TL-3 Bulb + NF2 + (2) RCR123 = ?

Jeweler

Newly Enlightened
I said it in the title and I'm sure it's been asked but will it work. I know that the Surefire 6P with the 9V p90 lamp will produce a Great sleeper light on (2) protected RCR 123's. I plan on ordering a P90 lamp for that very purpose real soon.

So back to the Question, can I take my extra Streamlight TL-3 Bulb and place it in my Streamlight Nightfighter2 and add my Protected RCR123's from Lighthound? These cells come off the charger at 4.2v. The nf2 has a metal reflector and a glass lens.

I have everything in front of me to do this, but I don't want to blow anything up.

Really, I just want to know if it's safe to do?
Thanks Jim

Jeweler

Newly Enlightened
Well that didn't work. The TL-3 bulb worked for fit and 2 123's lit it up but the RCR123's did not light it up. Any idea's as to why this doesn't work?
Thanks alot
Jim

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Sounds like you are using protected RCR123's. Try double clicking, or triple clicking. I had to go to unprotected Powerizer RCR123's to get my P90 LA to work in my 6P. If using unprotected cells, turn light off when it starts to visably dim.

Bill

Jeweler

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the idea's. The Protected RCR123's where fresh off the charger and I did try double and tripple clip and still no light.

I thought people where getting protected RCR123's to work with the 6P P90 combo.
I may have to order a couple unprotected cell's when I order my P90
Thanks again for the help
Jim

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use 2x Protected 17500s in my TL-3 and it turns on with no problems. I had planned on doing the same thing as you: put a TL-3 bulb in my TL-2, and didn't think there'd be any probs since the protected Li-Ions work in my TL-3, but now I'm wondering.

Jeweler

Newly Enlightened
Well I guess I wasn't clicking fast enought, I got it to work. very cool and much brighter then stock. I wonder if shortening the spring would allow it to focus tight without unscrewing so much?
It would be cool to switch the reflector head to get the real TL_3 throw. It's on with locktight, maybe a trip to the oven would loosen the locktight?
Very nice the way it is though.

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
The TL-2, TL-3, and NF-2 heads don't unscrew. Only the bezels unscrew. The heads on those 3 lights are actually part of the body (all machined in 1 piece), so no swappability. I tried to take my TL-2 head off before and I finally called Streamlight who confirmed to me it was 1pc with the body.

Paladin

Enlightened
Looking inside Streamlight bodies convinced me they were machined separately. And I heated one up (removed the orings first) hot enough that the pine boards were charring..and still could not twist it free. So MAYBE they really are one piece. BUT they still look like two pieces to me!

I wanted to have a large TL-3 bezel on a TL-2 body. And the small TL-2 bezel on a TL-3 body. Just wanted them that way.

Paladin

Jeweler

Newly Enlightened
I just took this NF2 + TL-3 bulb + (2) Protected RCR123's out the last couple of night's on my walk with the dogs. The first night the light was matched with my stock patriotic 6P. Needless to say the NF2 killed the 6P. Next night after a full charge it went up against the Strion. Now this was a better matchup and the throw to my eye's was almost even as to what the lights could touch in the distance. The NF2 has a much larger hotspot so when it lit up the distant objects there was way more light on the target then with the Strion.
Last night the NF2 lost but just by a little. It went up against my stock TL-3 with three fresh 123's. I must say that when it get's this close a light meter would really help. Both light's had about the same looking bright hotspot and about the same looking spill. I think i could notice just a little difference real far off with the TL-3 just a little brighter and a little bigger hotspot, but boy was it close. I know there's people that will say there's a big difference but I'm just stating what I saw.

After looking at the TL-3 I think it is press fit together and won't come apart. I still don't think it's all one peice.
I have one of the new DRB-9VHP bulbs ordered for my 6P, I can't wait to match that up against the NF2. You know two weeks ago I couldn't give this NF2 away on BST literally, know it's one of my favorites.
Has anyone that runs a similar setup tried the Carley 1499 bulb with the (2) RCR123's? That might just be the perfect setup.
Thanks

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I never looked at the inside of the barrel/head. When I look at the outside, it does look like a single piece, but could easily be a tight press fit. When the SL rep told me it was 1pc, I accepted it because of the difficulty I had in opening it, but was a bit baffled on how they could machine the tube and head that way...would be hard even on a CNC.
Good to know the setup works in a 2cell tho. I plan on doing that with my TL-2, but since I have 17500s in my TL-3, it's been fun to play with without worrying about burning thru 123As.