Gear to help you conquer!
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ti PD Condolences Thread

Default Re: Ti PD Condolences Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Fringe
    I know if I missed out on them, I sure as hell would pay a HUGE premium to get one. And instead of sulking, I would be PMing the people that got multiples and trying to cut a deal.
    That quote sounds sooo smooth out of context....or is it?
    I think that's the first time in months on this forum that I had a laugh-out-loud moment.

Damn you're smooth Fringe.

As for the purchase of multiples, whether it's right, wrong, or indifferent, I thought to myself after considering it "What the hell could happen to a Titanium light that would render it useless? And would I really need a back-up immediately afterward?" Perhaps I'd have other problems with more priority?

I see all of us as Archeologists diggin' for "gold." Well, last night, a trusting voice rolled in on a warm island breeze and told us where to look. Some took advantage of the situation and some stood there and speculated as to it's truth. It all depends on how quick you want it and what you're willing to sacrifice to get it. Let's face it, no one here really needs a titanium flashlight. We all just want one by our nature. We are flashaholics afterall. I'm enjoying the search and plan on continuing to have fun digging. Thanks again Don!

T

Personally i feel that i will never end up with one of these flashlights as long as they are sold in the manner that they are presently. I work on the weekends. There will never be a time that i will be off to even be around for the sale. I actually left work illegally early sat night to be able to get to a computer in time, and that was two hours after the initial sale opened. If these lights go on sale again they are going to be gobbled up in the same manner.

I would still love to see how many people altogether wanted one of these lights. How many people didn't make the cut.

This could just be my wishful thinking, but the logical thing to happen next run would be for those on the list of people who received the "sorry" letter to have a guaranteed spot, or at least first dibs. Even better, just continue with the orders of the still interested in the order they were received. Of course, bin choices would most likely have to be changed.

Don't worry photorob, I'm sure there will be a way.

That was exactly what I was thinking. I kinda consider myself already on the list.

Quote Originally Posted by Trashman
    Even better, just continue with the orders of the still interested in the order they were received. Of course, bin choices would most likely have to be changed.

This sounds like a very good idea, just continue on with the original email list so those who missed out get first shot at one next round.

Flashaholic*

+1 on the order continuation idea.
    ::I don't always carry a flashlight, but when I do, I prefer Tri-V. Stay illuminated my friends::

I myself agree that with a light with this demand here on CPF why where the orders not limited to "one" per person? People have been waiting for these lights for what years? months? I forgot all about the sale and missed it completely

Mac
    www.macscustoms.com
    *Note* Shipping Insurance must be requested.

I hate to say this but the "logical" thing to do is exactly nothing.
    Anything other than nothing will require administrative effort on Don't already full plate. Why on earth you would want to do that is beyond me.
    Maybe you should look into some sort of auto send system (OUTLOOK does this) and take your chances that when don says 19:00 he means 19:00 and have outlook send an e-mail then, your other options are to have somebody that you know with a working e-mail (maybe somebody who is going to order a light) Order one for you too at the time the sale starts..
    There seem to me to be many "logical" solutions which don't require extra effort on Don's part. Isn't he doing enough?

The system works fine. you are attempting to change something which works just fine and adds a minimum of extra work for Don. Lets try to keep it that way.
    Make a change in your approach to the system not change the system.

Over the years I have been disappointed in missing out on something out here because I missed the thread. In this case everybody knew exactly what was going to go down and approximately when it was going to go down. Heck you could have used your cellphone to place an order. How tough would it have been for you to ask somebody to call you or e-mail your phone when the gate opened, queuing you to send your order.
    Personally I am dead set against changing the "system".
    Believe me I am at rick of missing out because when I am working it can be totally impossible to have or use the Internet, but if I wanted to badly enough I would definitely make arrangements to at least be in the hunt.
    Yaesumofo

This could just be my wishful thinking, but the logical thing to happen next run would be for those on the list of people who received the "sorry" letter to have a guaranteed spot, or at least first dibs. Even better, just continue with the orders of the still interested in the order they were received. Of course, bin choices would most likely have to be changed.

Support your local flashlight builder.
    Buy American. Stop crying and start Buying.
    Flashlights are tools. Period.

