surefire Incandescent rechargable product please advice on the G2

the fuzz

Enlightened
I found this in a shop where i live

Is this product worth while to get for my G2

http://www.tkgear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=72_79&products_id=242

Why does it include this 1x PILA 3.7V 80 Lumen Lamp assembly with spring to fit into Surefire lights .. Would i have replace my original lamp to the above if i were to use the rechargeable or is it safe to use the lamp that came with the original G2

Does this product seem safe to use ?

thanks guys

D MacAlpine

Newly Enlightened
The kit that you're looking at is a single rechargeable Li-ion cell which is physically the same size as 2 "primary" (non-rechargeable) lithium cells. This produces a nominal voltage of 3.7v as opposed to 6v for the two lithiums, so you need a different lamp designed to run at the lower voltage. If you leave your old lamp in it won't damage it, but it won't be very bright either.

If you were looking for a rechargeable upgrade for your G2 consider this thread https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/123497. These 9v lamps can run off 2 rechargeable CR123 sized cells and will produce a lot more light than your current setup. You could get the cells and charger from AW or Dae for instance and they work out cheaper than Pilas. In this case the two rechargeable cells would "instaflash" (burn out) your original lamp if you left it in.

It is worth spending a bit of time reading throught the threads on Li-ion rechargeables if you are considering getting some. I don't mean to discourage you from doing this (I use them myself), but you should know the differences between them and primary cells.

Hope that helps

Don

Robban

Enlightened
the fuzz said:
its all to confusing .
ill stick to the originals surefire batts till i read abit more on the recharges
thank you
It all seems a bit overwhelming at first but stick with it, you will be happy you did. And if you get stuck you can always post a thread asking for clarifications :)

schrenz

Enlightened
D MacAlpine said:
snip... If you leave your old lamp in it won't damage it, but it won't be very bright either.

...snip
Don

To my mind that's not truth, underdriven incandescents have got a very short live-time.
I think for an amount of 153 Au$, you are able to by a lot of non-rechargable CR123s or order the SF rechargable-kit.
Are the 3,7V bulbs available as spare bulbs? (could be difficult)
greets Jens

NAW

Enlightened
I never tried it but I think this might work...If someone knows for sure please correct me.

I think you can get 2 protected r123 and a DRB-9VHP lamp. This will get you 175 lumens of light for 30 minutes.

But don't go out and buy it just yet. Id hate if someone goes out and buy it and does'nt work...

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
The G2 is an excellent light on its own merits. Running 9 volt lamps will damage the G2 plastic lens, particularly if left on for some time. I have tried running the P90 LA with two RCR123's in my G2, and the lens started melting in the center.

Bill

the fuzz

Enlightened
some good advice thank you

Ive just found a place in australia were they are selling surefire cr123 batts, 40 for 60$ Whic is excellnt IMO.

So ill stick to this for know
Thank you all :)

vector_joe

Newly Enlightened
mossyoak said:
the lens would be the least of your worries it has a polymer body which doesnt lend itself to thermal managemewnt very well meaning it would casue the batteries to overheat and shutdown

This sortof depends on how you use it. If you are going to take a walk with it and have it one for several minutes, you will probably have a thermal issue. But if you use it in a tactical sense where you only have it on for a few seconds up to a minute or 2, then it should be fine.

This is how I have my G2 set up and I use it for a minute or so at a time while on patrol. I have the G2 + g90 (9v bulb) + 2 unprotected rcr123's + UCL (glass lens). And it is perfect for me.

I even use it while jogging to light up some dark corners in the parts of our subdivision that have poor lighting.

Some more information here.

Also, Lighthound sells the kit including the charger (as in my setup above) for $35 US + shipping + $2 international shipping. The lens was a few $ more.

I love this setup and it rides on my duty belt taking turns with my tl3.

Last edited: