Streamlight propoly 4aa,luxeon or xenon? I cant decide ... ..

PingMania

Newly Enlightened
Hi everyone,
I wass looking for some low cost torch(AA or AAA ),that must have very good throw . Streamlight propoly 4aa seems that is the better one,but now i see that there is 2 type -xenon or luxeon led..
I was thinking for a long time,and still cant decide which one will have a better throw,and brightest dot.. What will be the differense ? I have some luxeon torch and the light is very cool(white),but i never see the xenon torch.Maybe the beam will be more Yellow ?

pps.
I am sorry for my bad English :eek:

Last edited:

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
PingMania said:
Hi everyone,
I wass looking for some low cost torch(AA or AAA ),that must have very good throw . Streamlight propoly 4aa seems that is the better one,but now i see that there is 2 type -xenon or luxeon led..
I was thinking for a long time,and still cant decide which one will have a better throw,and brightest dot.. What will be the differense ? I have some luxeon torch and the light is very cool(white),but i never see the xenon torch.Maybe the beam will be more Yellow ?

pps.
I am sorry for my bad English :eek:

I've had both and can tell you the Xenon version sucks. Go with the 1xLuxeon version. It's a great light and I recommend Bright Guy for this.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I picked up a Xenon 4AA before the LUX version existed (or maybe before I was aware of it?) and it SUCKED! ROTTEN beam and unreliable!

I took it right back and paid the difference for a 3CXP!

I got a 4AA Lux off the Snap On truck as soon as I saw it. It ROCKS!!!!

And out in QUALITY dark woods, I could see everything with the 4AA LUX that I could see with a SF P60. And the 4AA will be that same brightness for over 4 hours!!!!

PingMania

Newly Enlightened
thanks to all :) , i was a little confused ,couse on some threads i read that the incandescent light has e a better throw

Now i must decide from where to get it. I live in Italy and sometimes the shipping cost is bigger then the torch cost :)

Last edited:

maxilux

Enlightened
What is the Problem with the PP4AA Xenon ?????
One of the brightest Flashlights (for this price) you can get !!!

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
The output is horrible. If you've ever seen the output from that lamp module, you'd understand. I suspect you're referencing numbers that you're reading from flashlightsreview.com or some other web site? I'm afraid the numbers don't really paint an accurate picture of the of the Xenon module. You would be better off with a Mag light and the standard Krypton bulb (which actually costs less than the SL PP 4AA in the U.S.)

maxilux said:

Last edited:

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
maxilux said:

You obviously have never really seen one. It's one of the worse incandescents available. A stock Mag will kick the snot of out it in regards to output and beam quality.

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Man, we must live on different planets or something.

I have both, and the xenon rivals several of my 2/123 lights in throw. I kinda thing of it as a poor mans tactical light. AND without eating 123's like peanuts.

A Mag might beat it, but it would have to be a five, or six cell light. Who wants to carry one of those.

The Luxeon, of course, is splendid.

Illum

Flashaholic
Go for the Luxeon...as with the replys, the Xenon isnt exactly getting high scores.

the Luxeon has far superior throw than any of my luxeon Is can put out...
and its OMGWTFBBQ cheap, uses easy to find alkalines and its almost diving rated, well...I've used it in a shower to test its applications, I dont know about diving

If you really can't decide...buy the luxeon and a xenon assembly and test the results yourself...the Luxeon and the parabolic reflector is probably the most spetacular combination I've seen. in fact, Im going to buy another SL PP 4AA Lux...

[I don't edc what has been brought into the bathroom, so I need another to replace it]

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a number of CR123 2-cell incandescents, everything from a Brinkmann Maxfire and Dorcy Spyder at the low cost end, and Streamlight TL-2 and Pelican M-6 at the moderate end, along with several others in between. I only have the one Xenon module, and while the throw is about at the lower end of the TL-2, the beam itself is shaped nothing like it. It's pretty bad compared to any of the tactical lights, even the Dorcy Spyder (which has a very powerful, but ugly beam.)

