Paul6ppca

Flashlight Enthusiast
http://flashlights.com/tl3aaa/index.htm

Has anyone tried this light,it looks like a nice small 2 stage light.$20
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/font]
  • [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Powered by 3 AAA alkaline batteries
    (included)
    [/font]
  • [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Two-stage switch for High or Low power[/font]
  • [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Deep reflective optic for a bright beam[/font]
  • [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Knurled body enhances grip[/font]
  • [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Anodized machine aluminum casing[/font]
  • [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif].5W Rigel 100,000 hr LED[/font]
  • [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Extremely durable anodized Gun Metal Gray aluminum housing is distinguishable among
    other tools
    [/font]
  • [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Delivers up to 25 lumens[/font]
  • [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Up to 5 hrs continuous run time at optimum output
    Up to 45 hrs on low power
    [/font]
  • [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]O-ring sealed for maximum weather-resistance[/font]
  • [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Impact-resistant polycarbonate lens[/font]
  • [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"No Excuses" Life Time Warranty[/font]
  • [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]4.5" Long; 1.3" Head Dia.; 1.2" Body Dia. [/font]
  • [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]5.1 oz.[/font]

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have exactly this thing.

Pros: very durable, nice finish, nice grip

cons: no throw and annoying having to cycle between modes.

Nice light to add to your collection.

cary1952

Newly Enlightened
I had it for 1 day and returned it. About a 40% quadrant of the beam was mishaped. Probably an isolated defect. Other than that I didn't think the high power was high enough power and I thought the low power was way too low. I couldnt figure out why I would use this light, so I decided to return it rather than exchange it. For only a few dollars more you can get the Streamlight Propolymer 4AA Luxeon, with twice the lux and the same duration for batteries. However if you have a real need for low beam (I really don't) then this isnt a bad light for 18-20 bucks. As long as battery duration is 3-5 hours for me, I dont need 45 hours at 5 lux, since I use rechargables anyways. Coast LED-lenser makes 3AAA 35+ lux light (model V6) for about $40.00 that is brighter, claims a 40+ hour duration at this level (not verified by myself, but my friend has one and likes it) and a lifetime guarantee. If I decide to get a 3AAA light, I think I will go that way, after having tried this one.

Bror Jace

Enlightened
I was thinking of buying the 3AA version that etc talked about a couple weeks ago but was spooked by the lack of buzz. With little throw, I can see why. :(

Lit Up

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bror Jace said:
I was thinking of buying the 3AA version that etc talked about a couple weeks ago but was spooked by the lack of buzz. With little throw, I can see why. :(

I'd wait and see the Mag offerings as far as that size goes. As for the 1xAA sized task light, I love it.

RebelXTNC

Enlightened
As luck would have it I just bought one of these Streamlight® Task-Light® 3AAA .5W lights today on my way back from the coast. (The store had about every Streamlight there is except the one I really wanted, 4AA Propolymer 1W.)
I've just come online in search of reviews and comments since this was one of those "purchase it now and research it later buys".
In response to your question I've loaded mine up with the 3 included Duracells and tested it out.
This light has a combo of outer reflector and center optic and the beam is fairly concentrated. Intense hotspot with significant throw, with a clean and usable but fairly small outer bright area and a dimmer spill area. Total coverage is definitely wider than a pure optic light, but about 1/4 the size of a pure reflector light. The light seems very well made, durable and a good size.
The high beam is fairly bright, about 2/3 of most of my 1W lights. It's also brighter than my brightest and whitest 2AAA Nuwai .5W like the River Rock model from Target. Definitely brighter than all my 5mm lights, even on lowbeam it's brighter than the River Rock "peanut" light in the center spot but doesn't give near as much flood.
The lowbeam does have noticeable strobing if you're panning the light around, which you will be doing since it has a narrow beam. Not really a practical concern, but I'm pretty sensitive to it.
This is definitely a "task" light, suited to use for technical or indoor jobs. I think it's a bit too restricted in beam for a general outdoor use like camping, but it's not nearly as restricted as a pure optic light. It does give enough spill for a "walking the dog" light, but I'd probably keep it on highbeam for the extra spill it provides.
It's much smaller and easier to pocket than a Dorcy Metal Gear. I guess a better comparison would be with a Brinkmann 3AAA 1W, which I don't have but it costs the same. It will tail-stand despite the pre-installed lanyard ring.
Runtime, side two-stage clicky and smaller beam will be the characteristics that set this light apart from the others in my collection. I think it's safe to say it's the brightest of my long-runtime lights.