Looking for a real bright UV Led...

Virgo

Newly Enlightened

nethiker

Enlightened
There was a light for sale in this thread which got some great testamonials as being just what you're looking for. I think you can still buy them from the shoppe.

Edit: You beat me to it Virgo. Well that make 2 recomendations of the same.

Last edited:

Virgo

Newly Enlightened
Goody, one more recommendation just gets me that much more excited about this thing. :grin2: I've even broken out the old Arc AAA-UV in anticipation. Nakahoshi's been great to deal with and I love the host body he chose for the light, so I couldn't pass it up.

V

chesterqw

Flashlight Enthusiast
umm... UV leds should not be bright and if the leds were bright, they aren't UVs.

UV leds are mostly very dim unless you are talking about those near the royal blue spectrum(which is still dim btw).

aileron

Newly Enlightened
chesterqw said:
umm... UV leds should not be bright and if the leds were bright, they aren't UVs.

UV leds are mostly very dim unless you are talking about those near the royal blue spectrum(which is still dim btw).

I imagine he means bright as in a high output UV LED, not an LED with lots of output in the visible spectrum.
I'm also interested in the answer.

marcdilnutt

Enlightened
I have an Aleph A19 head with a Wiz2 and Cree UV LE and it is extremely effective, flourescing things from across the room. Havent found any practical use for it yet though!
Marc

Virgo

Newly Enlightened
I plan to use mine for scorpion hunting and mineral identification. Maybe some GID charging as well.

I'm just guessing but I think he means high output also. :)
V

Changchung

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi my friend, i am looking for just the Led, i have some clons luxeon flashlight here to put that Led, The uv led cant be read by MCD or Lumen, i need some Led maybe like a III Luxeon brightnest or V... :grin2: i need it for see gases... I try with a 21 UV leds but dosent work fine...

Virgo said:
Do you want just an LED or an assembled light? This one is on its way to me in the mail, so I do not have any experience with it yet. I'm sure it is going to be impressive.

http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=125478

You can get an assembled light, or just the head from the Sandwich Shoppe here:
http://theledguy.chainreactionweb.com/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=uv&osCsid=cb3891f16363e4ae49fb002334bcbc8a

Changchung

Flashlight Enthusiast
That price is so high, i can spend 20 or 30$ just for the Led... Thanks any way...

nethiker said:
There was a light for sale in this thread which got some great testamonials as being just what you're looking for. I think you can still buy them from the shoppe.

Edit: You beat me to it Virgo. Well that make 2 recomendations of the same.

Changchung

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Royal blue is a good option, but what i think is good for me is a K2 and this take 10 weeks to be shipped, i write a mail to the seller dept and they responce me they have some orders since march dont shipped yet... :awman:

chesterqw said:

Changchung

Flashlight Enthusiast

Changchung

Flashlight Enthusiast

*Retired*
I'm not sure who in your neck of the woods, distributes the CREE UV LED, but there is one over there.

In the US, the company is ETGTech. I think they are under eight dollars each.

If I recall correctly, CREE UV (395-405nm) emits more UV as that metal power transistor looking one, especially once you de-rate for typical die temperatures.

However a new version of the metal transistor looking one has gone thru a retrofit, to become this:
http://www.optotech.com/data_sheets/OTLH_0480_UV_13.pdf

With 6 Watts of power it emits 244 mW of 480nm dominant wavelength UV light.

Their 6W 395nm device makes 285mW:
http://www.optotech.com/data_sheets/OTLH-0360-UV-10.pdf

Keep in mind that these numbers are if you superchill the part to hold the LED die (junction), at 25C. This will take something close to -29C case temperature, to hold the die at 25C with 6W input.