How do I modify my light?

benp1

Newly Enlightened
This is a very basic question, and the variables are enormous I know. But I have a big incandescent torch, its sitting in my tool box and is about 4d i think (its been such a long time since i've used it). i now want to upgrade it so i can leave it in my car.

What should I do next? I want to put in a luxeon LED ideally, but i don't know how to do this or what i should do? I don't know what specifications I want, don't know where to buy them (I'm in the UK) and don't know how to actually put it in

It obviously has a bulb in it already, I know it works, how do I fit the LED into it? I basically want it to be a bright light with a very LLOOONNNNGGGG runtime...... Your help would be greatly appreciated.

leeleefocus

Newly Enlightened
Have a look at the EVERLED it should just drop in to your light. I don't know if it will be bright enough for you but on 4D cells you should get really long run time. on 3D cells it will run for atleast 12 hours in regulation. It will run on 1.5-9V so you can put it in other torches also.

benp1

Newly Enlightened
Didn't realise that was available. Thanks, looks like a great buy. The only thing is that for that kind of money (around £30) I could buy myself another torch that would work as well if not better. Do you know what mods I could do myself to the torch? The EVERLED looks great, but I was hoping for something cheaper.

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast
the maglite brand equivalent of the everled sells for like $19 US at wallmart. I am not sure if they have a 4 cell version.

output is abysmal from my point of view (my lights are 10x the output).. but runtime would be phenominal..

if you want to make a killer mod for a resonable price.. get your hands on a K2 emitter.. figure out the right resistance to put in a resistor and direct drive it.. you can get 120-140 lumens of output which will be 3-4x what the everled or maglite version will be.. you will want to run from NiMH cells but those are not hard to find.

-awr