Phoenix Electroforms
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: cheapo's knife threads (merged)

Cool cheapo's knife threads (merged)

i was looking at the kershaw baby boa, or maybe a benchmade benchmite. any experience with these or other suggestions. i want something under $55 and under 5in total length.
    Last edited by cheapo; 05-06-2007 at 05:32 PM. Reason: cuz

Flashaholic*

Default Re: spyderco byrd?

high value for the money. decent build but its not spyderco. very good user blades. steel similar to aus 8 and at under 20 you cant go wrong

I highly recommend you go over to the Spyderco factory forum and do a search. You'll get a lot of info there, including some that is model specific. You'll also find quite a few people who are impressed with Spyderco's lower line.

The byrd line is an excellent deal giving very good quality for a reasonable price. While it's true that they aren't Spyderco's, that doesn't mean that the Spyderco quality isn't there. They may lack in the fit & finish department, but the construction is first rate, and they stack up well to other knives that cost more.
    First they came for the Trade Unionists, and I did not stand up, because I was not a Trade Unionist.
    Attributed to Pastor Martin Niemöller
    Hawkbills- Sink in the tip, and let it rip!!!- Axlis

Excellent knives and one of the best bargains for the money. I gave one to a friend last weekend. She chose it over a few other knives I was offering, including the Benchmade Pika.
    www.EDCdepot.com Please use the coupon code CPF to receive your 5% discount on all purchases. If we carry it, so should you. FREE Spy Capsule with every order.

These are fairly decent knives and a good value for the money but they are what they are, mass produced chinese knives.

I recently learned that spyderco has also begun using a die cast process that has me wondering about the quality trends of their knives. The process was described to me at Blade and it seemed that an effort was being made to make it sound hi-tech but it sounded like the same die cast metal process used to make Hot Wheels and such. I really like the spydercos that I have (Persian , Ti Salsa, Native) but I'm wondering if the Byrd knives aren't a type of manufacturing audition to try out cheaper processes that trickle up into the higher priced line.

It appears that in the past 2 years Spyderco is trying to expand it's lineup so it can offer products at all price levels. The high-end priced stuff is still very much top quality. And the medium priced knives are still awesome and you get a lot of knife for your money.

I was a longtime CRKT fan, but they really let their customers down when they started putting softer/cheaper steel in their biggest sellers. Now you have to buy the expensive CRKTs to even get good steel anymore.

As to the Byrd series vs. a Spyderco... The Byrds seem ok, but once you have handled good knives, "ok" knives just aren't good enough anymore. Since Spyderco is offering Delicas and Natives at Walmart now for $40 or less, it's easy for most people to afford Spydercos now.

Flashaholic*

I handled a couple of Byrd knives and they feel fine. Action is good (not as smooth as Spyderco's nicer knives, but still good), no wobble or anything in the blade, they feel well made. If you must stay under $20, I think it's a great value, along with some Bucks like the Mantis, Pilot, and a few others (also MIC). The main thing I didn't like about the Byrd line are the handles are quick thick and I wanted something smaller to carry in my pocket.

However, considering the Delica and Native are only about $40 now (they're not available at my local WalMarts, but you may be able to find them...I ordered mine online), I think those are a better value than the Byrd line, even considering their higher price. The smoother action, slimmer profile, and far batter steel is worth the additional cost IMO.
    Streamlight: TL-3 Xenon, Vital Stream Scorpion-FB1, Scorpion LED SSC P4, KeyMate Silver (Nichia CS)
    Nuwai: 2x QIII TWOH (Green and Titanium), TM-313X Ti (QV1J DD 14500)
    Surefire: M2+C2-HA+Detonator, E2D, VG FB1+EXe, VG FB3+E2C+C2
    Vital Gear F2, Huntlight FT01, Jetbeam Jet1 AA and 123A, Fenix E1 (Silver), Luxogen LR5A-3W & LR12 CR2 (SCC P4), Spiderfire LR8, NexTorch Z1, Gerber Infinity Ultra (2x Green), Dae's UV 12LED
    Emergency Kit & Knives Pics - Lights & Knives Pics - Small Knife/Lights

Flashaholic*

They're pretty decent for $20 and actually lock up ok, unlike other cheapies and the steel holds an edge worth a damn.

Last edited by cheapo; 07-25-2006 at 08:27 AM.

Cool Re: crkt choices

has to be under $40... but i was looking at this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/CRKT-Point-Guard...QQcmdZViewItem

how is it?

-David

Default Re: crkt choices

Personally I don't like partially serrated blades - but we all have our different likes & dislikes - I respect that.

The current bid as of this post is $5.50 - a STEAL OF A DEAL on that knife. CRKT are affordable well built knives.

BTW - PM sent...
    Last edited by Sigman; 07-22-2006 at 12:23 PM.
    -"Must control self"-

why dont you like partially serrated blades?

i like it because it makes it easier to cut through things like fishing lines and twigs.

-David

Flashaholic*

Thinking Re: crkt choices

cheapo that is a steal.. Are you bidding?
    I won't bid against you if I know.
    Topper

Oh don't get me totally wrong, they have their place in the "kit" for sure! I keep a few around - but they're such a pain to sharpen. Then again, I've never been very good at sharpening.

I do have a Spyderco Sharpmaker - need to practice with it. I probably have every "idiot's knife sharpener" that exists!
    -"Must control self"-

geez, that is a good point.... it would suck to sharpen it.

I am still unsure... it is between the crkt point guard and the spyderco byrd.... whichever has the better blade (stays sharp longer).

-David

Quote Originally Posted by cheapo
    geez, that is a good point.... it would suck to sharpen it.

I am still unsure... it is between the crkt point guard and the spyderco byrd.... whichever has the better blade (stays sharp longer).

-David
    That would be the byrd. The CRKT, while being well built, has AUS-6 steel. I owned a CRKT with AUS6 and had to sharpen it two to three times a day. The byrd has a steel that is similar to AUS8 in it's properties, but it's pretty hard, and holds an edge better than most AUS8 blades. Down side is that being so hard makes it harder to sharpen, however it also depends on the specific knife you buy.

Also, at that price you can probably buy two (one serrated and one plain). Another option is to sharpen the plain edge with a more aggressive edge that will allow it to function like a serrated edge.

I use a combo edge byrd Crossbill everyday, and I've noticed that I don't use the serrated portion as much as the plain portion. This means that I sharped the plain portion more than the serrated portion. I'd say to start with a plain edge because you can vary the sharpening to an aggressive edge. If you decide you need the CE you can always get it later. You can get two byrd Robins for $40 shipped. Get a Crow (even better the Raven) and a robin and its $45 shipped. Then you'll have two different knives. One that will be a worrkhorse, and another one that you won't be as afraid of scaring the sheeple with. Just take the clip off the Robin and throw it in your pocket.
    First they came for the Trade Unionists, and I did not stand up, because I was not a Trade Unionist.

ok... now, reading that, i would like to know.... can you point out to me similar knives but made with harder metals? I am really looking into somthing that i would rarely have to sharpen.

this knife is harder isnt it> :

http://crkt.com/elock.html

-David
    Last edited by cheapo; 07-22-2006 at 01:58 PM.

Tilburg, the Netherlands (perfectly reachable by USPS international services)

I prefer the combo edges too... It's not really that hard to sharpen them, just needs a little practice (old steak knives are perfect for this) the serrated part on my emerson needs a lot less sharpening too... I only do the serrated part once for every 5 times I sharpen the smooth part.
    ... Never underestimate the power of human stupidity ...

ok... now, reading that, i would like to know.... can you point out to me similar knives but made with harder metals? I am really looking into somthing that i would rarely have to sharpen.

this knife is harder isnt it> :

http://crkt.com/elock.html

-David
    I would guess that it isn't as good as the byrd at edge retention, but better than the point guard (it does list as being harder than the point guard, but not as hard as the byrd). Keep in mind that this is only a guess. I base this guess on my experience with my CRKT M-18-02R (which is also AUS8 at the same hardness as the e-lock). Based on that experience, the byrd holds an edge better but is slightly harder to sharpen.

Truth is, there is more than just hardness that goes into how well a knife holds it's edge. I can only speek from the experience that I have. I've had three different CRKT's in AUS6 that didn't hold an edge very well by my standards. I have one CRKT in AUS8 that I found to be satisfactory in that area. The E-lock may be better, or it may be worse. If it's worse, then it isn't because of the steel IMHO.

