How to pop the pill on an Attitude

Hondo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got a good deal on an old model PT Attitude, and this is screaming for 3 Nichia CS's which I have. This looks simple, just push the boards out by the LED's, but I have pushed to the point that I am worried about buckling the LED legs, and my thumb is real SORE! Anyone who has had one apart got the trick, or do I just need to keep it up?

Also want to stick some foam in with that catalyst pellet so it quits rattling, and I am thinking of spraying some flat black paint on the back of the pill to cut down on the brightness of the "back glow" through the transluscent case, real anoying when holding it in my mouth!

Thanks in advance.

Hondo

vortechs

Enlightened
Hondo said:
Got a good deal on an old model PT Attitude, and this is screaming for 3 Nichia CS's which I have. This looks simple, just push the boards out by the LED's, but I have pushed to the point that I am worried about buckling the LED legs, and my thumb is real SORE! Anyone who has had one apart got the trick, or do I just need to keep it up?

Also want to stick some foam in with that catalyst pellet so it quits rattling, and I am thinking of spraying some flat black paint on the back of the pill to cut down on the brightness of the "back glow" through the transluscent case, real anoying when holding it in my mouth!

Thanks in advance.

Hondo

Hi Hondo,

LED_Zeppelin posted instructions on modding the Princeton Tec Blast. The PT Attitude seems to have a similar design so perhaps this will help: http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=110657

AuroraLite

Enlightened
Hondo,

I had modded both the new and older Attitude, and they basically are the same design. IIRC, there is a little metal piece that served as a connecting piece on board. Carefully use a knife to life it off the two posts that it was attached to, and beware not to bend it in anyway(or lose it) since the light cannot properly function without it.

Afterwards, I use the knife the lift off the board from the fours posts that it was attached to, and just remember don't break those 'posts' while you are doing it. Finally it is simple soldering the leds off and on.

One trick/tip is that you could use the transparent plastic piece as a led/board holder(and to keep the led you plan to solder in line) while you are soldering the leds on. Also, you could put on some GID powder behind the leds or GID oring behind the bezel to give it a cooler look. Hope this helps! :)

Hondo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks, guys! I don't have the light with me, but those heat stakes must be real neatly done, I totally did not recognize them as such. That's why I figured it was time to set it down and ask someone who has "been there, done that". Now after reading LED_Zeppelin's mod, I want to find a Blast, too.

Edit: Oh yeah, should have noticed the clear plastic nubs not fitting in with the PC board. Just gently warmed each one with a lighter and pried up and got it off without any lost plastic. Letting the black paint I layered on the back of the reflector set before reassembling, but testing the pill with the 3 Nichia CS's I can tell this is one of those "night and day" difference mods. On the way home, stopped at REI, and they had the Blast, and since I had about six bucks "dividend" to spend there, I picked one up for LED_Zeppelin's mod next, got plenty of SMJLED's for this sort of thing. Thanks again for the leg up, this is what is so great about CPF - well, this and having an open ended outlet for all of my discretionary income! (just got in line for Ti FF3)
broke.gif

Last edited: