Is a UCL from flashlightlens.com "clearer" than the stock Surefire pyrex lens?

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is a UCL from flashlightlens.com "clearer" than the stock Surefire pyrex lens?

I'm considering buying a 6P or Z2 Combatlight and am wondering if anyone knows if there is a difference.

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
Re: Is a UCL from flashlightlens.com "clearer" than the stock Surefire pyrex lens?

KDOG3 said:
I'm considering buying a 6P or Z2 Combatlight and am wondering if anyone knows if there is a difference.

it sure is, especially the new UCL's with the "Blue" film.

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Is a UCL from flashlightlens.com "clearer" than the stock Surefire pyrex lens?

Sweet... may have to get one.

rcashel11

Newly Enlightened

SureFire's Pyrex window seems clearer than my UCL's coating that looks greenish.

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic

KDOG3 said:
Sweet... may have to get one.
I dont think the difference would be worth changing them out. The difference in brightness would not be visible with the naked eye. Pyrex is alot tougher than UCL, thats why SF uses it.

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hello KDOG3:)

Here exist a thread about the differences in light output in comparison of UCL, Pyrex and others. If I remember right, the new UCL will have about 10% more output than Pyrex. 98 or 99% overall.

Best regards

_____
Tom

G35

Newly Enlightened

I compared a BORA vs UCL on a Mag EverLED. Using a lightmeter, the UCL had 10% greater brightness than the BORA.

yazkaz

Flashlight Enthusiast

So how tough is the UCL, is this type of glass tempered also?

kennyj

Enlightened

I've used UCLs a little... they aren't as durable as Pyrex.

That said, they definitely transmit a little more light.

If your light is already bright enough, stick with Pyrex. If you really think that extra 5-10% brightness is going to help, go for the UCL. Truthfully, it matters more for smaller lights in darker environments, where that little bit of light makes a difference, than for the light cannons that turn night into day regardless of what window they're pushing through.

yazkaz

Flashlight Enthusiast

chevrofreak said:
UCL's chip very easily around the edges.

Sure that's not a good thing. That's why I prefer B270s more