• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

McKinley High or Ultra?

KAM

Newly Enlightened
Can't decide on which one to get
Is there a noticeable difference in output?
I plan to use rechargebles in it, how will this affect output and runtime?

Thanks
Kam

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would get the high VS the Ultra,
The high runs the LEDs at 30ma and the Ultra 40ma but you don't gain the brightness overdriving LEDs from the power you put in them. Rechargables are a higher voltage and will push the LEDs even harder so having them start off at a lower level will prevent overdriving them too hard.

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
get a High Power as it is 30 mA drive, not only LED's will last longer, the Battery Life will also be better. You cant go wrong with the High Power McKinley....

KAM

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the replies

I ordered a McKinley High to edc with my P1 and matterhorn, can't wait

Thanks
Kam

nemul

Flashlight Enthusiast
BentHeadTX said:
I would get the high VS the Ultra,
The high runs the LEDs at 30ma and the Ultra 40ma but you don't gain the brightness overdriving LEDs from the power you put in them. Rechargables are a higher voltage and will push the LEDs even harder so having them start off at a lower level will prevent overdriving them too hard.

sorry to bump an old thread, but does anyone know what the High and Ultra run at on RCR123?

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Old Style McKinley (non Snow versions) were very safe to run on R123's ... Not sure about the latest versions...

I have been using High Power Snow with regular batteries... and very happy with it... havent changed batteries since 8 months.. I regularly use the light ... atleast couple of minutes a day ...