I'm sick of the US and all you yanks...

leduk

Enlightened
....who have such a good time on the 4th of July.

Best wishes to all you US folks.
From me and, I'm sure, many others in the UK.

Cheers :lolsign:

dragoman

Enlightened
If you all hadn't been so stingy with the tea taxes we wouldn't be having the celebration :D

dragoman

eluminator

Flashlight Enthusiast
When we had taxation without representation, the government taxed our tea. Now we have taxation with representation and the government taxes everything. If you ever needed proof of the stupidity of humanity, there it is.

Hmmm... Maybe it's not stupidity. Maybe it's the yearning to live under the boot of others. I don't know.

We'd probably be much better off if we were still a colony of Britain. It think it worked wonders for the Hong Kongers, until they were swallowed up by the mainland chinese. I guess I should let our Hong Kong friends be the judge of that.

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the well-wishes leduk. Your title is bound to "yank" more to this thread.

Independence Day is mostly an excuse to have fun over here. It feels odd to be celebrating our split from England so long ago when we are closest allies now.

As eluminator stated, it seems our own government is determined to tax us into poverty and we seem happy to let them do it, along with our civil liberties.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I think the tea has gotten a bit diluted by now, so I'm not gonna worry about it. Best wishes being sent across the pond to you also!

MScottz

Newly Enlightened
Uhh...looks VERY political here thanks to a couple of the posters, better clean it up before the mods shut it down!

Remember guys, not everyone here has the same political beliefs you have.

Last edited:

Cornkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
Seriously. Have you tried any of the Lipton tea that comes in plastic bottles? You can't tast tea... its sugar. ( High Fructose Corn Syrup, Artifical flavors, etc.)
Where has all the good tea gone!?!?

-tom

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Cornkid said:
Seriously. Have you tried any of the Lipton tea that comes in plastic bottles? You can't tast tea... its sugar. ( High Fructose Corn Syrup, Artifical flavors, etc.)

-tom

I haven't tried the stuff in the plastic bottles. The packaging suggests that it's aimed at the mass market that usually drinks soda, so that explains the ingredients.

Empath

Flashaholic
Cornkid said:

A tea critic that gives commercially bottled tea any consideration at all seems somewhat bewildering. As far as that goes, tea marketed like soda pop is bewildering.

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey, I thought the unsweeted, "naturally" brewed black and green teas from Trader Joe's were good! I've been drinking 20 - 40 oz. of them every day and I'm still not complaining. Of course, I am not a critic! Anyway, as far as sweetened, bottled (or fountain) teas go, the only one that I think is delicious is "Cooper's." I don't know how tea-ish it actually is, but it sure is tasty!

Anyway, thanks for the well-wishes, leduk! The only problem with 4th of July, this year, is that I don't have to work, it's already noon and I just woke up, and I'm going back to bed now. I suspect I'll be having a pretty hard time trying to fall asleep, tonight. The good thing, I'll be eating tasty tri-tip, burgers, corn, and mom's fabulous broccoli and potato salads in about 3 hours! (I better hurry up and nap!)

McGizmo

Flashaholic
I get a kick out of herbal teas that may consist of lawn clippings and garden droppings but not have an ounce of actual tea in them?!? :D :thinking:

As to the 4th, I think it was much easier to revolt against a power across the pond than it would be to revolt against one within the same geography and actually within the nature of man himself. There will always be just cause for change as well as conflict with those perfectly satisfied and well served with the situation presently at hand. Change requires sacrifice and sacrifice is a cost it is easiest to let someone else pick up the tab for. :nana: Most of us have already donated at the office! :grin2:

If we are unified and independent with cause for celebation, why the big deal in considering the red and blue states? How come we don't have red, white and blue states? :grin2: If you like parties, three would surely be better than two but if there were only one, it should be a real good party! I know fellow americans who approach St. Patrick's day with the same propensity to consume certain potables as they approach the 4th of July. Some might claim that there is an excuse at play more than a reason involved.

At any rate, those of us who will particiate in the 4th of July celebration, let it be safe and sane and enjoyable for all! As for me and my ramblings, I have no doubt that it is due to a great extent that the sacrifice of others has provided a haven for me to ramble with little fear of consequence and allow for the luxury of peace and even possibly prosperity even though :stupid:

Knight Lights

Enlightened
Thanks!!

The 4th is near and dear to my heart, having spent much of my first 2 decades living outside of the US.

As a famous sports figure once said, "It ain't perfect, but nowhere else is even close"!

Happy 4th to all who love freedom!!

Bill

cobra-ak

Newly Enlightened
dragoman said:
If you all hadn't been so stingy with the tea taxes we wouldn't be having the celebration :D

dragoman
I think the Stamp tax started it, but Kudos to the Brits and their respect of the Rule of Law and their work ethic, I cannot imagine Italy, Spain or Portugal and their propiertary cultures being our mother country.:thanks: