UPDATED: Long runtime emergency light: Inova X1 (new) or Gerber Infinity Ultra?

fieldops

Flashlight Enthusiast
Updated new IU with CS....09-05-06

Results: 74 hours
(still enough light to navigate and read from 2 ft away....looks like more light and no runtime loss with the new Nichia)

UPDATED FINAL TEST RESULTS 07-29-06

Both lights are now finished in the series of tests.

RESULTS:

Runtime of 2 Inova X1 test lights (reflector): 38 hrs

Runtime of 2 Gerber Infinity Ulta's: 72 hrs

Conclusions:

The new design X1's performed nicely. I was somewhat surprised by the good runtimes achieved. Even at 38hrs, both lights were still usable. This runtime, combined with good form factor and robustness, definitely qualify it as a good survival light. Considering it's just 1 AA, you get great performance.
The clear winner of the runtime is the Gerber Infinity Ultra (IU). The IU gave outstanding performance and both lights were still usable after 72 hours. Clearly this re-enforces the fact the this light has long been considered a great survival light in the single AA class, here on CPF.

Anomalies observed during test period:

The first series of tests used e2 lithium AA batteries. Both sets of lights lasted longer on alkalines. Lithiums resulted in completely dead lights in 14 hours for the X1 and 16 hours for the IU. All lights remained brighter than alks for a longer time, but had shorter overall runtime. I am glad I found this out now. I also observed that both IU's actually got brighter at the 40 hour mark for 3-4 hours before resuming their slow decline of light emission.

These tests were not done for statistical accuracy. They were done using "observed brightness" against a third identical light with fresh batteries. I personally believe that we need to have these "observed brightness" tests in addition to the excellent light meter runtime graphs we see here on CPF. Why? because "observed brightness" is how we use lights for every day tasks. If you are looking for a great small light for survival/emergency usage, the IU may be the light for you. The X1 was a surprizingly good performer as well. Just remember to use alkaline batteries!

original 1st post:

In the single AA class, which light would you rather have for long runtime emergency usage: The Inova X1 (new type) or the Gerber Infinity Ultra?

Both lights seem to be closely matched. The X1's runtime to 50% is about 8.5 hours. The IU is around 11 hours. The output of the X1 is a bit brighter than the IU, but only modestly so. All this seems to bring the issue down to features, ease of use and build quality. Both lights appear to be built quite well. The IU is a tad shorter than the x1, but the Inova has the better momentary and L/O talcap. The reflector on the new X1 is certainly better than the IU and has a window mounted. Both lights are also within a 2-3 dollar price of each other. It is amazing how close these lights match up for the stated mission.

My impressions: At this point, I lean toward the X1 because it seems less blue tinted and is a bit brighter. I also like the X1's form factor. It fits in my hand better. I still love my 2 IU's, but would likely use the X1 for the reasons listed.

As I teach emergency preparedness for my local community,I have been asked by many about a small light for their emergency bags. I have recommended both (as a true CPFer), but have been asked which I'd choose if tasked. It is a tough choice between the two. I know there are other lights that could be used effectively, but I am keeping the argument to these 2 lights to stay focused.
What is your choice in a head to head matchup of these lights? and why?

p.s. I might get a chance try them out one on one as a tropical storm will hit us here tonight.....do I hear blackout? maybe! :laughing:

Last edited:

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Long runtime emergency light: Inova X1 (new) or Gerber Infinity Ultra?

Hard choice, both are good choices, I would go with the X1 but only because I like the Inovas and it "goes" with my other light choices. In other words it makes a nice matched set with either the X5, X0, or X03 if I so choose.

It is pretty much a tossup I think. Buy one and add a Lightwave 4000 or 3000 big light, and maybe a good LED headlamp (the handiest blackout light by far) somewhere to your emergency kit and you have a lot of runtime (up into the 100s of hours) and plenty of light for emergency use. At least that is the way I look at it having gone through numerous outage.

Hondo

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have both, and would choose the IU for sure. The clip makes an instant headlamp when clipped to a hat brim, and that is a big plus for utility. For me, the brightness is not an issue, as I mod the Gerbers right off with a Nichia CS, so same deal there, plus long runtime - a lot more than 11 hours usable, I would guess dozens of hours between the 25% and 50% mark for brightness, over 100 till dead. I also neutralize the reflector issue by polishing it when I mod, but that may not apply to the casual buyer. The tailcap thing I totally disagree. They don't advertise it, but I find the Gerber tailcap to be more reliable for momentary than the X1. And turning it out a turn sure does give lock-out. Now I must admit the ergonomics of the momentary are hurt by the shorter length, but were it longer, I would be less likely to have it when I need it, and it wouldn't fit on my hat brim.

