Did we ever determine, what some good/cheap Laser goggles are?

jtice

Flashaholic
I have a 100mW 532nm green laser on the way,
and I figure I need some goggles.

What are some good recommended ones?
Am I going to have to spend $100 to get a pair that dont look and feel like something Doc from Back to the future would wear?

Thanks
~John

LASERSforLIFE

Newly Enlightened
hm.. i was on the search for some too.
but i just decided to get the sport ones from wicked lasers...
and i love them. they work very very well... and they don't make you look like a mad scientist. they are pricey though, which is why i'm glad i had wickedbucks.

jtice

Flashaholic
From the toolking site...

"""# Improves visibility of laser beams under bright conditions or over distances
# Great for use with either rotary or straight-line laser tools which project a visible red beam"""

Those are NOT for blocking the laser !
Beware of these, you may think they are blocking alot, but they may only be blocking visable light, and still letting very harmful rays into your eyes !

LASERSforLIFE, what do you think of the Sport ones?
They worth the $$$?
What mW laser are you using them with?

~John

That_Guy

Enlightened
jtice said:
From the toolking site...

"""# Improves visibility of laser beams under bright conditions or over distances
# Great for use with either rotary or straight-line laser tools which project a visible red beam"""

Those are NOT for blocking the laser !

They enhance red lasers by blocking all other wavelengths ie. green.

Beware of these, you may think they are blocking alot, but they may only be blocking visable light, and still letting very harmful rays into your eyes !

Don't know what you mean by this. Since when has blocking invisible rays been an important requirement for laser goggles? Green lasers produce visible light.

They do also produce invisible IR, but this is blocked by the IR filter so IR blocking goggles are unnecessary. I don't know of any green laser goggles that also block IR.

jtice

Flashaholic
I am just cautious of ones that are made to enhance, etc.
They might not be rated to block everything needed.

While it is true, most lasers should be emitting mainly visible light,
that may not always be the case, and when you get up to 100+mW, you want to be sure.

~John

jkaiser3000

Enlightened
I know the barr&stroud goggles block IR light. I have an IR digital camera, and I can't see the led from a remote control with the goggles.

As for the toolkings, they enhance the red beams only because the were designed to block green light. In fact, if I remember well, they have a pretty high OD at 532nm, higher than wicked's for sure. This may be good, and bad, depending on the laser you have. They will protect you better than wicked's against higher powered lasers, but will hide the beam (not the dot though) on lower powered ones.

In the end, It's your choice. For one, you can't go wrong with any goggle designed for 532 nm. After all, it's better not to see a beam very well than to get blinded by it :candle:. I would suggest the barr&stroud or toolking if you are on a tight budhget, or the wicked if money is no issue and you want style in front of your eyes.

jtice

Flashaholic
Thanks jkaiser,

glad to hear that the cheaper ones are at least safe also,
though, I do want to see the beam, and the Wicked sport ones look more confortable,
so I may go with those.

Only problem is, I might end up needing them for other wavelengths,
and I am not seeing a line of cheaper ones made for green, blue, red, etc.

~John

LASERSforLIFE

Newly Enlightened
jtice said:
LASERSforLIFE, what do you think of the Sport ones?
They worth the $$$?
What mW laser are you using them with?

~John

i'm using a 75mW greenie with them. they are very very good. i highly recommend them to anyone who wants to spend that money for some saftey glasses. you can't see the beam with the goggles on, but the dot becomes very easy to look at with the glasses on and won't put strain on your eyes. i definitely think they are worth the money, as they are also a very comfortable fit, and they are pretty high quality. they don't look or feel fragile at all.

dsc03718vp4.jpg

allthatwhichis

Enlightened
jtice said:
Only problem is, I might end up needing them for other wavelengths,
and I am not seeing a line of cheaper ones made for green, blue, red, etc.

~John

eBay... :grin2: Here are a few I am watching, all are buy it nows...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7591878213&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7591874673&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7591873690&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

Actually I think they are all from the saem guy... Figures... :ohgeez: I haven't found any that will do all 3 primary colors. :scowl: Usually G and B, but not R...

N8YWF

Newly Enlightened
Last edited:

Athoul

Enlightened
It says 450-532nm(for the cheapest pair you posted), so it will protect against blue(473nm) radiation.

cy

Flashaholic
what's the model # and link for this? thanks,

LASERSforLIFE said:
i'm using a 75mW greenie with them. they are very very good. i highly recommend them to anyone who wants to spend that money for some saftey glasses. you can't see the beam with the goggles on, but the dot becomes very easy to look at with the glasses on and won't put strain on your eyes. i definitely think they are worth the money, as they are also a very comfortable fit, and they are pretty high quality. they don't look or feel fragile at all.

dsc03718vp4.jpg

ianb

Enlightened
The_LED_Museum said:
... after snagging that 100mW blue laser
:drool: awesome!

The_LED_Museum, the goggles you recommend look good, although I'm not sure it satisfies jtice's request...
jtice said:
...a pair that dont look and feel like something Doc from Back to the future would wear?
:D

but what price for your eyesight?

Ian

Last edited:

jtice

Flashaholic
:ironic: you say'in I'm picky? :p

Those do seems nice also.
I am thinking of just getting the Wicked ones, but $$$$ :broke:
I wouldnt mind the price, if they weren't just for green :(
Might have to bite the bullet though.
I also want to be able to see the beam still, and many others seem to block it completely.

~John