HD vs SE in 1Watt Luxeons and small reflector applications: BEAM SHOTS

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Hi guys,

I just took some photos and I have found that in comparison of the 1 watt Luxeons in a SureFire Exe reflector, the side emitters do seem to perform better. In the comparison shots below, the camera was set to capture the reflected beam so the lower level direct beam is not really even seen. Further, the high dome LED's definitely put significantly more light out in the direct, wide angle beam.

E1e-HD1W500mA.jpg

E1e-SE1W500mA.jpg

Above are white emitters; first the HD and second the SE (both driven at 500 mA)

E1e-cyanHD1W500mA.jpg

E1e-cyanSE1W400mA.jpg

Above are cyan emitters; first the HD and then a SE. The HD is driven at 500 mA; SE at 400 mA

Obviously the intensities are a function of luminous output and are therefore suspect. The relative size and brightness gradients are a function of the reflector and conclusions drawn from these aspects do have merit. All shots were taken with the same manual exposure settings and the images are not cropped so size comparisons are legitimate.

MORE BEAM SHOTS

- Don

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the pics McGizmo. They help confirm what I think is now becoming the general consensus:

HD = pinpoint spot with lots of side spill.

SE = larger spot with some gradual rolloff, less side spill, brighter center.

Anyone correct me if I'm wrong.

Minjin

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about the 5w side emitter in the same reflector? I'd really like to see a well done, well focused 5w with current regulation in a 2x123a light. If Lumiled's claims of 120 lumens at spec current are accurate, then this configuration should obsolete a couple of SureFire LA's. Same battery life, double the output, all combined with the other advantages of an LED light source. Sounds too good to be true.

Mark

Doug S

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don, this [along with your link to more info] is [to me] one of the most useful posts I have ever seen here on CPF. Your careful attention to measuring and providing relevant details of your test setup IMHO are superb. You have been a very busy boy!

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Minjin and others,

Below is a side by side photo I had posted in another thread showing two 5W's underdriven at 500 mA. The light on the left is a SE and on the right, a HD:

beams.jpg

Also in the other thread, I took the image above and in PhotoShop, varied the intensity to show information that the camera recorded in the image but information not really visible in a single photo:

varied-intensity.jpg

You can see in the top image that the direct beams (not reflected) of both lights do in fact have the same size (beam angle) but the HD puts enough light straight out directly that this beam is much more apparent. All of the turbo beam images in the "more beam shots" are of 5W HD's. I have some 5W SE whites on order and will make a turbo module for one when I get them. Unfortunately I let my first experience with SE vs HD cloud my judgement to the value of the SE. It was a case of two Cyan 5W's and in retrospect, I let the inferior color of the SE along with lux readings in turbo reflectors convince me that there was no merit to the SE. The lux readings were the same but what I likkely failed to notice on my bench test that the SE probably had a slightly larger center spot. In real applications, I probably would have found that the SE threw a larger spot the same distance as the HD. My bad. That Cyan SE never got past the bench and was decapitated shortly thereafter..........

Even the turbos with HD's give off an amazing beam! A group of us now all have the cyan 5W turbos and these things are awesome! The white 5W HD that I made is also very impressive! The direct beam is intense enough to easily provide a wide flood of illumination while the spot throws out a distance farther than any configuration of 1W I have seen. A turbo with SE is likely to be very impressive! I believe Mr. Bulk and Lambda have already seen this with their large reflector mods using the 5W SE.

- Don

EDIT: Oh yeah, the 5W shots above are also LED's in the Exe heads using the Ex reflectors.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
wow, that is amazing. i recently ordered some se whites and cyans, so i will have to do some experimenting as soon as time allows.

have you found that the se is always whiter than the others? kevin said his were, and everyones picturs seem to be...is it safe to say?

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Rothrandir,

So far,I have received whiter SE's both in 5W and 1W compared to HD's, but that is not to say this should be expected. It is likely what the bin of the open spool is, that the loose parts are pulled from. Still a crap shoot. My first 5W HD's were pretty much white at full current but went a bit green on under driving. The last batch of 5 E HD's are defiinitely on the green tint. Bummer. I have yet to hear of a blue/white 5 W. This is the color I prefer
frown.gif

- Don

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
>>I have yet to hear of a blue/white 5 W. This is the color I prefer<<

i agree.

Bushman

Flashlight Enthusiast
To me, and for me, it sounds like that the 1w SE and the 5 watt HD are the way to go. I cant see that I would gain THAT much by going with a HD in a 1 watt over the LD...