Storacell

Thread: UV1J vs UX0K

Default UV1J vs UX0K

So With all the talk of these incredible UX0K's I just hope I made the right decision in picking the UV1J emitter for my McLuxIII Ti PD.
    Anybody have their UV1J Light yet?
    Any thoughts?
    Yaesumofo
    Support your local flashlight builder.
    Buy American. Stop crying and start Buying.
    Flashlights are tools. Period.

Default Re: UV1J vs UX0K

Same here; never seen a UV1J

Dun have a Mclux or UV1J but have messed with a couple of TV1K and TV1Ls, the beam is quite noticeably leaning towards yellowish, especially if you are used to W0 or X0. Also contrasted when comparing lights side by side.

I have two UV1J lights ... one Ti-PD and one Aleph-LE with a DB917. Both produce a very pleasant yellowish white beam with no hint of green or blue. Warm for a LED (but still no incan), not HID-cold.
    I love this, which is why I went for this bin with my Ti-PD. It is of course one of the more "extreme" bins, and I am known for being quite tolerant in the tint-issue ... so YMMV.
    bernie
    There is a type of perfection that transcends the quest for lumens. Buying a $250 1-cell light for "lum factor" is like buying a $250 single malt Scotch for the alcohol content.
    - paulr

It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
    My shoes are too tight. But it doesn't matter, because I have forgotten how to dance.

Well Now that I have my new McLUX III Ti PD with a UV1J bin emitter I see that there is nothing to worry about at all in fact As a fan of the W0 bin for quite a long I believe my taste has changed. I am really liking the UV1J tine. it is warm without being yellow. somebody mentioned vanilla. hardly an accurate way to describe a color ..normally. In this case vanilla is just right. It is very good. there is no blue or purple or green of any kind. I don't mine the green tints they are great outside at night. I will go out and use this light and see how it looks outside at night. UV1J ROCKS.

Yaesumofo

man.....now I want a V1 bin......

Quote Originally Posted by yaesumofo
    somebody mentioned vanilla. hardly an accurate way to describe a color ..normally. In this case vanilla is just right. UV1J ROCKS.

Yaesumofo
    For a minute there I thought you were gonna disagree with my "Vanilla" analogy.

I can not get enough of this tint!
    -PSM

i'm not sure if i like the UV1J. comparing it to a UWOJ the UV1J seems kinda too yellowish for me. i think i'm the first to say that the UV1J IMO isnt that great as everyone is saying. i didnt get my first choice which was the UXOK. i'll be swapping the emitter if/when i can get an extra heatsink or i'll just have to pry the original out. so far the UWOJ is my #1 bin choice. other emitters i'll have to see for myself in person, if i can, before deciding on a better tint i like more then the UWOJ. other then the LED tint, the light is a keeper.
    The early bird gets the worm, but it's the second mouse that gets the cheese.

No. Vanilla comes closest IMHO, I agree.
    And V1 is it for me, too, for some time now. Not that I'd mind a nice X0 either ...
    There is a type of perfection that transcends the quest for lumens. Buying a $250 1-cell light for "lum factor" is like buying a $250 single malt Scotch for the alcohol content.
    - paulr

My shoes are too tight. But it doesn't matter, because I have forgotten how to dance.

I had concerns about all the UV1J's that were ordered but it seems that these have been reasonably well received. I caution that there is tint variation within this bin just like all the other bins!! Frankly, I see no real functional problem with any of the LED's these days but yes, they all have tints!! It is all relative and most apparent in relative comparisons.
    Build Prices .... some mods and builds (not 4 sale) "Nature can be cruel- but we don't have to be."~ Temple Grandin

Flashaholic*

I'm very happy with my UV1J. And even happier with the host
    McCree XR-19C | Ti PD UVIJ | PD-UX1K | 27LT X-Cree Mod | Ti- ExoLion #14 | Aleph 3 WWOT | Milkyspit L1 | TnC: HyperLux V's, KeyLux N-Cell/AAA's | Orb RAW U-bin | Space Needle II Clone's | Surefire: 622, Nice and Green L2 Hotwires: HA-III Mag11 | Cmaccel Finned HA-III ROP 550/1300

I'm a big fan of the V1 tint, especially for outdoor use. Whomever came up with the 'vanilla' description is right on. An excellent way to chracterize the tint.

Out of curiosity, I decided to go with the XO tint at the last second just to see what it would look like. I figured that with the removable heatsink I could change out the LED if I didn't like it.

