5 Watt CYAN FIRE BREATHING DRAGON.

ElektroLumens

Flashlight Enthusiast
Following MrBulk's lead, I purchased a Garrity Ozark Trail 2 D cell flashlight. My battery pack didn't quite fit the 2 D cell, so I purchased a larger 3 D cell flashlight. It measures about 1" longer than a Mag Lite 3D flashlight.

Ozark.LS.1.jpg

I did the similar post (we should call it the 'Bulk Post'). I used a second aluminum square, drilled a hole in it, and slid it around the bulk post and epoxied it in place. This serves 2 purposes: one is to strengthen the post, in case the flashlight endures trama, and secondly, it should aid in better distributing the heat to the plate and flashlight body.

I replaced the stock switch holder with a switch holder that is for the Blaster, and wired the 6AA battery pack. I did not use any resistance. I put in 5 fresh AA batteries, and a dummy battery, and slid the holder into the flashlight. I use a 2" spring to hold this in place so it doesn't bounce and rattle around inside.

Having pressed the heat sink in the body, and epoxied the bulk post in place, and epoxied the emitter and soldered the wires up, I proceeded to singe my retinas in my eyes by testing the FBD (Fire Breathing Dragon). Not wise to do this to ones eyes!

I slightly enlarged the diameter of the hole on the stock refelctor, and .... tada ... focusable bright light!
grin.gif
shocked.gif
YES!

At a tight focus, I measure 8,440 lux! It will also open up the beam a bit (which I prefer). It will easily light up objects 300 feet away. AWESOME!

After about 10 minutes of run time, I measure 107F from the closest spot to the junction I can get, so it is not running hot at all, nor is it really being overdriven, as the internal resistance of the 3 AA batteries limit the current to about 700mA.

Here is a link to photos of this FBD:
CYAN Fire Breathing Dragon

As I did this as a test, and do not really need to have so many flashlights (so my wife tells me), I will make this available for a reaonable price $. I probably will not do another one of these.

Wayne Johnson
www.elektrolumens.com

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
Very nice, Wayne. Credit for the BulkPost pedestal actually goes to McGizmo, for he first came up with it in his SureFire 5W mod and it simply inspired me to do the same thing.

ElektroLumens

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by MR Bulk:
Very nice, Wayne. Credit for the BulkPost pedestal actually goes to McGizmo, for he first came up with it in his SureFire 5W mod and it simply inspired me to do the same thing.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Oh, okay, call it the 'Gizmo Post' then.
grin.gif

Wayne J.

ElektroLumens

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by ChrisM:
Is that light still available? If so, how much?
smile.gif
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I decided to keep it. If I were to make another one, I would make a few changes as regards the wiring. If the head is screwed down too tightly, I'm afraid it will cut into the wires. I should have cut slots down the shaft, so the wires would fit flush with the post. It does work well, though, but I'm not sure I want to sell it with this flaw? I would make another one to sell, but I may not have time, as I'll be busy with assembling the StarLux.

Wayne J.

ElektroLumens

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by ChrisM:
Well, if you do make another one, how much would you sell it for? Thanks.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">At some point I'll do this same mod in the StarLux, and it might be an option. Depends on how the stock reflector would work? Probably $69.99 or $79.99 ? I probably will not have time to dinker with this idea for a month or two? Not sure. There probably would not be a great demand for a cyan 5 watt. White, well, yes, I'm sure people would want a 5 watt white in the StarLux.

Wayne J.
www.elektrolumens.com

ElektroLumens

Flashlight Enthusiast
I did a test to see what the current is from 6 AA alkaline batteries. With 6 not real fresh batteries, hooked up to a 5 watt cyan emitter, I measure 1.2 amps. When I hook up a 2.2ohm 5W resistor, I measure 620mA. I have been running the 5 watt with 6AA batteries direct for some time. Now I know why it seemed to be exceptionally bright!
shocked.gif
Shining the beam into the air at night, it is like a laser beam. It acutally seems to hit the clouds! Amazingly intense and bright. My 9 year old says 'Wow, it's shining onto the clouds.'. Everyone who sees this thing is amazed.
grin.gif

It is becoming apparent to me that the 5 watt can be overdriven safely, if adequate heat sink is used.

Wayne J.
www.elektrolumens.com

lambda

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wayne,

Thanks for the update and info. I guess I'll have to get one of those Cyans to play with since the whites will be a while yet in coming out.

I've only got this Royal Blue 5W, and it's hard on the eyes.

ElektroLumens

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by lambda:
Wayne,

Thanks for the update and info. I guess I'll have to get one of those Cyans to play with since the whites will be a while yet in coming out.

I've only got this Royal Blue 5W, and it's hard on the eyes.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Well, cyan lights things up pretty good. Of course, color rendition is off. It will have to do until white comes out.

Wayne J.
www.elektrolumens.com

If I didn't do so many mods, I could get more work done!
grin.gif