• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

HD45 HELP!

nakahoshi

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello! I have an HD45 WWOT, and i just love the output. Im having a problem though. It seams that sometimes, when i go to turn on the light, it will engage to low mode fine, but when i turn the head to continue to High mode, the light will shut off. I have to go back and forth to low mode to get the bright mode to engage. When i look down the battery tube, about an inch down there is a silver ring. This is the contact ring for the negative contact. Is this surface supposed to be smooth? It seams rough, like a sharp edge that follows around the center (perhaps where the kilroy (i think((low mode triangle contact gizmo)) has dug into it) could it have done this? Has anyone had a problem similar to this?
please help!
-bobby

Edit :
hd45.jpg

Can you see the sharp edges?

Last edited:

Fringe

Enlightened
I believe the Kiroy rubbing is pretty normal, I have read, and mine does it too. The only thing I can think of is cleaning ALL contact areas and threads. Go to Radio Shack and get some Pro-Gold for your contacts, this has worked wonders for me, but I believe bernie or Don could help you further than I.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Kilroy will break in a channel in the seat as you have seen here. If you are getting any light at all, Kilroy is making contact as needed and you should get thelow level. For high level, the contact ring must make contact with the same shoulder that has Kilroy's groove. I think your failure to get high is due to poor or no contact of the contact ring with the shelf. I believe Wayne has had to fudge with this by loosening the converter screw and off centering the converter to put part of the contact ring further out, off axis.

Stretching this X2 design to allow for the large bore (18650) has not been without some tolerance issues and this is my fault; my design. Sorry! :(

nakahoshi

Flashlight Enthusiast
McGizmo said:
I think your failure to get high is due to poor or no contact of the contact ring with the shelf.

No, its because flashlights are my anti drug!
Back to the HD45, Im going to give it a real good cleaning with progold tonight. Would it help to put some some solder contact points around the contact ring on the head? as long as it is not further then the killroy, that should help. That would be a last resort anyway. Thanks for the help. Should be able to work this out. :thanks:

nakahoshi

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok, all better now! Progold does do wonders! What i think happend, is kilroys groove was filled with gunk, i wiped over the surface, but i had to get in there with a tooth pick to really clean it out. After that, it works really smoothly. It works better then when i first got it! :ohgeez: I think after kilroy finds his groove, all is well!