As this is my first XO, I'm not sure all others are like this, but this one is very nice!! I was expecting some blue to find its way into the beam, but there is none that I can see. Usually lights with blue tints make flourescent items stand out more, turn reds and blues slightly purplish, or make browns look darker than they are to me. So far I can't see any of these color shifts. Even my WOs look purple in comparison. I'm quite surprised!

I'm a huge fan of X0. This bin (lottery aside) is very neutral to my eyes. But after hearing the feedback on the V1's, I am very curious. Perhaps for the Ti 27L PD, I will make that a V1?

It would be helpful if someone can post a comparative beamshot of the two bins.

WP

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomZ
    i'm not sure if i like the UV1J. comparing it to a UWOJ the UV1J seems kinda too yellowish for me. i think i'm the first to say that the UV1J IMO isnt that great as everyone is saying. i didnt get my first choice which was the UXOK. i'll be swapping the emitter if/when i can get an extra heatsink or i'll just have to pry the original out. so far the UWOJ is my #1 bin choice. other emitters i'll have to see for myself in person, if i can, before deciding on a better tint i like more then the UWOJ. other then the LED tint, the light is a keeper.
    I felt the same way yesterday when I first got the light. COMPARING the light to some of my other lights, the V1's tint is warmer and yellower in color compared with some of my blueish tinted LEDs. By itself, I don't really notice the yellower, warmer tint. Unfortunately, I don't have a WO light to compare it to.

I probably won't be swaping out the UV1J I recieved with this light since its seems to be a lottery winner. "Lightbox" readings have the LED's light ouput exeeding some of my Lux V's and the LED on this light was twice as bright as the McluxIII-Ti I once had.

Flashaholic

I've found that the V1 gives slightly better color rendition than the X0 but if you shine both on a white wall the X0 looks totally neutral while the V1 does have that bit of color in the beam(vanilla). A white wall hunter will probably prefer the X0 but my preference for real life use is for the V1. After saying all of that i would very happily have either of those tints in my lights as the difference is very slight unless you shine both on a white wall.

Flashaholic*

I have only played with one of my Ti PDs with the UV1J but have to say that I prefer the UV1J over the U Bin HA PDs tint for regular use. Haven't had a chance to do too much with it since it only arrived yesterday but at this point I am VERY satisified with the UV1J. At some point I might have to consider trading my "spare" for one of the other bins to make a direct comparison, but not until I see the obligatory beam shots that will crop up on the forum

THANKS AGAIN DON!!!!!

I have a UV1J in my III-T and it took me a little while to warm up to it, but I love it now. The light is very natural to me. But I also like the UXOK in the PD I just sold, it was blazing bright.

Was the UX0K brighter than the UV1J? How much?
    Yaesumofo

Quote Originally Posted by Fringe
    I have a UV1J in my III-T and it took me a little while to warm up to it, but I love it now. The light is very natural to me. But I also like the UXOK in the PD I just sold, it was blazing bright.

Yae,

Seemed like a lot to me, but I did not have any type of light measuring device except what God gave me, but I am positive it seemed a lot brighter to me. I like the UXOK bin just for this effect of, "brightness." I like them both. I have not decide what I would, "prefer."

I am mistaken. I thought my III-T had a UV1J in it, but it is instead a UX1J. Damn, now I am wishing I kept my Ti PD and held out for a trade. I really want to see what this tint looks like. I hope to get this tint soon to see.

Quote Originally Posted by yaesumofo
    ... It is very good. there is no blue or purple or green of any kind. I don't mine the green tints they are great outside at night. I will go out and use this light and see how it looks outside at night. UV1J ROCKS.

Yaesumofo
    So, how does it look outside (in the woods, on green foliage) at night?

Quote Originally Posted by CroMAGnet
    So, how does it look outside (in the woods, on green foliage) at night?
    Excellent color rendition, very accurate.
    -PSM

Ok, I've done a side-by-side comparison of the beams from a Ti-PD UX0K, Ti-PD UW0H, and a Ti-PD UV1K.....

I must say......

TWO THUMBS UP

for the V1 tint!

V1 will be added to my list of favorites, which include X0 and W0.

WP

Yepp. I have two V1 lights ... and those two are my preferred tint-wise. Absolutely the best LED tint, IMHO.
    Welcome to the club, WP!
    bernie
    - paulr

Thanks Bernie!

I would say this about the V1 tint:

"Finally, a tint on an LED that's not so LED'ish!"

WP