123A lithium battery disposal

Ivanhoe

Newly Enlightened
I know this should be well known to me but where does one properly dispose of these? I tried to get a local radio shack to take them off my hands but the clerk took one look at my bag full of surefire batts and said "we can't take THOSE batteries." :huh2: It was one of those "had to be there to see the look on his face" moments...

I tried the search function but it was not kind to me today!

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's because it was Radio Shack and the clerk is probably one of those acne-impared geeks that likes to make things up on the spur of the moment. Take it to another store, or to one of the other stores that will take batteries for recycling, like an Orchard Supply, Sears, Home Depot, or any of the other stores that are listed on the recycling web sites. Quite honestly, I don't know where Radio Shack finds some of those mental giants. There was a time when I thought they hired the rejects from Fry's but Fry's doesn't reject anyone, not even if you speak English as a primary language.

On a better note, it's commendable that you are making an effort to recycle those in a responsible manner even though many people still just throw them in the garbage.

Ivanhoe said:
I know this should be well known to me but where does one properly dispose of these? I tried to get a local radio shack to take them off my hands but the clerk took one look at my bag full of surefire batts and said "we can't take THOSE batteries." :huh2: It was one of those "had to be there to see the look on his face" moments...

I tried the search function but it was not kind to me today!

Size15's

Flashaholic
In case anybody from work is reading:

Please take all reasonable efforts to recycle and ensure that the environment is enhanced for current and future generations.

For my part I drink bottled beer so I can recycle glass.
I also hoard used SF123A batteries for reasons yet to be determined.

Al

Ray_of_Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
Many recycling centres for used batteries from households pickup Ni-MH and Ni-CD cells and throw away all primaries.
They are also looking for lead from car batteries.

Anthony

Ivanhoe

Newly Enlightened
Thanks, Al.. I don't know where I got it in my head that they needed special precautions.

batterystation

Enlightened
Up in Iowa and down here in Southern Missouri, you just put a bin out back that says "lithium battery recycle bin" and the meth makers steal all of them. I sure do wonder what they do with them.......HAHAHAHA (kidding about the bin of course)

Ivanhoe

Newly Enlightened
:lolsign: the meth labbers are in force here in central ca as well...

BTW - Kevin, just put an order through for some replacement 123's and a couple rechargeable 123's as well... You've shown some great cust. service on some recent threads and I think that's commendable.

Rod

jarobi

Enlightened
batterystation said:
Up in Iowa and down here in Southern Missouri, you just put a bin out back that says "lithium battery recycle bin" and the meth makers steal all of them. I sure do wonder what they do with them.......HAHAHAHA (kidding about the bin of course)

More true than funny...that would cause huge unemployment in the loss prevention industry. They couldn't watch the lithium battery section at Wal-Mart anymore to bust meth cooks shoplifting them...

Illum

Flashaholic
DCFluX said:
I would have used the dumpster behind the store.

lolz :lolsign:

Brighteyez said:
That's because it was Radio Shack and the clerk is probably one of those acne-impared geeks that likes to make things up on the spur of the moment. ...

You've obviously never worked in Radioshack... Its not us that wants to be picky, the store sets rules on things and the "why?" is always refered back to "the protocol"

I left because of the extraordinary pickiness about things...,

jarobi said:
More true than funny...that would cause huge unemployment in the loss prevention industry. They couldn't watch the lithium battery section at Wal-Mart anymore to bust meth cooks shoplifting them...

They're eventually going to require a license/prescription to buy larger lithium batteries. Oregon has a serious meth problem. One of the critical precursors, Pseudoephedrine is kept behind the counter and you have to show them your driver's license to get it. The pharmacist writes it down and keep a record.

They're proposing going even further and requiring doctor's prescription.

InfidelCastro

Banned
There's probably lots of meth heads that order the cheapest possible Chinese lithium batteries off of Ebay in huge lots.