Unique Titanium
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Did we ever determine, what some good/cheap Laser goggles are?

Flashaholic

Default Re: Did we ever determine, what some good/cheap Laser goggles are?

I think Wicked dropped thier prices to like $68 shipped. Plus for an additional 5%use one of the thousand wicked discount codes you have been pm'ed (no, I don't have one).

Enlightened

Quote Originally Posted by wells05
    http://www.toolbarn.com/product/dewalt/DW0714/

DO you guys thinks these would have similar protection compared to the tool kings? $14.55 shipped priority, and look a bit more comfortable than the tool kings. Thanks!

Edit:
    I just won a pair of the DeWalts for $6 on ebay. Is there a generic way to test to see if they block the 532nw wavelength?
    I'm glad that your glasses work good. You should share that info here too.
    http://www.greenlasers.co.uk/cgi-bin...7732;start=all

My CST/Berger glasses will be here today. I'll share my results with you guys. The review that I read on them is what convinced me to buy them.
    http://lasers.musicfoxaudio.com/lase...ison_guide.htm

I can understand paying $90 for glasses made in USA that has a lifetime warranty like these. http://www.noirlaser.com/filters/arg.html

Why buy overpriced glasses made in China for $90 when you can buy fair priced glasses made in China for under $20 and that work just as well. I don't care how nerdy or sporty looking they are. All I care is that they work.

Flashaholic

I should have updated here - the Dewalt's do work well - again almost too well, as just a dot is visible. They don't have much, if any IR protection though.
    I got mine of fleabay for $6, but here's a link to them:

http://www.toolbarn.com/product/dewalt/DW0714/

Not bad for $14.55 shipped.

Enlightened

Quote Originally Posted by wells05
    I should have updated here - the Dewalt's do work well - again almost too well, as just a dot is visible. They don't have much, if any IR protection though.
    Same thing here with the CST/Berger glasses. They work too good. You just see a fine orange dot around 1mm. Also I pointed my TV remote at them while looking through them with my digital camera. It didn't block any of the IR.

All I care is that it blocks the green. Just wish it didn't do it that well. You can't see the dot at all outside during the day. And you will be bumping into stuff like Stevie Wonder inside the house if you don't have enough light.

Also I can barely get them on my head because they are so tight on me. They will be a nice extra set for my better half to wear. I need to get some that can fit over glasses or better yet that can clip on like the old people do. Like I said before. I can care less about how nerdy or sporty looking they are.

A face shield would work.

Mpr Re: Did we ever determine, what some good/cheap Laser goggles are?

Quote Originally Posted by N8YWF

Flashaholic

Does this baby come with a nightstick and riot shield? If so, I'M IN!!!!

Really, it does look like a soultion for those with glasses...

I know that this is darn silly but would sun glasses help my eyes any better?

Better than what?

and NO they wouldnt.
    Problem is, they will block some of the light, making it so you dont have to squint your eyes much,
    BUT, theres a possibility that what you cant see will still be gettig in your eyes.

I guess sunglasses would be better than the naked eye,
    but I wouldnt want to rely on them and use them alot.

~John

I picked up a pair of these http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWN%3AIT&rd=1
    Work very well, the dot is just visible enough for me. They also block IR.

Quote Originally Posted by abeepak1
    I know that this is darn silly but would sun glasses help my eyes any better?
    NO!

The point of laser goggles is to completely 99.99% eliminate the certain wavelength of light that's coming through. Say we have a 100mw pointer and dark sunglasses eliminate 90% of the light. That's still 10mw of laser going into your eyes....still enough to blind you.

Thumbs up Re: Did we ever determine, what some good/cheap Laser goggles are?

Quote Originally Posted by emrbrtn
    I picked up a pair of these http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWN%3AIT&rd=1
    DAMN... that's a good deal ya got there!

@abeepak1

Do you hang around on DFI Street? I've seen your avatar there.

Enlightened

Quote Originally Posted by emrbrtn
    What are the make and model numbers for those goggles? I just might go looking around the army surplus stores and look for a pair. Also more info about them might be found online if we knew the make and model.

Do they fit well over glasses?

Quote Originally Posted by N8YWF
    What are the make and model numbers for those goggles? I just might go looking around the army surplus stores and look for a pair. Also more info about them might be found online if we knew the make and model.

Do they fit well over glasses?
    I cant find a model number anywhere. Just say Sun, Wind And Dust Goggles with Laser Protection on the box. The actual goggles say "Goggles Sun, Wind And Dust 1974" so I assume they are old goggles the military updated to add a lense to block lasers. I havent tried them with glasses but they have notches for the bows to come out of.

Quote Originally Posted by allthatwhichis
    No problems here man, I'm all about sniping myself! I actually backed off once I saw it was you bidding. You are a far more famous member of CPF, I am merely "enlightened" and have only been registered for a week or so, you must be close to Godhood by now... I also got a pair off the same person, but the ones I got are fugly... and unfortunatly I have yet to receive them...
    haha, i noticed that you also post on photonlexicon as well as the dj traximus message boards.. i hope you think i am not following you.

Enlightened

Ok, I got ornery at Wicked's shipping charge on safety glasses so I looked around some more. What do you think about these ?

Check out the .pdf at the Uvex company page. Look under SCT Orange and check the spectrum chart.
    http://www.uvex.us/products/lenschart.asp

Next look at this web page and check the price.
    http://www.discountsafetygear.com/uvpiwormile.html

A good find?

*** EDIT *** If you have a laser with no IR filter then maybe you will need something different. But that's a whole other thread.
    Last edited by Kwizatz Haderach; 03-07-2007 at 06:18 AM.
    I saw a UFO once. It was gray and shaped like a cigar that was fat in the middle. It had fins at one end, and something like a basket on its belly. It made a constant humming sound, and had a message for all the people of earth, predicting a bright future. It said "goodyear"!

Au Re: Did we ever determine, what some good/cheap Laser goggles are?

Soooo, you can get a pair of glasses that blocks by absorbtion blue and green lasers for... <$10...? I want it spelled out...

No instinct, I don't think you're following me. I'm not interesting enough for someone to care enough to follow me. In real life much less online. I do have a lot of pretty lights in my room though.

Quote Originally Posted by Apex007
    These worked just fine for me. They take forever to arrive though, it was about 10 days for mine to show up, maybe more. The dot isn't as easy to see as with the Wicked glasses, but for $13, why not?

http://www.toolking.com/productinfo.aspx?productid=8217
    I ordered 2 pairs of these to comapre to my expensive goggles. for 532nm they blow my OD6 $250 laser goggles away.. and they are far more comfortable cheaper and provide wrap aroud protection.

they are a little bit darker though.

highly recomended for greenies.

I'm still wary about the toolking goggles, especially as the WL goggles are at a great price. Everyone likes to mention that the toolking block green, but that is just a fraction of what needs to be considered. First off, and probably not a major problem is VLT. The less light gets transmitted, the more your pupils dilate to compensate and the more dangerous what little laser light gets through becomes. Also, the type of filtering is important. If they are very absorptive, you have to figure out how long the goggles will withstand the laser before they effectively break down and become useless. So the toolkings might function as a half-substitute for lower power greenies, but I'd be very wary about recommending them for higher power greens.

Enlightened

Wicked's are 21% VLT
    Those Uvex's are 45% VLT

Both have spectrum charts = Good

The other red glasses do not = Not so good (probably ok though)

Check my post above on the Uvex's including the .pdf

I would most likely go for one of the NoIR branded glasses if I were using a 100mW or greater. Probably one of the glass ones from them if I were using a 400mW or so.
    Last edited by Kwizatz Haderach; 03-07-2007 at 06:40 PM.
    I saw a UFO once. It was gray and shaped like a cigar that was fat in the middle. It had fins at one end, and something like a basket on its belly. It made a constant humming sound, and had a message for all the people of earth, predicting a bright future. It said "goodyear"!

Enlightened

*** Double Post..Delete ***

Quote Originally Posted by pseudonomen137
    The less light gets transmitted, the more your pupils dilate to compensate and the more dangerous what little laser light gets through becomes.
    Actually, that's only true in regard to one aspect... the widening of the angle in which laser light can enter the eye. But nonetheless, a smaller pupil size is of little advantage. Since the beam is still well collimated at typical indoor distances, even if your eyes have a small pupil diameter (3 - 4mm), if you get a straight or mostly straight shot, most or all of it goes in and gets focused on the retina. The "advantange" of a smaller pupil is made even more insignificant by the fact that you don't want laser beams entering your eye at all, even from more oblique angles.

Also, the type of filtering is important. If they are very absorptive, you have to figure out how long the goggles will withstand the laser before they effectively break down and become useless. So the toolkings might function as a half-substitute for lower power greenies, but I'd be very wary about recommending them for higher power greens.
    This is true, but on the devil's advocate side, it may take a substantial amount of direct beam energy/time to cause that breakdown. Exactly what "substantial" is, I don't know yet. Glass handles the thermal effects better than plastic from that kind of abuse, but even the cheaper plastics should hold up to non-specular reflections without the dye breaking down. At least at the powers most of us are dealing with. The 400 - 500mW range and above is a different ballgame.

Aseras - I must say, I'm tempted by these things for my 38mW green. Thanks for the report.

Edit: Instinct - Thank you for saying photonlexicon! Came across it once and didn't save the link. Couldn't seem to find it again!
    Last edited by Bimmerboy; 03-07-2007 at 06:41 PM.
    I'm an excellent driver. Of course I don't have my underwear... I'm definitely not wearing my underwear

I'm still wary about the toolking goggles, especially as the WL goggles are at a great price. Everyone likes to mention that the toolking block green, but that is just a fraction of what needs to be considered. First off, and probably not a major problem is VLT. The less light gets transmitted, the more your pupils dilate to compensate and the more dangerous what little laser light gets through becomes. Also, the type of filtering is important. If they are very absorptive, you have to figure out how long the goggles will withstand the laser before they effectively break down and become useless. So the toolkings might function as a half-substitute for lower power greenies, but I'd be very wary about recommending them for higher power greens.
    I'm going to sacrifice a pair the the 5 watt yag .. i already tried a pair under my 50mw, and a 400+mw and they held up ok.. got some scoring in the lense. which means it is absorbing properly. compared to some lazershield OD6 goggles, the dewalts block/absorb more 532.

I have a 400mw 457 nm deep blue laser that the lazersheild are also rated at od6 for ( 190-449 od5 450-532 od6 ) i'm going to zap them too and see how they hold up.

Here's some pics of my lazershields

The dewalts

I'm going to do a video here in a bit..

Enlightened

Just a quick follow-up on my search for cheap goggles/glasses.

My post above on the Uvex orange seemed like a nice find, ordered the glasses and just checked them. Being able to see all the green things sitting on my desk was my first clue.

Being able to see both the beam and spot confermed it. Sent the beam through the lens itself, in one side and out the other.

Well I needed some new driving glasses anyway. The hunt continues it seems.

Looking forward to any tests you are going to run ASERAS.
    Last edited by Kwizatz Haderach; 03-10-2007 at 05:46 AM.

Here's my update:

Dewalts:
    50mw laser on

laser off

Laser on again

Laser going through goggles at angle.. laser is hitting goggles directly, the large spot is the reflection. there is no laser light penetrating the goggles.

Video of 50mw laser through dewalt goggles and direct hit to camera.
    http://208.219.69.31/laser/dewalt.mpg ( 6 mb )

Video of 50mw laser through lasershield od6 goggles and direct hit to camera.
    http://208.219.69.31/laser/lasershields.mpg ( 4 mb )
    Last edited by Aseras; 03-12-2007 at 03:02 PM.

Enlightened

Thanks for the tests Aseras, I'm going to order a a DeWalt tonight. Recieved my Optotronics lens kit today but I want to wait till I have the glasses before I send reflections all around the room

Very cool, Aseras! Thanks for the test.

Looks like they really do block the hell out of green. So long as a laser is IR filtered, these may well be quite adequate. Still hate not to have actual ratings and certs (one of the things that add to the cost of real laser glasses), but may have to stop over at Sears or Home Depot today and check out a pair.

When you're wearing these, how well (or not) can you see the dot off a white wall?
    I'm an excellent driver. Of course I don't have my underwear... I'm definitely not wearing my underwear

Quote Originally Posted by Bimmerboy
    Very cool, Aseras! Thanks for the test.

Looks like they really do block the hell out of green. So long as a laser is IR filtered, these may well be quite adequate. Still hate not to have actual ratings and certs (one of the things that add to the cost of real laser glasses), but may have to stop over at Sears or Home Depot today and check out a pair.

When you're wearing these, how well (or not) can you see the dot off a white wall?
    you see a faint orangish looking dot. the dot on my 50mw is <=1mm. without the goggles it blooms to well over 10 mm and it's too bright to look at... even from across the room.

with the goggles on it's so faint, that unless the surface is really reflective ( bare wood is REALLY reflective, white paint varies ) that sometimes i have to swing the laser around or peek out of the goggles ( which is hard because the goggles are such good wrap arounds ) to find it... then it's easy.

Wow... they might be a bit too strong for my greenie. The answer of course, is to get a more powerful laser. Can't do that for a good while though.

Haven't been to any stores yet, but when I do I'll try to find various offerings to see if there may be anything that looks slightly less effective. I'd like to see just enough to check dot quality, speckle, and related stuff for my pointer, and for a couple other greenie owners.

Very useful info, Aseras. Thanks again!

Flashaholic

I did a rather unwise test on my wicked goggles http://www.laserpointerforums.com/fo...=1171065601/15 I pointed my Aries 225 point blank at the lens with the meter behind it and didn't have any detectable change in the meter. The downside is that it made a very small imperfection (not a hole) on the surface of the lens. Check out the video.

Steve
    Last edited by stevetexas; 03-16-2007 at 08:04 PM.
    " If at first you don't suceed, try, try again. Then QUIT. There's no use being a damn fool about it." W.C Fields