Introducing FluPIC V2.2 firmware - User Guide UP!

goldserve

Flashlight Enthusiast
In V2.2, I have incorporated a few changes. Some will be happy about it, some might not. Anyways, list of changes:

- PWM frequency 2 x of V2.1 (Might or might not help much with those people complaining)
- Strobe settings reduced to 9 from the 12 in V2.1 but it is able to go from 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 18 hertz
- Brightness settings reduced to 10 so each brightness level will be noticable compared to the old levels 15-20. The new ones correspond to the old ones by {1,2,3,5,7,9,11,14,17,20}
- Slowed down brightness adjustment mode
- Changed the way strobe is set (strobe, off, strobe, off...)
- Defaulted to 1s or 1000ms instead of the 800ms and 1200 ms option. (I can still take custom timeout requests for programming)
- Added a beacon mode and replaced all SOS with beacon in modes 2-4 but left SOS in mode 5. (Beacon is blink, pause 5 seconds, blink, pause 5 seconds...)
- Beacon mode linked to brightness level 2 so you can set the brightness of the beacon as well
- Finally, the SOS complies to the international standard. It is much slower but that's how it is. 1/3s on, 1/3 second off, 2 seconds between letters, 1 second for long, 3 second between s-o-s...

userinterfacev224ls.png

userinterfacev2222un.png

Cheers! That's it for now!

PS: ROM usage at 97% and RAM usage up to 86%. I can't fit anything else in...

Last edited:

mosport

Enlightened
Re: Introducing FluPIC V2.2 firmware

Nice to see this evolution Kevin! Can't wait to try out the new firmware :thumbsup:

bombelman

Flashlight Enthusiast

COOL !! Great news Kev !!

EDIT: Beacon mode can give my ArcLS the capabilities of Arc4 :grin2:

Last edited:

Tom M

Newly Enlightened

Is the micro OTP or reprogrammable? I have a Jil Intelli but would be interested in 2.2. Thanks!

goldserve

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yes, reporgrammable but I'd like to refrain from getting all these lights to reprogram because

1. This is not my permant address and i'll be leaving in 1 month
2. Mail gets lost and I can not be responsible for all these lights coming to me. I say this but I usually feel sorry for lost items and make up somehow. I don't want a bunch of lost lights.

chanamasala

Enlightened

Does anybody know if you could mount 3 SXOH Lux 1s and run them with a FLuPIC on a 3.7v Li-on? And if so, would series or parallel be better?

Planterz

Flashlight Enthusiast

The faster PWM pulsing makes a huge difference, IMO. Flicker is barely noticable in real-world use on low (level 5), and totally unnoticable unless you do the shakey thing in front of you on high (level 15). With the old, slower pulsing, the flicker would kinda bug me on low if I used it for walking around in the dark.

lightrod

Enlightened

Planterz said:
The faster PWM pulsing makes a huge difference, IMO..... With the old, slower pulsing, the flicker would kinda bug me on low if I used it for walking around in the dark.

I am amazed that anyone can notice the flicker in normal use - I think your neurons fire a lot faster than mine!

I actually have a lot of fun with the PWM, exploring the visual effect under different conditions (yes I am very easily amused).

chimo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Kevin, great job on this revision!

I think that you have made some excellent substitutions (10 vs 20 brightness levels), (Beacon vs SOS) and easier strobe setting.

I even like the change to colour on your manual. ;)

Cheers,

Paul

goldserve

Flashlight Enthusiast
You could print out the images. Sorry, my computer is biting the dust so I will not install adobe pdf maker. I'll see if I can get my friend to do something...

Hondo

Flashlight Enthusiast
:twothumbs goldserve! This upgrade includes everything on my wish list except closer low level spacing, as in {1,1.5,2,2.5,3,4...}. Maybe when more memory becomes available. I like the beacon idea, but that SOS could still be reached on mode 5. Now I am going to be forced to buy one of the next run of FF3's to get the new FluPIC :ohgeez: :broke: .

goldserve

Flashlight Enthusiast
You could get doug to offer som UWOJ, Flupic V2.2 trade-up program or something like that =D

1, 1.5, 2.5 is not possible due to technical limitations. But you may find the low levels are slightly lower than the V2.1.

lightrod

Enlightened
Hondo said:
:twothumbs goldserve! This upgrade includes everything on my wish list except closer low level spacing, as in {1,1.5,2,2.5,3,4...}. Maybe when more memory becomes available. I like the beacon idea, but that SOS could still be reached on mode 5. Now I am going to be forced to buy one of the next run of FF3's to get the new FluPIC :ohgeez: :broke: .

FWIW use of a primary CR123 cell in this light gives the option to go dimmer. MUCH dimmer. I'm warming up to the idea myself!

With those cells I like a "dim" level (e.g. level 2), and a general "working level" (level 8). Then you always have the max (level 20) that's certainly not 70 lumens but a very decent amount of light at maybe 25 lumens, and without runtime worry (which keeps me from running burst on the rechargables much anyway!).

I have no data whatsoever but bet that in addition to getting excellent runtimes on max (the light does not get warm at all), you'd get killer runtimes on low or mid. Possibly a more practical/useful setup by trading in short bursts of max output capability.

Hondo

Flashlight Enthusiast
goldserve said:
You could get doug to offer som UWOJ, Flupic V2.2 trade-up program or something like that =D

1, 1.5, 2.5 is not possible due to technical limitations. But you may find the low levels are slightly lower than the V2.1.

No complaints here, and a little lower low end sounds good too. Upgrading is indeed a practical idea, but may conflict with the core CPF value I have followed so well - buy both!

lightrod, spot on! I was very impressed with the utility of a primary while waiting for my first battery to charge, and indeed this creates the additional low levels from my "wish list". I really only use burst to show off how bright my tiny light is to friends, so this is a practical solution for daily use. I would definitely go with a primary, for the killer run time, if taking my FF3 on a backpacking trip, where a spare is actually a burden. I am sure this alternative would work equally well on all FluPIC lights.

Cabo

Banned
Is there a "blink locator" mode available or is the beacon mode the same thing more or less? Wish strobe frequencies were user adjustable or are they?