Xochi said"Freedom rox being miserably obsessed with anythign sux." Several others also said things that are so true.In the end,middle and beginning these are just flashlights.And I 'm not talking sour grapes!Don makes nice flashlights, come on K2 Ti PD's or what ever the next gen brings!

C Mental Masterbation
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by yaesumofo
    I hate to say this but the "logical" thing to do is exactly nothing.
    Anything other than nothing will require administrative effort on Don't already full plate. Why on earth you would want to do that is beyond me.
    Maybe you should look into some sort of auto send system (OUTLOOK does this) and take your chances that when don says 19:00 he means 19:00 and have outlook send an e-mail then, your other options are to have somebody that you know with a working e-mail (maybe somebody who is going to order a light) Order one for you too at the time the sale starts..
    There seem to me to be many "logical" solutions which don't require extra effort on Don's part. Isn't he doing enough?

The system works fine. you are attempting to change something which works just fine and adds a minimum of extra work for Don. Lets try to keep it that way.
    Make a change in your approach to the system not change the system.

Over the years I have been disappointed in missing out on something out here because I missed the thread. In this case everybody knew exactly what was going to go down and approximately when it was going to go down. Heck you could have used your cellphone to place an order. How tough would it have been for you to ask somebody to call you or e-mail your phone when the gate opened, queuing you to send your order.
    Personally I am dead set against changing the "system".
    Believe me I am at rick of missing out because when I am working it can be totally impossible to have or use the Internet, but if I wanted to badly enough I would definitely make arrangements to at least be in the hunt.
    Yaesumofo

How does exactly nothing require less work than conitinuance with the current unfilled orders? Also, the logical thing doesn't always mean the thing that requires less work, maybe in the Matrix or a world of robots, but not here on Earth. I'm not in a position to ask anything of Don, and if he doesn't think a $425 price tag is worth an extra 10 minutes per person , he can raise raise the price $5 bucks or ten bucks as a sort of processing fee for unfilled orders, and I'm sure there won't be any complaints. He doesn't even have to do another run; it's his prerogative. Yaesomofo, in the end, it's Don's logic that matters, not yours.
    Last edited by Trashman; 07-11-2006 at 12:54 AM.

I can't help thinking that both this thread title and the reactions by some
    are a little OTT. (I realise regarding the title that some humour may be
    involved - at least I hope so, having been bereaved last year)

There is never going to be a way to please everyone. Don tried his best to
    find the fairest and most time effective method that he could and I think that
    we should respect that and commend him for being completely open and up-front.

I missed out on the 1st TI PD-T run and was disappointed but I knew that
    something else that was nice would come up at some point if I bided my time.

One has to be a bit philosophical and keep things in perspective.

I was lucky this time, next time hopefully someone else will be.
    Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine

Right now it is Don's policy not to use any kind of pre-order or pre-pay system nor does he compile or maintain any lists, and he was pretty clear that this won't change in the near future for obvious reasons: lack of time ... because any effort in the above-mentioned directions will need time and communications, which is something Don really does not have, unfortunately.

So ... I can understand the frustration and eagerness to get such a light, but right now no pre-sale system of any kind seems to be happening.

bernie

P.S.: I hope I said the correct thing and Don won't me ...
    There is a type of perfection that transcends the quest for lumens. Buying a $250 1-cell light for "lum factor" is like buying a $250 single malt Scotch for the alcohol content.
    - paulr

It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
    My shoes are too tight. But it doesn't matter, because I have forgotten how to dance.

Quote Originally Posted by yaesumofo
    Lets see 100 people have been discussing the Ti PD for several months. The McluxIII T sells out in minutes.
    Don flys the for sale sign at a time known to all, everybody knew what to put in the e-mail and you guys are surprised that this program sold out in minutes?
    What are you guys thinking?
    If you didn't think it was going to be hard to get then why in the world were you all refreshing every 30 (or less)seconds? This is a no brainier. I don't know what planet you guys are on but I knew absolutely that this light would be gone extremely fast. Yaesumofo
    Yaesumofo, you've been quite the arrogant finger-wagger here with quotes like the above, chastising those who didn't get in on this sale as if we were idiots, backed by your repeated assertion that the McLuxIII-T was an instant sell-out. Even if you were right, that would be terribly bad form, my friend, but your attitude is especially inexcusable when you don't have your facts straight: the last person (per Don) to get in on the McLuxIII-T was marcspar, and he posted his "email sent" confirmation ELEVEN AND ONE-HALF HOURS after the order thread opened. I invite you to check the time stamps yourself.

