KL6 LED Conversion Head with M4 vs. KL5 with C3

Timber

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone have any experience with the M4 combination? Beam shape, heat build-up, and especially run time?

How does the KL6/M4 compare to the KL5/C3? Anyone try the KL5/C3 with an A-19 extender?

Thanks,
Timber

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would be interested in knowing this. I am considering a KL6 after finding out that it should be just fine running off of 3 RCR123 batteries.

I do have the KL5/C3 combination and I can't say that I noticed a large difference in the output using it on an M2 body or a C3 body.

I am using it on the L5 body now with rechargeables and I love it. Now I use it more than my U2 as I can use it without the guilt of using primaries.

-Goatee

kumar762

Banned
I've used the KL5 on a 12 volt system and I had no problems whatsoever.Overall output seemed a little higher than a standard 6 volt system and I was very impressed but there's really no need to run a KL5 off 12 volts when it's fine with 6 volts that's what I thought.The increase is nice but really not worth the extra length or weight,I say you should try the KL6 M4 combo.

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good advice kumar762. I was getting all jazzed up to put the KL5 on my C3 and stick some rechargeables in until I realized what you pointed out in your thread.

Why would I do that just to carry a longer and heavier light.

Duh!

-Goatee

kumar762

Banned
the KL5 works fine with great with rechargables,the only real benefits about adding that extra cells is the extended runtime,which is good but really not needed on a light such as the L5.

kumaR

Timber

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys.

Looks like the KL6/M4 may be the best set-up for long running at high output. I was interested in the 4 cell set-up to get the extended runtime with peak lumens. Weight or size are not an issue for me.

As I understand it regulated LED's will keep pulling all the energy necessary to achieve a steady high output until it's not possible to do so. Then the regulation shifts to a lower and declining output until depletion of the batteries. Is this correct?

Is there much difference in beam shape between the KL5 and KL6? Will either set-up get very hot in continuous mode?

Timber

kumar762

Banned
these two setups are very good when it comes to control heat they are both very good,you only notice the heat when your trying to or the light has been running for a "VERY" long time.Both of the light present awesome beams.the L5 has a very white hot spot with a good amount of spill that covers a little less area than C series lights.the throw on it is excellent and not only is the hotspot put out at distances but so is the spillbeam.From what I've seen with the L6 is that it has what is probally the best throw that I've seen sofar on an unmodded LED light,or an any surefire that didn't have a turbohead.The spillbeam is nice but not as nice as the L5.These are honestly both very nice lights,and if I had the choice I'd take the L5,but if the extra runtime was needed then there would be no questions asked about me choosing the M4/KL6 combo.

nc987

Enlightened
The length difference between the L6 body and the M4 body is not worth it to me. The L6 body is just about the perfect flashlight for your hand. The M4 body has an awkward feeling. If you need extra runtime just stick the KL6 on a M6 body. You run time will not increase greatly with the one extra cell the M4 offers.

Timber

Newly Enlightened
Kumar762 I am so glad you brought up spillbeam. I didn't even think about it. As to the handling of the M4, nc987, is it nose heavy? Maybe the best compromise would be the KL-5 with a C3 or 9P for 3 cells to extend run time.

I'm glad heat is not an issue. I'll probably be using it more intermittently over a moderate length of time, say 30-45 minutes. I'm curious to know what is considered to be a 'very' long run time though?

Thanks guys. I'm more confident about my decision now.

Timber