Attention Please Raw Ti Owners.

orb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Attention Please Raw Ti Owners. :ohgeez:
Due to a mix up with material (Titanium & Stainless Steel) @ the CNC shop. It has just been proven that some of the 40 Raw Ti's that have all been sold are not all Titanium. They were sold as Titanium & have the Raw Ti Logo. It is hard to see any difference between the two.
This is a massive shock to me & still find it very hard to believe how I missed this when assembling them.

The only reason this got investigated was down to Codeman & his quite obvious (now) confusion about why his Raw Ti was the same weight as his Raw Ns
You can test to see if your Raw Ti is in fact Stainless with the magnets supplied as spacers. Please take out the battery & spring.
If the Magnets slightly cling to the lower body (With out the Battery & spring in) then its not good news. Your Raw Ti as it says on the Logo is made from a Special Aero space Stainless S31 which I am told is only purchased for a particular Job.
Of course if the magnets show no cling then its good news & your Raw Ti is made from Titanium. Your Case Closed.
The other now obvious give away is if you have a Raw Ns & Raw Ti/SS & they are the same weight!! It should be that the Raw Ti is about half the Weight, Not equal.

What I have done with Codeman is to send him the Last Raw Actual Ti I have coming back from the Photographer. He decided he wanted to keep his Raw SS & Paid me a further £100.
What Next?? Well I plan to do another Run of The Raw Ti. Once I have these (& this mistake will not happen again) I can replace the Raw SS's for Real Raw Ti's.
The Raw SS Still cost £100 to make Complete & to me are worth at least that. It is a special grade of SS S31 & I guess should be considered very unique!
Full Refunds to those with SS's would just about break me :broke:
So my favorite solution is to Replace with a Real Raw Ti when they are made & if you wish to keep your Raw SS & pay £100 when the 2nd batch of Raw Ti's are ready to go. As Codeman did. Then Great.
Other than that if you return the Raw SS when the Ti's are done I can offer them for Sale here on CPF.

Please post your findings here Ti or SS I would like to see a reply from every body please.
It will be impossible for there to be more than 20 of the SS Raws out there.
I will make right what has gone wrong here & please except my sincere apologies for this genuine **** Up :ohgeez:

:thanks: Rob
--
Findings So Far:
Raw Ti

1 Isak Hawk
2 Cliffnopus
3 Wave Particle
4 Blahblahblah
5 JohnnyDeep
6 FrenchyLed
7 SATrista
8 Regentag
9 Regentag

Raw SS: * Indicates Keeping & Purchasing a Real Raw Ti (2nd Batch) For Cost £100.
1 Ouchmyfinger
2 Codeman* Paid
3 Dmdrewitt*
4 Blahblahblah*
5 Kenster Front Half SS Rear Ti
6 PhotonFanatic Front Half SS Rear Ti
7 Dogliness*
8 Davesa*
9 GJW* K2
10 Cmacclel Front Ti Rear SS
11 Aosty Front Ti Rear SS

Last edited:

marcspar

Enlightened
Way to go, Rob! I'd be happy to buy one of the ss returns from you.

Marc

PhotonFanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Rob,

Good news from New England--my Ti is Ti. :D

Sorry to hear about the mix-up, but I've mistaken SS for Ti before myself. Only the weight gives it away (or the magnetism).

ouchmyfinger

Enlightened
Mine seems to be SS. Now I know why it has more mass than my exolion and cr2 ion, both of which are bigger.

The tail (with o-ring and 1 trit but without spring and battery) weighs 16.5 grams, and the magnets stick with spring/battery removed.

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Neither Rob nor myself could believe this at first, but his suggestion to try a magnet sealed it. I did have to use just one of the supplied magnets, because the S31 has only a very slightly magnetic attraction. When I tried two of the small magnets, their weight was enough to overcome the magnetism and they just slid off. Just be sure to use either one of the small recharging magnets, or one of similar size.

The S31 is also slightly less gray in color than Ti-6Al-4V. It would be hard to see the difference, though, unless you have them sitting side by side.

I cannot compliment Rob enough on how he's handled this. I couldn't believe it, nor could he. But there was my overweight Raw Ti saying otherwise. Neither of us would have been happy until we got it figured out.

