Any beam shots of 5w LS vs. E2 or E2e?

SFR

Newly Enlightened
Has anyone posted any pictures of a 5 watt LS (any color) going "mano a mano" against an E2 or E2e?

Lots of beautiful pictures of the 5 watt LS going aginst a 1 watt LS, but I am curious to see how the new LED heavyweight contends with the longtime crowd favorite of handheld incandescents.

"Let's get ready to RUMBLLLLLLLLLLLLLE"

mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Here you go, except it's a cyan 5W putting out 9,420 lux from one meter, against a SureFire M4 with 500-lumen N62 lamp. Hope it's bright enough for ya
cool.gif
:

5W-vs-M4.JPG

hotfoot

Flashlight Enthusiast
MR Bulk, with photo evidence like that, its no wonder that SF is looking into LEDs the way they are now! Awesome!

Just for kicks - what does the 'ol LM631 read (in lux) for that 500-lm M4?

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
Dang it, I regret I didn't have a chance to do it before I sold it off (who needs an M4 when he has a Dragon?), but the 225-lumen LA metered at 11,000-something...

hotfoot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by MR Bulk:
Dang it, I regret I didn't have a chance to do it before I sold it off (who needs an M4 when he has a Dragon?), but the 225-lumen LA metered at 11,000-something...
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Awww.. shucks. But wow - think about it for a minute - the regular LA clocked 11K+, and the 120-lumen Dragon did 9K+. That's 225 lumens vs 120 lumens - an 87% output rating difference, but the actual measured lux value isn't 87% apart. ie. that 225 lumen bulb is supposed to be 87% brighter, but it isn't!

I dunno how the LM631 is tuned, but if it accurately mimics the CIE human eye response, that's fantastic news! The incandescent/LED gap is shrinking....

r2

Enlightened
Don't forget that lumens is a measure of the total output while the lux readings are at a point. Of course, the SF incandescents are usually noted for having a tight beam so you'd expect this to sway things the other way...

Another point worth noting is that the cyan emitter puts out all its light at about the same wavelength. If you happen to hit one that picks up well on the meter you'll get a distorted reading. I don't know how well your meter handles that. In another thread someone compared minimags and 1w LS mods and got much higher readings from the incandescent, contrary to common perception. I think in that case the meter he was using was more sensitive to the color of the incandescent (or possibly the infrared output that the LS lacked).

Still, this is encouraging. I just hope the whites are really as bright as the colored emitters like the spec sheets indicate.

- Russ

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
I know that certain colors are perceived as being brighter to the eyes, and in fact I used to have an aquagreen 4-led Nichia cluster in PR base that would (seem to) blast a LightWave 4000 into the weeds. But the light meter showed differently and brought me back to reality.

Just last week while on duty at 3 a.m. we had to check a ridgetop from the highway down below because there was a small rockslide, and we were looking for additional unstable areas -- I used this M4 which handily outshone everybody else's assortment of issued Streamlight rechargeables, multicell Mags, and a couple of smaller SFs. Then I handed it to someone to continue checking and brought out the Dragon. With the focused beam it seemd to light up the mountainside as well, if not better, than the M4 (although admittedly I only had the MN60 lamp in it). I can only imagine how well it would have done with a truly white beam compared to all those yellow incandescents.