Pay Pal Account Review?

Sturluson

Enlightened
Never follow the links on this type of email.

I get them all the time on an old browser-based email account, one that picks up a lot of spam. The theory on the scammer's part is to send out ten thousand emails to random address and if one or two or three recipients respond, then they're in business. They'll take the account information you give them and strip your account.

Forward the email to [email protected]. I don't know PayPal's spoof link, but I've memorized eBay and since they own PayPal, it seems to work. They, in theory, will track down the offender and put them out of business.

savumaki

Enlightened
These damn things come in waves, I might get as many as 8-12 in a week and the it drops to one or two.

I've reported these each time to the point where I even recognize some of the senders and it doesn't seem to help one iota; now I tag them as 'junk' mail and if he sends it again the mail filter treats it accordingly.

It was already mentioned but bears repeating;

If you have any doubts, log into your account at PP and you can confirm IF any changes are required.
NEVER reoly to the email.

Karl

bruddamoke

Newly Enlightened
There is another one going around that looks like it's from Ebay. Subject line is "Your Bid Has Been Canceled." I get these and PayPal spoofs regularly, but they tend to come in spurts. I diligently forward these as spoofs to the respective areas, and can only imagine how many they get, if everyone is reporting and forwarding. Sheesh.

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
I've never received a PayPal spoof email, but interestingly today when checking my public (hotmail) email junk folder, There was one from PayPal with the subject "Annual Privacy and Electronic Fund Transfer Rights Notice." I opened it and found Hotmail had censored it for "my protection." I clk'd "lemme see it," and it was quite legit. It had Paypal's addy which wasn't clickable nor were there any other links in the body of the message. Nice to know that even Hotmail is attempting to protect its users from fraud. I clk'd "not junk." PayPal will never email you with a link request for info! They might request you to "go to their site and log-in" if there is a problem with your account, but it will never be in the form of a link. That's my understanding of rip-off avoidance.

Larry