IE 7 Beta 3

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK, I downloaded the Beta version just to check it out and now have NO IE connection.

My Firefox continues to work properly, but I get this when I try to run IE:

Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage

Most likely causes:

• You are not connected to the Internet.
  • The website is encountering problems.
  • There might be a typing error in the address.
What you can try:

Check your Internet connection. Try visiting another website to make sure you are connected.

Retype the address.

Go back to the previous page.

More information

All my other stuff seems to work normally. I've checked all the connection protocols, everything seems normal there as well.

Ideas?

Bill

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
I run several browsers IE "NOT" being one of them...but I've been getting that message when I try to do my "Window's Update"...

I don't mean to hijack the thread - but it's a similar problem...any ideas? What's going on? I'm lost, seems to happen when I access the MS Window's Update page.

eluminator

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's a sucker born every minute :) Millions of testers, free of charge.

I've heard of others having problems with this. That's the good news. I've also heard they couldn't uninstall it completely so they couldn't get I.E. 6 working again.

Next time you are bored, install a second XP on your computer. You can try out all kinds of beta stuff or just new programs in general, and there's no harm done.

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK, I tried those ideas, no go.

Anymore guys?

I had had the problem that Sigman mentions above with IE6 and accessing the windows page as well, but only episodically.

In fact I have 3 updates that are not installing for some reason, and thinking about this problem, it all started about the same time as those 3 updates not installing automatically.

Bill

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have now tried all the things suggested here, with no luck!!!

I really appreciate the help so far!!

Any other ideas anyone?

I have uninstalled IE7 Beta 3 and I'm back to IE6, but I still get the "This page cannot be displayed" message.

Bill

chimo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have you checked to ensure that the WORK OFFLINE selection under the FILE Menu is not checked?

I am using this version on one of my PCs and it had no problem with the upgrade.

Paul

jarobi

Enlightened
I'd recommend going over to the PCMechanic Forums. www.pcmech.com
Register and shoot it to them. A great bunch of folks with a lot of knowledge.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
Reinstall the OS.

I'm being serious. IE has been (needlessly) welded into and integrated with Windows since Windows 98. Even if you use another browser (or don't use the browser at all), IE is still running in the background.

Weigh your options. How long will it take to rebuild the system vs searching for a fix for a beta test of a core Windows component?

Or, you can leave it as-is, use Firefox, and hope that no serious vulnerabilities remain.

Personally, I use firefox and download IE updates regularly - even though I rarely use it - just to keep my system reasonably hardened.

SolarFlare

Enlightened
I downloaded IE 7 beta a while back it wouldn't even install :crackup:, I'll stick with opera I think.

eluminator

Flashlight Enthusiast
You probably tried this, but I'll mention it. Click Tools > Internet Options > Advanced tab > Restore defaults.

You can also restore the security default level on the Security tab.

I'd also see if I could browse the Web with Windows Explorer. If you haven't noticed, it has the same Favorites as I.E. It probably won't work either, because it's pretty much the same program as I.E., but stranger things have happened.

rdh226

Enlightened
Can you access anything with it?

http://www.google.com ??

http://www.tiac.net/~rdh/http/index.htm ??

Google is my "reference" site, to check for network connectivity (it's fast, simple,
and a small page to load); ditto my home page, which is guaranteed to be simple,
yea even downright obsolete with even less fancy HTML code than Google -- just
text and a few small .gif/.jpg images for a touch of color).

Can you visit a local file (File -> Open, usually Control-O)?

What about Help -> About ?? Can it even acces its own online help/docs?

Did it somehow decide to turn on (or off?) HTTP Proxy service on you? (No idea
what the clickies would be for that, you'll hafta walk all the buttons till you find
something.)

Finally, one very nasty habit I've noticed (especially recently, and across the board,
Opera, FireFox, etc.) is complete MF when installing a new browser over an earlier version:
They "claim" to be intelligent and try to upgrade preferences/options/etc., and
automatically import bookmarks and all; mostly what they do is get very confused.
Try to install completely clean. For Opera/FireFox/etc, this is fairly easy, just install to a
new directory, and politely decline all offers of automagically importing stuff (you can do
that later, one at a time, if you feel lucky). As IE is more, ah, integrated into Windoze, I
don't know if this is even possible. By now, you may have been irrevocably assimilated
into the I.E.Registry and nothing short of a clean reinstall of your entire system will
ever get you back into the light.

I use Norton Ghost to make image copies of my system disk for just this sort of
thing -- takes just "minutes" (cough cough) to completely restore to the state of the
system prior to whatever dumb/evil/naive thing I did/installed/removed/fondled
or otherwise somehow mutilated.

If you haven't turned off the "System Restore" (aka massive invisible disk hog), you might
be able to "restore" to your state prior to the IE install, but I don't know how to
invoke that particular diety.

Good luck!

-RDH

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks guys.

I could access stuff on my computer, but it was like it could not see the internet connection, Google is my easy reference, too. Firefox worked fine. I tried all the connection stuff I knew.

I've had so many problems with Norton products that I've never tried Ghost, but it may be worthwhile. I KNOW, Norton builds good stuff, I used them for years, but over the last 2-3 years, everything I tried with it tanked.

Well, I removed or shut off all the security software I run, including LiveOneCare, Panda, Spybot, Adaware, etc one at a time. When they were all removed it still wouldn't work.

I then removed Office2003, which had an update which would not install, and then reinstalled and reupdated everything.

I did not reinstall the OS.

After the reinstall, everything works properly.

So evidently, something in that Office update interacts with something in IE which interacts with something in the security software I was running.

Sort of weird!

I had a friend who is one of CBS radios information systems manager/engineers over and he was able to walk through everything and get it going, but says he had never seen those particular conflicts before, even though he is very familiar with all the software I run.

He doesn't think it was IE7 that caused the problem, but a combination of little problems. I am now running IE7 Beta 3 with NO problems, it is fast, looks very similar to Firefox.

Bill

bjn70

Flashlight Enthusiast
I installed the Beta about a week ago, just for grins. It seems to work OK, but I don't use it much anyway, I use Firefox almost exclusively. However, installing the IE Beta DID screw up my outlook express. Now when I open Outlook Express, it says there is not internet connection. If I tell it to try again, then it does find the internet and download mail. Not a major thing but it is somewhat irritating.