new lathe

Data

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is my new lathe. Well it's not new, it is a 1993 Mori Seiki SL-00. I got this about 4 months ago but have not had time to use it.

Keith, in the pictures, made the heads and started the knobs for the SPY.

HV1T8007.jpg

The LUL was a blast to drive. It is so powerful it could have picked up my big truck and put it on the roof.

HV1T8010.jpg

Yea that is a SPY. :grin2:

HV1T8011.jpg

It just fit through the door, so I had to put it on Teflon pads and pull it over the steel sheets.

HV1T8013.jpg

Just fits.

Dave

Last edited:

aosty

Enlightened
I thought it was hot and humid in PA right now?

:drunk:

P.S. Nice!

modamag

Flashlight Enthusiast
Data: cool toy (I mean "spy" j/k). I thought you had this up and running since March. Did you ever get the graphics option?

PEU: The cost of one of these baby is ~= 60 spy or 140 NEOCA.

Data

Flashlight Enthusiast
No, they want $6000 to add the graphics option. Not going to happen. I will just use an editor with a back plotting feature.

Data

Flashlight Enthusiast
PEU said:
Yeah, WE WANT MORE PHOTOS DAVE !!!

Well at least I want more photos :ohgeez: I'm a sucker for CNC machines :)

Pablo

Pablo, you are just like me, I love to watch videos of machines. I would like to see more pictures of your lathe or maybe even a video. Do you have any pictures from your Neoca turning?

The g-gode editor and backplotter program I am using is very helpful. I have programed the SPY head in it using 8 tools (all there is). The plotter lets me get my ducks in a row before I try to cut air. (keep in mind I am new to lathes). The editor has a DNC mode that lets me transfer the program to the lathe and that I have done many times as I was developing the program. I cut a couple pieces of wax and it is working good. I will make a video of it making the head and get it posted here in the next coupe weeks.

After the wax I will try cutting aluminum then on to titanium. I got a couple feet of the 1" diameter 6al4v bar. Can't really shoot video of the machine cutting metal because it will be spraying coolant all over the stock and cutter.

Dave