5 Watt Space Needle Launch

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
The Arctic Silver epoxy finally showed signs of good firmness so I finished the solder points on the 5W white Mag 2C Space Needle (hey, it's my mod and I'll call her whatever I want, especially after the alien abduction ordeal she went through) and fired her up -- man, was she ever BRIGHT!

The first thing anybody does with a new mod is compare it to known existing contemporaries, so here is a pic of the Luxeon Warriors (hey, that'd be a cool name for a laser tag team or something). From left to right they are:

1W Side Emitter in Mag 3D

5W Side Emitter in Garrity 2D/6AA

Space Needle, and the

LGI:

fd0bd568.jpg

I included the LGI to highlight just how small and handy the Maglite 2C flashlight really is.

And here are the beamshots in the same order, taken from 8 feet away:

fd0bd569.jpg

The Space Needle had the biggest hotspot and in person it was obvious that the hotspot was brighter as well. Also note how truly white the beam is compared to the other three, especially in the coronas. Also notice how the two 5-watt lights make the vaunted LGI look like an X5 or Photon II (*sob*)...

I then light metered the two 5 watters and the Garrity made 3,730 lux against the Space Needle's 4,920 lux.

But focus (or lack thereof) tends to distort the readings, so I did an Integrating Ceiling Test by facing the light meter sensor straight up and shining each light at the same spot above it on the ceiling. I also measured the 1W Mag 3D for comparison:

Space Needle - 25 lux

Garrity - 22 lux

1W Mag 3D - 12 lux

The difference in brightness between the Space Needle and Garrity could probably be attributed to the individual flux difference between the two identical Luxeon models (both 5-watt white Side Emitters), but then again, the Space Needle is being powered by three Sanyo 123 lithiums.

And finally, the Lambda-inspired light saber shot, over 8 feet of lumpy berber carpet:

fd0bd567.jpg

Here you can really see the difference in the beam colors, as well as the size and intensity of the hotspot.

I must agree with McGizmo that the HDs seem to work even better than the Side Emitters in reflectors. Nothing left to do but wait for a 5W HD to mod.

Coming up next, Space Needle Part II...or could this be the new LG5?

lambda

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very nice Mr. B,

An excellent mod and very good pics of the beams there also.

What's the current thru the Space Needle? Three CR123s in my M3 mod drive the 5W at 990ma for comparison.

Can't wait to see your SNP2 report next...

x-ray

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hear the Luxor in vegas want's to cut their power bill, perhaps you could sell them a Space Needle and a few hundred 123's
grin.gif

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
Kevin, I'm getting 1.55 amps. Hooboy, no wonder it's so bright...might it be Dimmer Time?

Hey x-ray, I already did...;^)

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
1.55 amps multiply by 9 volts (8 or 7 under load, most prolly 8) = 12.4 watts..

MR B! That's not a 5 watt LS! that'S A 12.4 WATTS LS (!!@#$)

Is there anything wrong with my calculation.

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mr. Bulk, Wow! 1.5A!!! It seems you made a very good heat sink for it. I think it could stand direct drive 6AA NiMH on Mag 2D body that I'd hit www.paypal.com right away:)

Alan

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Mr. Bulk,

You and your bright ideas!!! Cool Brah! I have noticed with the white 5W's I have played with that the color temp really increases with current. It would be interesting to see if you observe the same. For the real white light in a 5 that is under driven, we will probably need the much sought after higher color temp bin units. I wonder if Lumileds is making some 5's that are in the blue/white range at rated power.

On HD VS SE, I suspect that a reflector could be designed to tighten the beam on the SE and if this were the case, the SE would outperform the HD as more of its light would take the reflected path.

Keep up the good work!

- Don

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
This mod is really meant as an experiment, as I think the light would get pretty hot pretty fast. In fact it got a little warm just during the beamshots and light metering, although different Luxeons would yield different results in the same donor. And I effusively Thank the guy (and you know who you are!) who got this LS to me.

Don I'm sure you are correct, I do know that sometimes when testing a batch of Luxeons on the light meter and driving them at less than the planned voltage, I'll get a different result when they are in the mod and fully powered up. Not just in color, but in final brightness as well...

If this Space Needle is ever sold as a mod, it would have to be with the express understanding that it is for intermittent use only, none of this runtime testing business. Just for searching a distant canyon for a minute or two or as wow factor to impress your buddies. Also I am starting to think Space Needle is a kinda dumb name, and I herewith change it to...Spicy Noodles (just kidding).

LG5 does have a nice ring to it, though...

NightStorm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by Lux Luthor:
Hmmm. It evens beats Craig's greenie. Now the residents of Seattle have something else to puzzle about.
shocked.gif
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Actually, the "Terra Destroyer" was a McGizmo-dat2zip collaboration and I got to play with it while it was in Craig's care. Pretty impressive, I must say!
grin.gif
cool.gif
grin.gif

Dan

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
PercaDan, wow, I did not know the real Seattle Space Needle actually put out a skyward beam! Space Needle it might remain...hopefully it does not ever emulate the fireworks part though...

Latest posts