• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

27LT knock off? OMS L191

blahblahblah

Enlightened
Is it me or does this look quite similar to McGizmo's 27LT?

l191.jpg

Info from here: http://www.omsdive.com/lights.html

xochi

Flashlight Enthusiast
WOW! Yeah it does.

I suppose it was inevitable and Don should be a little flattered. You aren't really a custom flashlight maker until your designs have been ripped off and mass produced. :awman: . I wonder if this is a first for any of the custom makers on CPF.

Although its crummy that Don won't see any cash for what appears to be a direct ripoff of his work, congratulations to him for making a big enough impact that there are those interested in his stuff for "inspiration".

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Hi guys,
I do design and consulting beyond CPF but that business is not my business to discuss on CPF and I won't; beyond mentioning it as I have just done. :eek: I am pleased that some of my reflectors and other design elements have found their way into others lines. It is their choice as to any bother of recognition or not. In some cases, I would appreciate the plug and in others I have no problem if any connection remains hidden.:D

nakahoshi

Flashlight Enthusiast
wow, a 27LT could be for sale at a store near me! And to think, i thought they only were grown in hawaii!
-bobby

Macaw

Enlightened
From what I've read, it doesn't look like it has a two stage output.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
At this point, I don't know anything about the particulars of that light or if or when it will be available. I believe the image and listing referenced here has been on the site since some time last year. I personally have had no direct dealings with OMS or any experience with the company. I will be very curious to see what is under the hood but am pretty confident that it will not be 2 level or anything I would recognize, let alone understand. :popcorn:

Big Honu, I was siting on my butt assembling some Ti goodies until late and then checked in to CPF. This thread took me by surprise as I had all but forgoten about this light. :) The last I had heard through my connection with this project was that it was moving forward but some of the time lines for these companies make our home grown CPF programs look really fast!

Because of the obvious similarities in appearance and presumably beam of this light, I had figured I would need to comment at a reasonable and hopefully professional level but the 27LT program took so long for me to get going that I had anticipated making comment even prior to my offering! A good amont of time has past on this!! :shrug: I hope the OMS L191 is a success for OMS.

BigHonu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don,

Kinda figured you were busy and was just trying to poke a little fun at ya!.

If it is basically the same light as the 27LT, it should do just fine as a very capable backup-light. All it needs is a Ti bezel. J/K...

nakahoshi

Flashlight Enthusiast
I searched all morning and couldnt find an MSRP. I emailed the company and ill let you know how it turns out. The depth rating is pretty damn good.
-bobby

nakahoshi

Flashlight Enthusiast
Recieved a simple response from the company :
Light will be available in about 6 weeks.

judging by the tone of the letter, this light may be available in 6 weeks.

nakahoshi

Flashlight Enthusiast
I doubt a Ti clip will be on this light. If the light goes for 250 dollars, it might not be worth the price, but, if it falls in the 150 dollar range, perhaps a 5 watt 27LT is very possible, depending on how they designed the light engine. Modding could be fun. Will be cool to see.
-bobby

Barbarin

Flashlight Enthusiast
I saw the flashlight and the DEMA show in Las Vegas in October. No two stages, no McLeish quality, but... McLeish look-a-like. McLeish ideas filtered by "lets do it cheap" philosophy. Made in China.

Billson

Flashlight Enthusiast
If it's made in China, it would probably cost around $50 or even less judging from the same types of lights being offered/sold here.