So... if 2 dozen lights at $380/each took nearly 12 hours to sell out, you'll have to forgive my ignorance for thinking that 7 dozen lights at $425/each wouldn't sell out in 12 minutes.

What's most ironic about all of this is that I know it was Don's sincere and specific intention to avoid the disappointment surrounding the "quick" sell-out of the McLux III-T, and to satisfy whatever initial demand existed for the Ti PD. Instead, there was a FAR greater stampede for the lights and many more unfilled orders--which, of course, just sets up an even more insane circus the next time Don posts titanium lights for sale. I have no doubt that the next Ti run of anything will be gone in five minutes or less.

Flashaholic*

Wow. They sold fast. I know Yaesumofo said we shouldn't be surprised but I thought some would hang around due to the price tag. I was way off. I am really glad they sold out before I got back from my trip because I would have bought one. Now I can wait for the reviews.

Thanks Don for keeping the price down. You could have made it a lot more.

I liked the way Don sold these lights. I am very glad that people were not limited to one.

I am amazed by the people who are giving these away as presents. Way to go!

Looking forward to more details about this light and the next run.

rob

I like to help people out and with my extra special light, this is what I plan on doing and it will happen to someone right here on this forum, someone who helped me out a while ago and asked for nothing in return. I have heard some horror stories about people and incidents during my short time here and it makes me sick that people do these things to people they cannot even SEE. I will do my best to make this forum a better place. Lord knows I have met some great people and they have shown some very impressive characteristics for not even meeting me face to face. I will be damed to do anything to let these people down and I am always open to build new relationships. This, I believe, is what life is about.

Fringe, great attitude and post................if I concentrate on others, somehow I forgot about all "my" issues...............read "I""issues". "I" wants lots of things, but being grateful for what I have and helping others really is the answer..............in my humble (and oh do I wish I always was) opinion.

jeffb

Jeff,
    I could not agree more. I am not perfect and Lord knows I struggle with what you just wrote, but it works perfectly when I do.

Now see, I just feel like a met another great person. Life is good.

I like to help people out and with my extra special light, this is what I plan on doing and it will happen to someone right here on this forum, someone who helped me out a while ago and asked for nothing in return. I have heard some horror stories about people and incidents during my short time here and it makes me sick that people do these things to people they cannot even SEE. I will do my best to make this forum a better place. Lord knows I have met some great people and they have shown some very impressive characteristics for not even meeting me face to face. I will be damed to do anything to let these people down and I am always open to build new relationships. This, I believe, is what life is about.
    Fringe, your attitude is to be commended. I too have "met" many kind and helpful folks here since becoming a CPF member and I especially felt honored to be able to be a part of the LifeNRA auction eventually helping another like minded spirit. If everyone had this kind of life view it'd be a much better place.

Good for you, Cliff
    Every normal man must be tempted at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats!
    H.L.Mencken (1880-1956)

Flashaholic*

IMHO, I don't see why Don is taking the brunt of the "sour-graping" of the disappointed people who missed out.

1. He announced the EXACT pre-sale date and time many days in advance.

2. He stated the format in which the email was to be written in.

3. He stated exactly how many lights were available.

If someone were truly serious in getting one of these lights, then that person should be responsible for taking the necessary steps to make sure he doesn't miss out.

I for one already prepared my email in advance like many others did and checked it many times so that when the time came, all I had to do was press send.

When the day came, I was logged on 15 minutes before the scheduled posting of the sale thread.

I did some research beforehand to find out the time difference aside from the time zone difference between CPF time, Don's local time, and my time because CPF time is a bit behind so I would know what time on CPF the thread would appear and I didn't have to keep refreshing every minute or so.

