QuadLux, Four Luxeon Star Terrain Burner

ElektroLumens

Flashlight Enthusiast
I finally did a quad Luxeon Star 3D flashlight. I've been thinking of doing one for a while. The ultimate Luxeon Star Flashlight! Bright light, and long battery life. Inexpensive D cell batteries.

QuadLux.1.jpg

StarLux Brightness measurements from 1 meter:

1 Luxeon Star: 560 Lux
3 Luxeon Stars: 1,270 Lux
4 Luxeon Stars: 1,480 Lux

This thing is bright!

Wayne J.
www.elektrolumens.com

ElektroLumens

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by Wits' End:
I assume the 1, 3, 4 Luxeon comparison is just to show relative brightness? Or is it switchable?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">This is the light comparison of the three different versions of this flashlight I have done.

Switchable? Not a bad idea. But if I have a flashlight with 4 Luxeon Stars in it, I want to use all 4!
grin.gif

Wayne J.
www.elektrolumens.com

freeze12

Enlightened
Can You light a Cigarette or start a Campfire with that light?? (He-He) Can't wait till Mine arrive's!!
Wayne.... Keep up the GREAT work!!!

...Dan...

KartRacer31

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wayne - Could you give us a beam shot comparison to something common like a 3DMag, or a Surge.

Also how long can you run this light for? Does it get to hot to run for a long time? What kind of runtime can you get on the 3Dcells?

Are you going to make more, or is the one on EBay the only one?

Thanks -

ElektroLumens

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by KartRacer31:
Wayne - Could you give us a beam shot comparison to something common like a 3DMag, or a Surge.

Also how long can you run this light for? Does it get to hot to run for a long time? What kind of runtime can you get on the 3Dcells?

Are you going to make more, or is the one on EBay the only one?

Thanks -
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Sheesh, questons, questions, questions.

I presume this to be equivalent in brightness to a white 5 watt? I cannot compare because I don't have a Lambertian 5W (yet).

I'll try to do some comparison beam shots sometime soon.

Runtime? I need to check the eBay auction, and see what I put there, so I don't contradict myself.
grin.gif

Make more?
shocked.gif
Possibly?
icon3.gif

Wayne J.
www.elektrolumens.com

ElektroLumens

Flashlight Enthusiast
I managed to do a current check, and also a light measurement.

Using alkalines (not really fresh), I measure 1300mA. I measure 1,480 lux.

Using nimh rechargables, I measure 2,650mA, and 2,222 lux. Umm, this thing is BRIGHT!
shocked.gif

Using the rechargables, it does start getting warm. I will leave it on for a while to see if it stays at an acceptable temperature. Alkalines are fine, no heating up at all.

QuadStar appears much bluer in photo than it actualy is. It is actually very white.

Beamshot of QuadStar and Surge, Surge on spot setting.

Quad.Surge.comp.1.jpg

Here the Surge is on wide:

Quad.Surge.comp.2.jpg

Wayne J.
www.elektrolumens.com

KartRacer31

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wayne - Thanks for posting the shots. But spot and wide on the surge? You had me going crazy for a minute. I thought I must have bought an old model or something. Mine has no focus adjustment. Then I realized you must have just been unscrewing the head a little to achieve this. --

ElektroLumens

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by KartRacer31:
Wayne - Thanks for posting the shots. But spot and wide on the surge? You had me going crazy for a minute. I thought I must have bought an old model or something. Mine has no focus adjustment. Then I realized you must have just been unscrewing the head a little to achieve this. --
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">My Surge is focusable. Aren't they all? The Surge is a great flashlight. For it's size, it is extremely bright. On a wide beam, the surge is not as good as the QuadStar. On a tight focused beam, the Surge is brighter and throws farther.

These comparisons were done with the alkaline batteries in the QuadStar.

Wayne J.
www.elektrolumens.com

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just got my QuadLux today. To say it's merely bright is a disgrace to the light. This thing is the brightest white LED flashlight I own right now (only thing brighter being the 5W Cyan Blaster). That tells you how much light this thing is producing. And with NiMHs, as compared to alkalines, it seems to produce even more lumens...

In addition to being extremely bright, it is also very white, with a very faint green outer corona that's barely noticeable, if at all. The only thing I have that's whiter than this is Lambda's Cyclops.

Great job on aligning the beams, Wayne! They're perfectly centered, and they're of equal brightness as well; minimal fading. I'm going to WriteRight the top lens, as it could scratch sometime, but other than that, it's another great light that I get the opportunity to own.

I'll post some snapshots of it going against other lights later, and it'll show you just how bright this guy is...

Great job Wayne!

freeze12

Enlightened
Wayne... Thank's!! can You tell I am excited to play with the light as I already have the Ni-Cad's charged & ready to blast the Neighbor's Cat with it instead on the Laser. (drive's the Cat nut's!)

...Dan...