could someone 'point' me towards a laser pointer?

William_H

Newly Enlightened
A few nights ago my girlfriend and I were at a play and afterwards there were some people from the local astronomy club using their telescopes outside to do some star gazing. Well, long story short, one woman whips out this laser pointer thing to show me a constelation that she was talking about. WOW! It wasn't just a dot like the lasers I've seen mounted on guns, it was an actual laser beam pointing right up at the constelation. It was one of the craziest things I've ever seen.

Anyway, what are these, and where can I get one?? I wish I could be more specific, but the one she had was about the size of a large fountain pen and I think she said it cost her less than $100.

William_H

Newly Enlightened
So the "50mW" number is describing the output? Sort of like lumens describe a flashlight's output?

And the wavelength measurement is describing what exactly?

allthatwhichis

Enlightened
William_H said:
So the "50mW" number is describing the output? Sort of like lumens describe a flashlight's output?

And the wavelength measurement is describing what exactly?

Yes, mW = milliwatts. Wavelength = the frequency of the light wave which also refers to the color of light emitted. 635-650 = Red, 574 = yellow, 532 = green, 473 = blue, and 404 is getting into the uv spectrum... :grin2:

William_H

Newly Enlightened
I see.

The lady who had the laser pointer that was using it to point to constelations, what range of nW does that sound like? (I know that's kind of vague)

Does one color seem to show up better than another when used for star gazing?

allthatwhichis

Enlightened
A 5mw will work well for just pointing out stars. Anything more and you really shouldn't be using it outside without permits and stuff... :ohgeez: Green will show up better that other colors because green is the color our eyes see best. I think it has something to do with it being in the middle of the visible light spectrum (for humans). :huh2: :grin2:

flashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sigman said:
Received an email from the "Lucky Duck" folks today - they've got a great looking little green keychain laser now...worth checking out.

I'm anxious to hear from someone who has one!

I think their 'HALFOFF' discount coupon is still valid for anyone wanting to get that one. ;)

I have a cheap 5mW APC laser that's sold pending funds here.

Last edited:

wells05

Newly Enlightened
William_H said:
Does that sound similar to what I described?

Yes it would work. I have one that is a little less than 40 mW that I paid like $106 shipped. It is nice and bright - I know Arnold has different powers at different prices. You might be able to get away with less mW's depending where you live. Humidity and city lights will affect appearance. Best bet is to give him a call directly at Atlas Nova.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
flashlight said:
I think their 'HALFOFF' discount coupon is still valid for anyone wanting to get that one.
Are you sure? I thought that was just for the APC during the holidays?

William_H

Newly Enlightened
I guess I must be missing something.

I keep seeing 5mW mentioned right along with 40 or 50mW like they're pretty comparable. Isn't that like saying "you would be fine with a 60 lumen light, I have a 500 lumen that works for me"?

Madz

Enlightened
no, a 5mW is a laser pointer you see kids playing with at meijer. a 40-50mW is capable of popping balloons and is very bright and should be used while wearing goggles. granted its still not the strongest laser.

William_H

Newly Enlightened
Ok, so if I want something at the upper end of the power you would want for pointing out stars, but nothing that I would need goggles for...what power range should I look for?

Madz

Enlightened
probably 15mW - 25mW would be good for just pointing out stars. granted 5mW is supposed to still be bright enough but 15 would be brighter.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I'll second the motion that 15mW to 25mW is more than sufficient for astronomical purposes. Certainly no more than 25mW; and be absolutely certain you don't accidentally irradiate anybody nearby with it.

Just remember, PLEASE do not direct (aim) any laser of 5mW or over toward anybody's face or at the face of any animal, and for Pete sakes, do not aim *ANY* laser of *ANY* power output at aircraft, automobiles, trains, or police officers. If you shine any laser toward a police officer, even something like my 12µW (0.012mW) green helium-neon, the officer may think you're targeting him and he will very likely pull his gun out and hose you down with it as a defensive reaction.

William_H

Newly Enlightened
I ended up calling Arnold at Atlas Nova and he was very helpful. I ended up getting the $99 CPF special, I think it's around 25-30mW. Can't wait to get it!

:grin2: