Green laser pointer buy online?

philly_jo

Newly Enlightened
Hay ive been looking for a really strong green laser pointer,

like the ones you see bursting balloons. However i dont want it to be very dangerous.

So can you please advice of one i could buy online, thats not to expensive but enough for a quality one, and can be pot modded easily.
Any restricitions bringing these into Australia?
Or anyone living down under that knows of any good shops to buy them?

Cheers,
phil

That_Guy

Enlightened
Bursting balloons and not being dangerous are mutually exclusive. If you want to burst balloons may I suggest a pin for close range, or an air rifle for longer distances. Far more effective.

It is illegal to sell, purchase, possess or use any battery powered laser exceeding 1mW in Australia, although I've never heard of anyone having any problems importing one. So as long as you don't go being an idiot you shouldn't have any trouble.

Last edited:

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
People on CPF's laser forums seem to like the Leadlight 105 and Leadlight 110, especially for modding. However, your requirements for brightness and balloon-popping together with safety confused me quite a bit. Any laser above 10 or so mW can blind instantly, before the blink reflex can kick in. That's why laser goggles are such a popular topic around here. Check for a Barr & Stroud model on eBay for around $20-50, or keep on searching on eBay for something like "goggles 532*" or "laser goggles" or "laser goggles 532*".

On a separate note, I seem to remember reading on these forums that lasers above Class II (2-3mW, or thereabouts) are entirely illegal in Australia. Laser laws can be very confusing and are discussed constantly at CPF, so I would suggest visiting your local law enforcement and asking them about it.

philly_jo

Newly Enlightened
Actually some of ure info is a lil bit of i think:

I own a red laser pointer i bought at a department store which is a:

Class 111A Laser with wavelength 650nm +_ 10 with max output <5NM

and these are legal.

So what laser am i looking at that could burst ballons? at the lowest level but still can? in green.

[EDIT] I found a seller on ebay that is selling Wicked Lasers relatively cheap and is in Australia already, So what power levels are those lighting matches etc. ? as i found:

35nm - $ GBP 17
55nm - $ GBP 33.75
75nm - $ GBP 94

Last edited:

Athoul

Enlightened
Apparently those auctions were pulled. Someone that had bid on one had won and did not get anything. They had recieved an email from the seller saying that they had to leave the country asap as the excuse. The seller canceled the paypal payment at least, so that the buyer did not end up losing any money.

philly_jo

Newly Enlightened
This guy has really good feedback, and its an official seller of them from wicked lasers. However they ship from china :S

Also i dont think hes sold them before not to sure but mainly hes sold phone covers from what i gather.

Dont no if i should bid on it. If customs gets it :(

[edit]
just checked the seller and hes pulled everything from his sales and two have finished that got no money :s thats really wierd.

Last edited:

nero_design

Enlightened
That_Guy said:
It is illegal to sell, purchase, possess or use any battery powered laser exceeding 1mW in Australia, although I've never heard of anyone having any problems importing one. So as long as you don't go being an idiot you shouldn't have any trouble.

There's NO law prohibiting Laser imports into Australia as long as you don't attempt to resell them in the country to the public. I contacted Customs and spoke with them in person to verify this. They told me that I could buy whatever I wanted and that they had looked into the subject of laser imports for me. They agreed with my suggestion that if I then used a laser in an irresponsible manner, then I would be subject to local laws (such as public mischief or reckless endangerment).

I have noticed that the Victorian Government may have added lasers over 1mW to their Prohibited Weapons list but that many other items on that same list are currently openly sold in stores in Melbourne. With laws as tight as they are down in Victoria, it might be worth looking into if you live down there. As for Sydney/NSW, there's currently no rules or laws against importing lasers, only if you try to resell them to the public (and they exceed 1mW). I spoke to the Senior Imports Officer when I enquired about importing my lasers and I actually phoned her to verify that the information she gave was indeed correct. This was in relation to a Wicked <110mW laser.

To resell a laser over 1mW to the public would violate local laws. Therefore, any local ads would attract the attention of Consumer Affairs resulting in a fine or charges from the AFP (Australian Federal Police).

Phil, there were two shops in Sydney selling 20mW green lasers just last year for astronomy uses. One no longer sells them and the other had his last shipment of 700 units seized and destroyed. The AFP regularly check and caution stores on behalf of Consumer Affairs to ascertain that the lasers sold are not over 1mW. This is the result of kids abusing lasers in 1997 and shining them at each other and at vehicles. Jaycar Electronics sells a 10mW green diode for AUD $150 although it's not as good value as other lasers from online since it has no battery compartment to make it portable (hence it can be legally sold as it is not classified as a pointer here). http://www.jaycar.com.au/productVie...d2=&pageNumber=&priceMin=&priceMax=&SUBCATID=

To clarify:

*Australia defines a "Laser pointer" as any portable laser that can be powered by batteries and may be handheld, regardless of output.

*America defines a "Laser pointer" as any handheld laser under 5mW.

Last edited:

That_Guy

Enlightened
I've known about it being illegal for retailers to sell pointers >1mW for a quite some time now, but a while ago when I was searching for laser pointer regulations I was surprised to find that even possession of >1mW laser pointers was illegal. I think this is it: www.adm.monash.edu.au/ohse/assets/docs/information-sheets/lasers.pdf

Legislative Requirements for Laser Pointers
The Control of Weapons (Amendment) Regulations 1998 came into effect on 23 November 1998. Under these regulations it is prohibited to import, sell, manufacture, possess and use laser pointers which emit a laser beam with an accessible emission limit greater than 1mW, i.e. Class 3R. Laser pointers are not commercially available in Class 3B or 4. Any laser pointers of Class 3R should be handed in to your nearest police station. Penalty for possession and use is $6000 or 6 months imprisonment.

This is from Monash University, which I think is located in Victoria, so you may be right that this is a state law that only applies to Victoria.

Are there any Victorians here who after reading this are now going to go hand in their class 3R laser pointer to their nearest police station? :laughing:

nero_design

Enlightened
The Control Of Weapons Act applies to residents of the State Of Victoria (down south) only. An exemption is available for residents which I believe requires the use of a lockable container to store the lasers.

For NSW residents, here I am goofing off with two uniformed police officers in a staged photograph which depicts them confiscating my lasers.
medium.jpg

Lasers are not prohibited or even restricted in this state (and most others, as long as they are not being sold commecially to the public) and I assure you that the two policemen in the photograph would have confiscated mine had I been in breech of the law. As it was, I had a hard time getting one of them back because they really liked playing with them so much.

Last edited:

philly_jo

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for all going out of your way to answer my questions really appreciated!!

Good to see alot of aussies online :D

Also where about did you guys buy ure lasers from and how much where they?