Saw the Int'l space station and shuttle last night - awesome.

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
On Wedn night I went outside at 10:01pm with Wifey and saw the Int'l space station moving across the sky. Looked like a bright star, moving at high speed from NW to SE. Faster than a plane. Moved across the whole sky in a few seconds. Five minutes later, saw the space shuttle chasing it. 240 miles away, but bright and easily visible. Same trajectory. One of the coolest things I've ever seen.

Various websites will tell you when and where the shuttle and/or space station are visible from the ground. I highly recommend giving this a try, especially if you have kids who would like to see it. It blew me away.

cheers

Pydpiper

Flashlight Enthusiast
That would be a sight to see!
Maybe someone can point out one of the sites that help assist the visually challenged.. I only see stars. :)

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I skipped the fireworks on the 4th (painting) but stopped for a few minutes to check out the ISS. Pretty fun!

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
One of my fondest memories is standing in the backyard with my parents several years ago watching the ISS with the Shuttle about 3 fingers behind. They went from plowing with mules and lighting with kerosene, when they were young, to seeing that sight.

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you'll email NASA at the address on the sighting page, they'll put your location on the list.

watt4

Enlightened
as they get very close, would they appear as a close pair of lights travelling together? that would be neat.

Brock

Flashaholic
One of the coolest things I have ever seen was on a flight back from Hawaii, it was just after sunset at 30,000 feet and off to our south a HUGE fireball and smoke trail racing past us. It was one of the few night re-entries of the shuttle, a very cool sight indeed. The pilot did tell us before it happened and said we had to move north a couple hundred miles to clear the flight path. Very impressive to see.

LumenHound

Flashlight Enthusiast
Backyard astronomers will often try to capture some clear frames of the shuttle and ISS when they transit overhead.

You'd be surprised what an 8 inch scope with a webcam attached to it can do.

Take a look at some images a fellow from Wirral, UK recently snagged.

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
Check around the time scheduled for return. It's not hard to figure out from the website when they'll be separating.

emrbrtn

Enlightened
I use the heavens-above.com site alot. Amazing what you can see if you just look up at the right time.

daloosh

Flashaholic*,
Thanks for the info and link! Will try to catch it tomorrow nite, our first nite camping this year! Woohoo! This morning I complained to my wife that the hardest part of preparing to camp was upon me, deciding which lites and knives to bring!

daloosh

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
I furnished "spaceweather" for general info. It's great for meteor shower info and stuff like that. I use only the NASA site for ISS/Shuttle stuff.