I had a window open for both CPF and gmail with the draft email already loaded and just waiting to be sent.

My computer actually crashed (cursed Windows98SE) about the time the sale was supposed to open. When I finally got it back up, the sale had been going for around 15 minutes and I was already 50+ on the list.

Some people have even complained that Troy aka AWTYD bought 3 lights but he prepared for this longer than most of us by selling off numerous lights from his collection just to fund this purchase so in that respect, I think he deserves it more than some of us who bought just one.

IN SHORT, the people who got in on the list were the ones who did their homework and they deserved what they got whether they bought 1 light or all 85 of them. In the same respect, those who didn't prepare also got what they deserved.

Give it a rest guys. There's no one to blame but yourselves if there is actually someone to blame at all.

In the case of the McLux III-T, the light wasn't sold out until half a day later because the sale thread was never announced in advance. It was opened like any other normal thread and relied on who happened to see it because at that time, Don never expected it to sell out anyway.

While Yaesumofo may seem a bit arrogant in the way he phrases his sentences, can anybody point out something he said which isn't true? For me, semantics donít matter a damn when the facts are spot on.

While I was able to get onto the list and therefore have no complaints, I want to point out one thing that I think Don overlooked or did he? He didn't mention where to send the email order so that may have contributed to some late emails sent through the CPF mail system. Then again, this is something that could've been easily solved by doing a little research. Simply browsing Don's sales threads would've eliminated this very trivial matter.
    Last edited by Billson; 07-11-2006 at 02:59 AM. Reason: spelling errors
    Bill

Flashaholic*

Well said Billson. I completely agree, it is your own fault if you missed out. Not Don's, not the people who bought multiple lights.

-Dan

+1 on Billson. I really hope Don is NOT reading all this, it is very distracting.

Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by Billson
    [/b]Give it a rest guys. There's no one to blame but yourselves.
    Please let us give it a rest. Thanks for your "condolences" on this "Ti PD condolences" thread, but really, they're not necessary.

Edit: If we were all as well prepared as you, Billson, there would still be just as many disappointments! Even more, you may have ended up being one of the disappointed! I don't see any reason for your guys to take a stance of condemnation upon others. Just be thankful and happy that all is well with you and that we weren't as well prepared. Disappointment by those who missed out should be expected, and even more so, should be allowed. Please allow it and it will go away all by itself.
    Last edited by Trashman; 07-11-2006 at 01:50 AM.

Flashaholic

different sales thread, I think , cy...
    McLuxIII T...

Rules of the games was establish well before it started. As with all games, someone has to lose. BTW, I didn't prepare any email of any sort. I actually had to wait patiently for the sales thread to load up and then compose my email. I not only send one email via CPF but also a second email to Don's pacbell email which I had to look for also in the regular McluxIII sales thread.
    I would have been disapointed if I missed it but I would have been relieve of the 400dollars less on my creditcard bill.

Flashaholic*

Please let us give it a rest. Thanks for your "condolences" on this "Ti PD condolences" thread, but really, they're not necessary.

Edit: If we were all as well prepared as you, Billson, there would still be just as many disappointments! Even more, you may have ended up being one of the disappointed! I don't see any reason for your guys to take a stance of condemnation upon others. Just be thankful and happy that all is well with you and that we weren't as well prepared. Disappointment by those who missed out should be expected, and even more so, should be allowed. Please allow it and it will go away all by itself.
    You're correct in that I may have been one of the disappointed despite my being prepared. The difference is I wouldn't be bitching about it here because that's life and there are just some things you can't control but what I could control, I DID. If I still missed out, then so be it. I almost missed out when my PC crashed but I surely wouldn't be complaining that Don wouldn't accept prepays, for not being able to get off work, for those buying multiple units, for forgetting to wake up, etc., etc. all of which are just pathetic excuses and everybody knows it.

It's ok to vent your frustrations but trying to pass on the blame to someone else is just plain wrong. THAT'S MY POINT. I'm not trying to pick a fight with anybody, condemning, or laughing at anybody that didn't get one.
    Bill

I guess time is relative. especially here on cpf. 12 hours is a close to instant as it needs to be for those who did not get the light. I guess you could say that there is acceleration involved here when it comes down to Don's Ti flashlights.