Like I said earlier, Rob, I hate that this has happened, but I truly admire how you've handled both the investigation into the problem, and coming up with different solutions that offer everyone a fair deal that's acceptable to them. You're definitely one of the good guys!

Last edited:

bennytheblade

Newly Enlightened
A manufacturer that admits there wrong and then does the right thing.
How refreshing.
Thanks Rob.

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast
For everyone's reference (+/- 1 gm):

Internal components (board, sink, LED, & reflector) = 7-8 gms

Raw NS with no battery = 36 gms
Raw NS shells (top and bottom with internal components removed) = 28 gms

Raw SS with no battery = 35 gms
Raw SS shells = 28 gms

Raw Ti with no battery = 23 gms
Raw Ti shells = 15 gms

These might be off by 1 gm or so, depending on the accuracy of your scales. Also, the old and new Joker reflectors may not weigh same, but I doubt if it would be measureable on a scale with 1 gm accuracy.

Last edited:

WAVE_PARTICLE

Flashlight Enthusiast
Man....this is totally unacceptable. I can't believe a manufacturer can let something like this happen. I mean, seriously..... you had a RAW SS in the works and you are only telling us NOW?!??!? :tsk:

Paypal locked and loaded.

:grin2: WP

Last edited:

ouchmyfinger

Enlightened
yup, I got one of the lottery winners!
Raw SS (Raw S31?) without battery clocks in at 34.9g on my scale.

Hey Rob, can you tell us anything else about the steel?

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast
ouchmyfinger said:
yup, I got one of the lottery winners!
Raw SS (Raw S31?) without battery clocks in at 34.9g on my scale.

Hey Rob, can you tell us anything else about the steel?

I've been looking for info on it as well, but I haven't had much luck. I've seen references to it being used in valves and several references to it being very corrision resistant (marine environment?), but that's about all I've found, other than it being referenced as 316 S31. I'll look it up in our references at work tomorrow. I suspect that it's got a much higher thermal conductivity than Ti, but a lower specific heat (amount of energy in joules to raise the temp of 1 kg by 1°C). Meaning, it'll transfer heat better but it get's hotter quicker.

Last edited:

dmdrewitt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Rob

Without battery and spring, one magnet will stick to the battery case. I guess I have a SS one. (I just tried and 2, & 3 magnets will also stick)

I would like to take you up on the £100 Ti offer when they are made.

David

orb

Flashlight Enthusiast
WAVE_PARTICLE said:
Man....this is totally unacceptable. I can believe a manufacturer can let something like this happen. I mean, seriously..... you had a RAW SS in the works and you are only telling us NOW?!??!? :tsk:

Paypal locked and loaded.

:grin2: WP
You almost had me there WP. :thumbsup:
Big :thanks: for the kind coments Guys, This is a Massive blunder for me & glad of any support to make things right.

Ouchmyfinger, Do you know if you want to keep your Raw SS?
I'll find out as much as Possible about the S31 Tomorrow.

:thanks: again, so far for the intial kind Responce to this.
CPF is a :cool: place with Kind People :).

Isak Hawk

Enlightened
Well, I have the real Ti. No magnetism and light as a feather. Man, I kinda want that SS Raw now aswell. If Rob doesn't make any more of them they are going to be pretty rare...

ouchmyfinger

Enlightened
Rob, I'm not yet 100% sure but I think I will most likely keep it and pay you the 100pounds. Cause, uh, flashlights are more important than food.

I don't think I said this before, but you really are handling this in a very nice way - and I don't think anyone here blames you for what happened.

Cliffnopus

Enlightened
I just double checked mine and it's a "real" Ti NS, not one of the "Faux-Ti's" ...which on eBay are now going to be billed as "Rare".
grinser2.gif

Cliff

ps: Rob, great job in how you are handling this. You're to be commended....after you pass the course on "Ti Recognition 101" :laughing: :laughing:

RemingtonBPD

Enlightened
Hope you didn't get the DA confused with the SS...:lolsign:

Rob this certainly makes me even more happy to purchasing a light from you...definately a classy move...good people on here that's for sure.