Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Plug in the wall Modules...

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Who cares as long as it is bright?

Votes: 2 25.0%

• Total voters

allthatwhichis

Enlightened
I'm just curious about people's preferences? At this point I prefer something that I can plug into the wall. I hate looking form batterys, and something I can leave on for a while and can intergrate into a laser show... :grin2:

Last edited:

jkaiser3000

Enlightened
Totally agree with you. In my case, I really wanted something that could be on for long periods, be stable stable (I'm not into holography just yet), and could be integrated into a graphics projector. I'm still waiting for my scanners, but when I get them, I'll start to build my projector :rock:.

My pointers are used mainly for that, for pointing :grin2:. I'm not at all interested in burning trash bags, or popping balloons :whistle:.

On the other hand, I can see the benefits of battery powered "pointers" à la PGL III. You may want high power any time, anywhere, so that's the way to go.

CTR321

Newly Enlightened
Although pointers are nice and convenient, batteries can become a hassle. My favorite laser is by far my helium neon. It very easy to expirement with and not worry about draining the batteries.

allthatwhichis

Enlightened
I have a 1mW HeNe tube with a generic 12V psu. It always shocks the shitte out of me. Something about a resistor not being 100% or so... or that's what the eBay seller told me when I asked if that was normal... :grin2: It works though, and as long as I don't touch it in the worng place I am shock free... :whistle: It is not big enough to warrent a spot in my sig...

jtice

Flashaholic
I originally had a 52mW pointer, and absolutely loved it,,, till it died :(

Probably due to me using it for long periods of time with my scanner setup,
even though I had a fan on it, they just arent ment for long term use,
and I dont think they are very reliable.

Now, I have a 100mW 532nm ThermoElectric Cooled table top, plug in module on the way.
MUCH more reliable, and will be better suited for the scanner setup.

I would like to find another nice pointer though, I do miss it,
and it was cool to actually be able to hold it in your hand, and take it anywhere.

Maybe if I dont use it for long periods like I did before, it will be more reliable.

~John

allthatwhichis

Enlightened
The_LED_Museum said:
I like that 10mW argon ion in your signature line though...looks quite similar to my 16mW 488nm single line TEM00 argon ion. :thumbsup:

Yea, I will hopefully love it once it arrives... :naughty: I am still waiting on a tracking number... I would like to make a RGB laser show and also bounce as much of the beams around my home for "mood" lighting. :grin2: I still need a nice red module though.

@jtice

I had a 15mW greenie from AtlasNova that I killed the same way, well I had it in the Laser FX for about 3 hours straight and it got REAL dim really quick... Looked like about .25mW. :ohgeez: That why I got the plug in module. I wanted something I could forget was on and not die... I tend to be rough on things...