Insofar as Mags are concerned, a 3 Cell Mag with the stock krypton bulb will out throw the Xenon module, but then it will also outthrow most of the other 2 CR123 tactical lights as well. But then, the first thing that I used to do with a Mag is to toss the krypton bulb and replace it with one of the Xenons; these days it's more a matter of whether to put in one of the LED modules or one of the Xenons.

JohnK said:
Man, we must live on different planets or something.

I have both, and the xenon rivals several of my 2/123 lights in throw. I kinda thing of it as a poor mans tactical light. AND without eating 123's like peanuts.

A Mag might beat it, but it would have to be a five, or six cell light. Who wants to carry one of those.

The Luxeon, of course, is splendid.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
The bezel for the Luxeon version of the Propoly 4AA is too big to hold the Xenon reflector. The 7LED and the Xenon lamp assemblies both use the shorter bezel and the Lux module uses the longer one. The body from all three models though, is interchangeable.

Illum_the_nation said:
If you really can't decide...buy the luxeon and a xenon assembly and test the results yourself...the Luxeon and the parabolic reflector is probably the most spetacular combination I've seen. in fact, Im going to buy another SL PP 4AA Lux...

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can't see it any other way LUXEON!
I see clone surefires 2 CR123 xenon on ebay for as low as $25 shipped
the SL PP 4AA Luxeon sould be required in every house, like a smoke dectector.

clipse

Enlightened
I got the luxeon and the 7LED versions. I'm still a bit leary of my Luxeon. I had to send it back due to a deffective switch. It seems to be working fine now but only time will tell.

clipse

PingMania

Newly Enlightened
i think that will take this one.,the black one seems so cool :) http://cgi.ebay.it/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120004632567&sspagename=ADME:L:RTQ:IT:1#ebayphotohosting

the shipping cost to Italy is:
Airmail Letter Post (no insurance, no tracking) $14.00
or
Airmail Parcel Post (with insurance, but no tracking) $24.00
or
Global Express Mail (faster delivery time with insurance and tracking info) $32.00

at least this great torch will cost me more than 60$,and somethime there is also custom taxes(in Europe there is +20% IVA).... If someone have some suggestions for from where to buy ,can pm me :)

Last edited:

clipse

Enlightened
I have the Black. I used bright orange duct tape to wrap around the body incase I drop it out in the woods.

clipse

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Instead of taking risks buying things on eBay, why don't you just order one from a reputable dealer. I think Fox International ships internationally. http://www.fox-intl.com/ if you contact them by e-mail.

PingMania said:
i think that will take this one.,the black one seems so cool :) http://cgi.ebay.it/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120004632567&sspagename=ADME:L:RTQ:IT:1#ebayphotohosting

the shipping cost to Italy is:
Airmail Letter Post (no insurance, no tracking) $14.00
or
Airmail Parcel Post (with insurance, but no tracking) $24.00
or
Global Express Mail (faster delivery time with insurance and tracking info) $32.00

at least this great torch will cost me more than 60$,and somethime there is also custom taxes(in Europe there is +20% IVA).... If someone have some suggestions for from where to buy ,can pm me :)

PingMania

Newly Enlightened
Brighteyez said:
Instead of taking risks buying things on eBay, why don't you just order one from a reputable dealer. I think Fox International ships internationally. http://www.fox-intl.com/ if you contact them by e-mail.

Yes, thats is Truth ,but i allready check some dealers,but the shipping cost is too high...i allready have a answer from some dealer and is not convenient :
Shipping charges alone for the order will be approximately US
$57.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
The switch is part of the body, not the lamp assembly. The body is the same regardless of which bezel or lamp assembly it is paired with.

clipse said:
I got the luxeon and the 7LED versions. I'm still a bit leary of my Luxeon. I had to send it back due to a deffective switch. It seems to be working fine now but only time will tell.

clipse