Surefire 12Z?

trouble

Newly Enlightened
A friend of mine just got one of these in trade, it's VERY bright! What's the story on this light? I've never heard of it, is it the father of the M4? How many lumens etc. What's it worth as he's not really into lights so I might have a shot at it!

CLHC

Flashaholic
That one has been discontinued for some time, but may be found occassionally. I forgot the Lumen output but it sure does have the SRTH which is still available from Lagger-Pro.Com

Enjoy!

lotsalumens

Enlightened
The 12ZM was a four cell 500 lumen light designed for short bursts. Its N62 bulb pulled enough current that runs longer than a couple of minutes could cause thermal shutdown in the batteries (never ran mine long enough to test this). I recently sold one for about $200 if that is any indication of current prices. I think in many respects it was indeed the father of the M4. They are not easy to find these days.

cfb

dragoman

Enlightened
SF also made a non-combat version called the 12PM, also 500 lumens.

I'm on the lookout for one of these so anyone who has one PM me....

Will post a WTB soon.

dragoman

Size15's

Flashaholic
CHC said:
That one has been discontinued for some time, but may be found occassionally. I forgot the Lumen output but it sure does have the SRTH which is still available from Lagger-Pro.Com

Enjoy!

The 12PM/12ZM/LeopardLight were more often supplied with the T-62 TurboHead - the so-called "TRTH" threaded-rim TurboHead rather than the Short-rim TurboHead. The TRTH had a slightly different reflector coating making it better for the N62 Lamp Assembly compared to that of the SRTH which is intended for the smaller filaments of the N1, N2, N4 & N5 Lamp Assemblies.

The 12ZM was the CombatLight version (hence the "Z") of the Tactical Entry Light. The 12PM was the straight bodied version (hence the "P"). The LeopardLight was the version intended to be mounted on scope rings on top of a rifle scope.

P267.jpg

P176.jpg

Technically the 12PM is the father of the M4 since they are both straight-bodied. The 12ZM is totally cool though. I always regret not buying one instead of my 12PM.

P43.jpg

trouble

Newly Enlightened
Size 15. you're the man! That's a very impressive lineup of SF's, how did you come by the prototypes if you don't mind me asking? My buddy said he'd trade me straight across for a Mosin Nagant M38 rifle, needless to say we're trading!:grin2: Does SF still make lamp assemblies for this light? Is the 500 lumen lamp the only one or will M4 lamps work? Thanks for the help.

Size15's

Flashaholic
trouble said:
Size 15. you're the man! That's a very impressive lineup of SF's, how did you come by the prototypes if you don't mind me asking?
I happened to live at the address they were sent to for several years... ;)

trouble said:
Does SF still make lamp assemblies for this light?
I am under the impression the N62 Lamp Assembly is still in the production cycle for SureFire. They likely don't make a batch very often though.

trouble said:
Is the 500 lumen lamp the only one or will M4 lamps work?
The MN60 and the MN61 work fine in the 12PM/12ZM. However, the old TurboHeads (SRTH, TRTH & "T") are not designed for such wide filaments and may not produce perfect beams in all combinations of lamp & reflector.

I myself personally and me have my 12PM with "T" 3" diameter TurboHead and an N62 lamp standing on my bedside table. Awesome.

Al

schrenz

Enlightened
I knew, that Al will post his impressive Turboheadpictures:laughing:

To the toppic: The M4 Lamp Assemblies work very nice in the 12Z, I have one and its more "EDCble" than the M4 , about 100 G lighter and with a fantastic combat body, I wish I have a second one: One for the shelf and one as extrem-EDC:grin2: .
Greets Jens