R123s in lasers

bindibadgi

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been wanting a greenie for ages now, and just got a little birthday money, so I thought I might take the plunge. It looks like I can get a discount, so I thought I might go for the Jasper Curve. Only problem is that 123a primaries cost ~$12 her in Australia, and I'm too lazy to commit myself to shipping batteries in when I need replacements. Does anybody know if it will let out the magic smoke to stick a li-ion r123 in there (i.e. 4.2V)? I emailed both LuckyDuck and Bigha to ask and LuckyDuck replied saying:

The Curve can run on a rechargeable battery
but it is not really recommended. On a normal 123 battery actual life
is 8-10 hrs of use and these batteries are about $5 in any store now.
I don't really think it's worth the extra cost to go with the
rechargeables.

I'm not sure if they understood that the rechargeable is 4.2V.

Any ideas?

P.S. I'm open to suggestions of other lasers (including non 123 based), but I'm only interested in it as a pointer/telescope finder, so I'm happy with 5mW. Although I'm unhappy with 4.5mW. :D

P.S. Sorry about the double post. I'm not quite sure why that happened, but I notice the other thread is locked.

Last edited:

Morelite

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can run the Jasper Curve, Now,and Always on 3.0v rechargeables, but I wouldn't run them with the 3.6/3.7 volt ones until someone takes the chance and tries it.

Athoul

Enlightened
Personally I'd go with a leadlight if you want a 5mW laser. Atlasnova sells fine tuned 5mW models that are far cheaper then any Jasper. Keep in mind the internals of the Jasper's and a leadlight are the same.