I found it sort of funny that there was so much furrer about this light.
    I haven't been following the thread. The sad fact is I sent Don a random E-mail message that just so happened to be about 4 hours before the for sale sign went up. I followed directions and sent a message around 19:00 and made it in. My timing was perfect. I must admit I was lucky too because I haven't been keeping up with things around here.
    I must say that your name calling is a bit strong for a condolence thread I most certainly not a finger wager. I can be an arrogant Mofo though. Too bad if you don't like it block me don't read my postings. You will find your self in good company.

For some people 12 hours is an eternity. for some it is instant. From my point of view in terms of flashlight sales 24 $380.00 lights in 11.5 hours is pretty instant. Read the messages who missed the thread altogether. They thought they went pretty damn fast.
    One thing I have learned is this past performance is a great indicator of future performance. This was most certainly true in the case of the McLuxIII Ti Pd.
    The amount of interest, the sheer number of posts, the large response to polls. All indicators that this would be a very quick sale. I only learned of all of this After i sent my order off. I was at that point very worried that I would have missed the boat.
    I am arrogant. I am a total supporter of Don and his work. I am a complete believer of his distribution method. It works and it helps if you are paying attention. To be sure there are those who have missed this one who will never post about how they feel. I am sure they feel lousy. I know because I have passed up on and missed some incredible prices over the years here. Most of the time It was me not paying attention and just plain missing out. I ordered this light because my Black U-Bin McLuxIII PD is my favorite light it gets used every day it after a year is just beginning to show signs of use. It is developing character. I have a McLuxIII T which is my "dress" light. It is highly functional ART. Don's work is amazing he is very humble to a fault. I don't think Don owes us anything. He could certainly make a run of these and make much more money on them than selling them off to us on the CPF.
    Time is relative. Don is one of the few (maybe the only one) of the true master level flashlight makers who puts his ass on the line every time. People are fickle. It is possible that don could duplicate this sale next time around. It is equally possible that the floor falls out from under the Titanium market and people discover tungsten as the next "hot" material for flashlights and the sale could fall flat. Not likely but possible.
    Personally I don't find it to be bad form to know without a shadow of a doubt and be right about the fact that a light will sell as fast as orders could be taken. which is what has happened here.
    I have no doubt that Don will look at this successful sale an maintain a cautious approach.
    It is my experience that don does little by accident. This is reflected in his work and his attitude towards the sale of his tools.

charlson, maybe you were not fortunate and missed the Ti Pd and the McLuxIII T. For that I am sorry weather it was by choice or by bad luck or timing. In any event if true it is too bad. If you have a "t" and were able to make an order for a Ti PD then join me in rejoicing. We have something in common. something wonderful worthy of celebration. As I mentioned earlier My U-Bin Mccxxiii T Is my primary number one EDC. A Ti Version of that light will last well beyond my time on the planet. My kid who loves flashlights will be able to enjoy this light after I am gone. Nothing brings me more joy that my kid will have the opportunity to share a passion for a material object.
    This is a fun hobby. If you can't take a bit of ribbing for not being together enough to pace a precise order at a specific time than don't look to me for sympathy. You snooze you loose. Like I said If I were in a position where obsession had me in it's grip ( it did not in the case of this light by the way but the 27mm reflector version is something I must have and am obsessed over) I would have e-maild Don and explained my situation. Don is not an unreasonable person. I also would have used my cell phone to place an order if necessary while I was on a date. One's obsession drives a person to different levels of what they will do to fulfill their need for the object of desire. In this case a small Titanium flashlight. Some people would do a whole lot more for a whole lot less.
    I was surprised at the ease at which I was able to order a light. I was surprised that people were surprised at the seep at which these lights sold. I didn;t think they would all go in 30 minutes. I figured a couple of hours at least. I was wrong.
    Charlson I am sorry you think I am an arrogant MOFO I put the MOFO part in my name for a reason. It is true. Oh well .
    Sorry i pushed a button. Maybe you should share your feelings about the light.
    I still have unanswered questions about it. More will be revealed...That I am Sure of.
    Hey it is only a hobby for many of us. For some it is a business. $36125.00 in less than an hour of sales is an amazing number any way you look at it. I hope A whole bunch of that dough goes straight into Don's pocket. Living in paradise can't be cheap. Have fun Don and please enjoy the fruits of your LABOR.
    Yaesumofo

