighting matches, etc). This device looks and functions the same as the PGLIII, so no image is necessary (you cant see the beam anyway).

Features/specs:

• SHOULD BE USED W/ EXTREME CAUTION DUE TO HIGH INFRARED OUTPUT!
  • FULLY FDA compliant
  • powered by 2 "D" batteries
  • sold in outputs >500mW

Red (660nm) Handheld

I have yet to test this device, or hear of anyone's experiences with it, but it must be amazing to see in person. Deep into the red spectrum, it outputs a beautiful shade of color. I want one!

Features/specs:

• FULLY FDA compliant
  • powered by 2 "D" batteries
  • sold in outputs ~200mW

Pointers

Leadlight

ll.jpg

First up, is probably the most popular, and widely known greenie to date: the Leadlight. This pointer comes in 2 versions: the 105, and the 110. The 105, the original, is the highly moddable, more popular one. This unit has been known to exceed ouputs of 50mW and beyond. Some more experienced modders have gotten similar results with the 110. The 110 has the "APC" function... a part of the driverboard is dedicated to regulating output and stabilization of the laser. This APC function is the reason that the 110 is harder to modify for higher outputs.

Features/specs:

• FULLY FDA compliant
  • powered by 2 "AAA" batteries
  • very stable

Atlasnova Leadlight

atlasnova.jpg

Atlasnova is the only destributor in the world who supplies ALL black leadlights. Also, his leadlights can be purchased at higher outputs (>60mW for example). After close examination of these pointers, some have said that larger diodes and crystal assemblies are used (in the 105 version). Arnold and Alvine Beland, owner and wife, are absolutely WONDERFUL to work with. Arnold makes the sale decisions for minors, as well as for high spec units over the telephone; Alvine handles the sales end. Enough cannot be said about Atlasnova.

Features/specs:

• FULLY FDA compliant (until modified)