Attempting KL3 mod, where to buy resistors?

schiesz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just got a new (to me at least) Gen 1 KL3 head, and am using instructions from an OLD thread to get it up to spec :naughty:.

The thread mentions the use of .47 and .1 ohm resistors soldered on top of the existing ones.

http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=44093

Does anyone know where I can get these resistors?

I replaced the old batwing lux I already with a cheap Lux III, but I think its time to crank up the amps to this thing!

Thanks for the help,

schiesz

Last edited:

schiesz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Attempting KL3 mod, looking for resistors

Ok, I see the Shoppe has 0603 resistors in .1 and .47 ohm. Are the 0603 resistors the ones I need?

schiesz

schiesz

Flashlight Enthusiast

I found another old post by CM stating that you use 1210 sized resistors. I haven't been able to locate these online yet. I have found 1206 size, but not 1210 yet. Anyone know where to get these resistors?

schiesz

schiesz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I haven't seen Chop on here for a while, although I did get a PM reply from him early this year. I think he ran into some troubles with the hurricane. I'll check out the Digi-key part numbers. I searched on digi-key for a while, but couldn't find them myself. Thanks!

schiesz

schiesz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Mudman! resistors ordered. If anyone else needs some let me know, i'll have excess since the minimum quantity was 10 for each.

schiesz

Icarus

Flashlight Enthusiast
I suppose you ordered 0.47 and 0.1 ohm resistors. I might be interested.
What output current do you get with these values.

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast

schiesz said:
I found another old post by CM stating that you use 1210 sized resistors. I haven't been able to locate these online yet. I have found 1206 size, but not 1210 yet. Anyone know where to get these resistors?

schiesz

You can use 1206 resistors. They're the smallest I'd go with. Just pay attention to power dissipation across the resistor. Glad those old threads are still around helping others out :)

Icarus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Icarus said:
I suppose you ordered 0.47 and 0.1 ohm resistors. I might be interested.
What output current do you get with these values?
:popcorn:

schiesz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I ordered 10x .1 and and 10x .47 1210 size resistors.

From the OLD posts, I believe the values given were as follows:

1) stack ONE .1 ohm on the old one, changes the current to 700 ma (for 2 parallel .1 ohm resistors, one original .47 ohm resistor)
2) stack ONE .1 ohm and ONE .47 on the original ones, to get 1 a (2 parallel .1 ohm, 2 parallel .47 ohm)
3) stack TWO .1 ohm and TWO .47 on the original ones to get 1.2 a (3 parallel .1 ohm, 3 parallel .47 ohm)

I'll check the old posts tonight if I have a chance to see if that is accurate. I just got a shipment notice from digikey, but it will probably be a week before I get those resistors to see if these are the results I find.

schiesz

Icarus

Flashlight Enthusiast
:thanks: for answering my question. :thumbsup:
I'll take the remaining resistors when you're done. ;)

schiesz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks CM for posting all that information. Google site search is great for finding those old archived postes. It has helped me immensely so far, and i'm sure it will help A LOT more once the resistors are here.

schiesz

schiesz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got the resistors today, now to just get the back of the KL3 open.

I knew the resistors would be small, but I didn't realize just what I was getting myself into...

Flashlights003.jpg

schiesz

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
schiesz said:
Got the resistors today, now to just get the back of the KL3 open.

I knew the resistors would be small, but I didn't realize just what I was getting myself into...

Flashlights003.jpg

schiesz

Hehehe, if you think those are small, try working with 0603 (used in sammies) or even 0408. Those KL3 resistors are GIANT :D

Good luck with opening it up. Be carefull not to get the wires all twisted up.