Quote Originally Posted by Charles n
    Yaesumofo, you've been quite the arrogant finger-wagger here with quotes like the above, chastising those who didn't get in on this sale as if we were idiots, backed by your repeated assertion that the McLuxIII-T was an instant sell-out. Even if you were right, that would be terribly bad form, my friend, but your attitude is especially inexcusable when you don't have your facts straight: the last person (per Don) to get in on the McLuxIII-T was Marc spar, and he posted his "email sent" confirmation ELEVEN AND ONE-HALF HOURS after the order thread opened. I invite you to check the time stamps yourself.

So... if 2 dozen lights at $380/each took nearly 12 hours to sell out, you'll have to forgive my ignorance for thinking that 7 dozen lights at $425/each wouldn't sell out in 12 minutes.

What's most ironic about all of this is that I know it was Don's sincere and specific intention to avoid the disappointment surrounding the "quick" sell-out of the McLux III-T, and to satisfy whatever initial demand existed for the Ti PD. Instead, there was a FAR greater stampede for the lights and many more unfilled orders--which, of course, just sets up an even more insane circus the next time Don posts titanium lights for sale. I have no doubt that the next Ti run of anything will be gone in five minutes or less.
    Support your local flashlight builder.
    Buy American. Stop crying and start Buying.
    Flashlights are tools. Period.

Oh my these Ti PD reminds me of LOTR
    Maybe these were built with hatred within the depth of hell.
    Made to destroy the goodness in CPF and open up the dark side. The bearer becomes evil and selfish while those that failed to be on the list would kill and lust for it.

Open up your eyes and see what have happened!

.....my precious.......
    Last edited by GhostReaction; 07-11-2006 at 04:38 AM.
    Lights were once incandescent. And halogen bulb were great

Don't worry guys.... Don knows that there is still huge demand for this light. He will do another run, I'm sure of it.

If there's anyone to blame, it is the guy who invented the supply/demand curves....the little ba$tard...

It is obvious that Don set the price way too low, given the demand. But, in reality, I don't think any of us knew of how overwhelming the demand actually was. It first hit me about a month before the sale when activity at the B/S/T was abnormally high, but at the same time, typically-high-demand lights such as a chrome PD and the like were not selling. This was a major hint to what was to come. I knew that I had to be well prepared in order for me to get in on this light, because I knew that more than 100 people were in competition (more than what the pre-order surveys have indicated).

At any rate, Don has mentioned of a second run (not determined yet, as far as I know). Given the residual demand, it would be a low-risk, financially viable run.....so its a no-brainer for Don. If I were him, I'd up the price, but Don is a much nicer guy than I am...... and I would suspect that he would keep the price the same. That means that for the second run, you guys need to be prepared, because if he kept the price the same, it will be another sell-out, believe me.

Oh well, just so that you guys know how desparate I was for one of these lights, if the price was set at $800, I still would have bought them...no questions asked.

Here's to another run of the Ti-PD!

WP

Yup, it's all our own fault for not monitioring the relevant threads 24/7, taking leave from work/calculating time differences/not sleeping/drafting email replies in advance, etc when the time came to hit the 'Send' button. All Don needs to do is build more of these.
    "For those who know, no explanation is needed. And for those whom do not, none is possible." They can take your money away, but they can't take your education. If a man's not worth his word then what's he worth?

Aw shucks Fringe, why d'ya have to go and post something so admirable. Be careful, it may be contagious. Wouldn't that be great?!

I feel guilty now about my earlier comments to you. You gotta admit though that what you said, in/out of context, was laced with "hidden agenda."

Kudos to you sir for turning it around (in my mind at least, apparently no one else caught it).

So am I the one? I like... helped you out by.....like.... uh reading your post....or something.

Seriously Fringe, fine gesture indeed!
    T

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast