my home cordless phone 2.4Ghz act weird.

picard

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a uniden 2.4GHZ cordless phone that cause my phone signal to stall. Does anyone else have problem with this type of 2.4ghz cordless phone? Should I replace phone with more powerful 5.8Ghz model?

My phone sometimes doesn't have phone tone signal or it produces beep,beep sound countinously.

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds like someone nearby may have bought a wireless router that is causing interference.

elgarak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just speculating: Is there a wireless computer network active (from you or your neighbours)? The home WiFi routers and base stations use the same 2.4 GHz band as the phone and might interfere.

drizzle

Enlightened
2.4 also is interfered with by microwave ovens. When I moved "up" from 900MHz to 2.4GHz years ago I started getting interference from my microwave. I now have 5.8 and no problems.

AJ_Dual

Enlightened
Manzerick said:
5.8 is the better choice IMHO :)

Unless of course you've got wi-fi "Wireless-G" and a 5.8Ghz phone. Then you're right back where you started. Although there's more bands in the higer freqs the router and phone can choose from, so perhaps 5.8 stuff plays better together than the 2.4...

markdi

Flashlight Enthusiast
my old sanyo 900mhz digital spread spectrum phone

out performs my sony 2.4 and my siemns 5.8ghz digital spread spectrum phones.

my sanyo has incredible range - at least 3 city blocks.

I can walk to my mom's house and use it inside her house.

so try a 900 mhz digital spread spectrum phone.

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
yup, 2.4 phones suck. And I haven't been able to find any 900mhz phones that are spread spectrum that are still being made, at least not for under mega bucks. seems that the marketing departments have won and the good tech now is going into the 5.8ghz phones. I'm pretty happy with my uniden one as far as features and quality, but the range is not nearly as good as the 900mhz ones where.

picard

Flashlight Enthusiast
my home internet router does run on 2.4 Ghz similar to the phone. Perhaps I just upgrade the phone to 5.8Ghz.

markdi

Flashlight Enthusiast
do routers, microwaves - etc affect 2.4/5.8 ghz digital spread spectrum phones ?

other than the range difference all of my dss cordless phones are noise/interference free.

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
any "digital" phone will be noise interference free. You'll get dropouts as packets get lost, but as long as data is getting through it will be as clear as the phone can manage. There are really cheap 900mhz phones, and probably 2.4 ones also that are just analog transmissions and suffer from horrible signal quality issues. Dont even bother with those, must be digital.

A Microwave will knock out just about any 802.11 router or 2.4 phone. The very most expensive phones will still be able to work as they frequency hop and can get around a certain amount of garbage, but in general the microwave brings them all to their knees. It wont mess up the 5.8 gig models though.