• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

LED Choices for a PD

hivoltage

Enlightened
I have a PD and was told it had a TWOJ LED in it. I have no idea what that means, but was just curious if this was the brightest LED available for this light. I am more concerned with brightness than runtime. Thanks

Solstice

Flashlight Enthusiast
The first letter of the bin code refers to the brightness- the farther down the alphabet, the brighter rated the LED. A "T" bin is good, a "U" bin will be better, but frankly, you are not likely to see a really dramatic difference in brightness between the two.

xochi

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with Solstice. TWOJ leds are so good that it isn't worth messing with your light and the risks that entails. It's also possible that since you have burned in the TWOJ a bit , that it is as bright as a non burned in UWOJ. Leds tend to get brighter for the first several hours (I've read hundred or so) of there lives.

catfishpat22

Newly Enlightened
I'd be curious to know about the kinds of LEDs that are dominating the market these days

Thanks

Patrick

ChocolateLab33

Flashlight Enthusiast
Solstice said:
The first letter of the bin code refers to the brightness- the farther down the alphabet, the brighter rated the LED. A "T" bin is good, a "U" bin will be better, but frankly, you are not likely to see a really dramatic difference in brightness between the two.

I have a U bin PD and a T bin PD and there isn't a great difference in them. They are both very bright.

WAVE_PARTICLE

Flashlight Enthusiast
My UX0K Ti-PD is noticably brighter than my TY0J PD. But then again, I believe the UX0K is driven at 580mA while the TY0J is driven at around 500mA..... not sure if that makes a difference or not.

WP

savumaki

Enlightened
WAVE_PARTICLE said:
My UX0K Ti-PD is noticably brighter than my TY0J PD. But then again, I believe the UX0K is driven at 580mA while the TY0J is driven at around 500mA..... not sure if that makes a difference or not.
WP

You betcha; the more ma, the more light (within reason).
Both lights would have to be driven at the same amps to have a meaningfull comparison.