I will say that if you can get a Spyderco Delica 4 for close to the same price then that is your best bet. I've used knives from two different manufactures with VG-10 blades, and have formed the opinion that that is my best option. It holds an edge better that the others mentioned, but isn't very hard to sharpen for some reason (probably the make up of the steel).

For some people, the AUS6 isn't a bad deal. They may not use the knife much and prefer the softer steel for sharpening. People usually look for a "harder steel" knife because they don't want sharpen as often. This can sometimes be due to a lack of sharpening skills on thier part. Problem is that the knife will eventually get dull, and need sharpening. Then, it's harder to sharpen. If you will be using the knife frequently enough, you'll probably have to invest in a sharpening system (that's what I did), or improve your sharpening skills. for someone who won't be using the knife that much, the AUS6 wouldn't be a bad choice. There are always tradeoffs. I personally believe that the AUS8 would be better, and the VG-10 even better than the AUS8.

At the price of the Point Guard, it may well be a good knife to improve your sharpening skills on. Cheap enough that you won't mind messing up, the steel is soft so that if you do mess up it isn't so hard to repair. IMHO, at that price it would be worth buying just to practice sharpening serrations.

Flashaholic*

CRKT downgraded to 420J2 and AUS4. Pretty bad..
    Grab yourself a Spyderco Delica or Native for ~$40

i was looking at a spyderco endura at a local store for $45, but it seemed sorta plain, i like this a lot though... how well would it hold its edge vs spydero?

http://crkt.com/snapfire.html

-David
    Last edited by cheapo; 07-22-2006 at 06:35 PM.

i was looking at a spyderco endura at a local store for $45, but it seemed sorta plain, i like this a lot though... how well would it hold its edge vs spydero?

http://crkt.com/snapfire.html

-David
    Like I said, there are many factors that determine how well a blade holds an edge, and steel type is only one of them. I'd wager that the Endura with VG-10 would hold an edge better than the Snapfire with little difference in ease of sharpening. I also think that the VG-10 will have a little more bite to it, but again this is just my personal opinion going by blade steel alone. And, as I have said, there is more to it than just blade steel.

I can tell you that the Endura 3 holds an edge better than my M-18, and isn't that much harder (if at all) to sharpen.

Personally, I don't much care for knives that are more complex. I know that the Snapfire recieved some sort of award, but I subscribe to the KISS method. I have handled one of the Snapfires at a gunshow once and will say that I believe the Endura to be a far better knife. The Endura is IMHO, hard to beat in ergonomics. The Endura is a time-tested workhorse, and proven performer.

Also, I think CRKT does a decent job with AUS8 (the steel of the Snapfire), but think the Endura is better. It really depends on what you want in a knife. If you want something with "gadget factor" or "wow factor", then a Snapfire, or assisted opener might be good. I would think that the Snapfire you linked(not the "plain jane" version) would have enough of an "artsy" effect to not be so intimidating around sheeple as the Endura. However, I'm fairly confident that the Endura would out-work the Snapfire. Two different knives, each fulfilling two different needs.

BTW: $45 is a good price on a NIB Endura 3/or 4.

ok... there are so many choices, but i looked at spyderco, and wow.... this knife looks really cool:

http://spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=21

-David

ok... there are so many choices, but i looked at spyderco, and wow.... this knife looks really cool:

http://spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=21

-David
    That is the Native II. It has been discontinued so if you find one count yourself lucky. Many people think it is a great knife. You can get the FRN version with the S30V blade at Wal-Mart for $40 (a steel since just last year before the Wal-Mart deal they went for $70). I suggest getting to a Wal-Mart to handle one if you can. People seem to have a love/hate relationship with the Native in it's various forms.

A good thing to do is sit down and figure out what it is you like about certain knives. That might give you some direction on what to look for. Many will say that for $40, the Walmart Native is the best deal around. That's hard to dispute.

its between the native with vg10 and aus10... your thoughts?

-David
    Last edited by cheapo; 07-22-2006 at 09:26 PM.

Flashaholic*

its between the native with vg10 and aus10... your thoughts?

-David
    Honestly unless you use your knife a LOT, you proabably wont notice a difference. I EDCed 440C and went to S30V, and it was a big difference, I then EDCed VG10, and couldnt tell the diffence.

I Went back to S30V simpily because I the fact that I can buy another spydie native at most walmarts in the case that something happens to my current one.

Between VG10 and Aus10, I would take VG10 because I feel it holds a 'sharper' edge. YMMV.
    Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius, and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction. - Albert Einstein

Default Re: looking for knife

The Native style handle doesn’t fit my hand very well, and that’s probably one of the reasons it is known to be a “grip specific” knife. That’s why some people have a love/hate relationship with it. I strongly recommend holding one at a Wal-Mart if you can, even if it’s the S30V version. This will give you an idea of how it fits your hand. Lots of people own the Native (especially since Wal-Mart picked it up), and most of them are extremely happy with it. Something common among many Spydercos is that first appearances can be deceiving, and that they must be used before one can fully appreciate them. Many people have testified that they were initially put off by the appearance of a specific knife because they didn’t think it looked like it would work well for them, only to later be proven wrong once the gave the knife a try.

I do own the Native III and it's a great Knife. VG-10 is my current favorite steel (my experience is limited). It holds an edge well and sharpens easily. Even though it doesn’t fit my hand well, I still often reach for the Native III when I do extended cutting chores because it’s shape fills my hand more, and prevents hand fatigue. The handle of the Native III is 3D and much more ergonomic. This also means that it is a little bulkier when in the pocket.

Like I said, the Native II is disco'd, so if you want to try it, now might be a good time since they won't be making any more. They are becoming harder and harder to find. While VG-10 may be my favorite steel (although I do have limited experience), AUS10 is supposed to be very good (if not comparable) also, from what I understand. You should do a search for AUS10 over at Spyderco's home forum to find out more about it.

The handle of the Native II is stainless steel, and therefore thinner and flatter than the Native III. Most SS Spydies are thinner in the handle than their FRN counterparts, and due to the Native III’s 3D handle design the difference between these two is even greater. The SS Spydies are also heavier. Some people prefer the heft of an all steel knife, but it can also have it’s own drawbacks. Another positive note about the steel handle of the Native II is that those SS slabs scream “ENGRAVE ME!” which can give the knife a personalized touch.

Choosing a knife is a personal thing. We all have different needs, likes, and preferences. What best for me may not work at all for you. Until you start actually using a knife for day-to-day chores, it’s difficult to know what will fit you best. The best thing to do is figure out what your needs are, and what features you like (or just think you like), then find a knife that fits that description. You may find that your initial beliefs on the subject were totally off, but you won’t know until you apply them practically. I had to go through many knives before I could narrow down what works for me. I initially thought that I would never really need or desire a hawkbill blade. Now, it is my preferred blade style. I often tell knife newbies that it is my belief that the best Spyderco for someone who just wants to start out with a single knife is the Endura CE. The four-inches of blade does a lot more work than three-inches will, and the combination edge is like having two different blades (one SE, and one PE) in one knife. It will also allow you to discover whether you prefer plain edge or serrated. However, with it's municiple friendly, three-inch blade, the Native from Wal-Mart is a great starter knife for the average user.

thesurefire is right (on all his points). If you don’t use the knife very much, you probably won’t notice much difference between blade steels. Do a few searches among different forums, and you’ll find lots of happy owners of CRKT knives with AUS6 blades. For the price of some of the cheaper ones, they are good knives.

It really isn’t about which knife is better than the other; it’s about which one is best for you personally.

Shrug Re: looking for knife

I really like Spydercos.

I think a Delica 4 is very close to perfect for a EDC folder. The edge is amazing and VG-10 has very good edge retention. I think Lighthound sells them for $42. It is also very light and easy to carry clipped to ones pocket.

You could also get a Byrd Meadowlark with G10 (composite) grip for $22 which is a great deal (got one on the way as a gift )

I really don't like SS handles, it makes the knife heavier and a lot less grippy when wet or dirty. It can be made slightly slimmer with steel grip, but not enough to counter the bad points IMHO...

Some people love the Native and the Walmart deal is very good, but you should try to hold a knife before buying.

Default Re: looking for knife

Regarding the Spyderco kniives, if you haven't owned or used a Spyderco before, you might want to try to borrow one first to tinker with it and make sure you like it. A lot of Spyderco's designs are pretty unique and people seem to either love them or hate them.

Richard

Cool Re: looking for knife

my brothers spyderco dragonfly is really cool. I went to walmart today, but nothing ... i did go to target and i saw this:

http://leatherman.com/products/knive...03/default.asp

looked really nice imho. But i dont know if the blade will hold iits edge well.

-David