Bottom line: If you can mod the LED, no brainer for the IU. Tie my hands on that option, and I would have to scratch my head a little more, as my stock LED's have been pretty far from my X1's for brightness, and WAY blue.

Hondo

WNG

Enlightened

Probably neither.

I own a new X1, and it's been eclipsed in my book by a 2AA host w/ a PR SMJLED.
Brighter, great color compared to the X1, and impressive runtime.

The Princeton Tec pocket Flare 2AA looks like the smallest, toughest host, IMHO.
If its reflector is compatible with a PR SMJLED, it'll be unbeatable as an emergency light.

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast

Unfortunately, he specifically asked about 1 AA lights, not 2 AA lights.

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast

I don't have the X1, only played with them at Target. I have 2 IUs tho that I really like. Personally, I would pick the IU (which I did since it's in my BOB) for the following reasons:

- I personally tested the IU to provide usable dark indoors navigation light for 5 days straight on a partially drained alkaline (more on a fresh alkaline), so I know the light's there if I need it.
- My IUs (both) seem to be as bright as my TM-313X, which is the same brightness (~7 lumens) as an Arc-P, so output is not a problem.
- I've read of issues with the X1 switch and that it sometimes requires pressing on the metal ring portion to make appropriate contact. The twist switch is more reliable and works as a momentary if needed. I have more assurance in the IU switch not failing or having issues/finickiness.
- I prefer the IU's broad and fairly even distribution of light. It's one of my favorite beams.
- Clip is useful to keep on my person (along with the hat use noted by Hondo).
- I prefer the smaller size and find it more aesthetically attractive (not an issue in an emergency, but...).

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic

My IU is an old style (pre-Gerber) so no tailcap issues. The new Gerber IU looks horrid!

My X1 is an old style "moonbeam" . My tailcap is flaky, but then I've torn it apart a couple times TRYING to undo the moonbeam.... my memory says it was somewhat flaky before I messed with it, but I can't say that for certain.

I do know this. I'd get the new X1 with reflector over the Gerber IU hands down!

Even if it doesn't run quite as long, a 4 pack of AA will go a looooooong way!

Paul6ppca

Flashlight Enthusiast

Also the davis 15 /coast is a AA that has claimed 12 hour runtime.Similar to the inova.The beam is much more flood than throw.

LightHearted

Enlightened

Can the Inova X1 run off of a lithium AA? Has anyone done this for an extened time without frying the LED? I'm considering this light and would love to be able to use it with lithium.

Thanks,
Ken

Fenris

Enlightened

I've went thru a few lithiums and so far my X1 still works just fine.

Lite_me

Flashlight Enthusiast

LightHearted said:
Can the Inova X1 run off of a lithium AA? Has anyone done this for an extened time without frying the LED? I'm considering this light and would love to be able to use it with lithium.

Thanks,
Ken
I've been running a Lithium in my X1 for a couple of months now. No problems so far. I've read in another thread somewhere that a few others have used them without problems. (Don't know if they'll chime in.)

LightHearted

Enlightened

Lite_me said:
I've been running a Lithium in my X1 for a couple of months now. No problems so far. I've read in another thread somewhere that a few others have used them without problems. (Don't know if they'll chime in.)

Is the X1 any brighter with lithiums than with primaries?

phosphor

Enlightened

Tough call.......I go with the IU since I have an older CMG/County Comm model. It's threaded onto my key chain; while it strains the upper limits of "size factor" issues for key chain carry, with a lithium installed its light enough. I too like the clip on the IU, that when attached to the bill of a ball cap will instantly transform the little light into a head lamp of sorts. The light given off is ample for close quarters navigation.....although for "wall hunters" its much too cool blue. That said, if I were to "pocket carry" between the two I'd probably go with the Inova. No bad choices here in this contest.

-Regards

Last edited:

lightningbug

Newly Enlightened

I love the spill of the IU. Its incredibly useful for most activities including camping, fishing, hunting, auto repair, navigation, and of course close quarter work such as computer repair and crawling under the sink for that annoying leak. Fantastic for emergencies too.

I don't own an X1, but I assume its better at tail standing than the Gerber. I have 2 Gerbers and 2 CMG originals and use a plastic medicine bottle to stand them for candle mode.

I might suggest another AA light with a .5 watt, and that's the Advancemart "Twisty". It puts out about the same amount of overall light as the Gerber, but has some throw as well as good spill. I'm quite pleased with mine, and haven't checked the real world runtime, but I assume its pretty good. Overall think of it as an Infinty Ultra with a hotspot. I think they're still less than $12.

You might consider the Gerber Sonic as well. I know you asked about AA, and the Sonic is AAA, but it produces a very similar beam to the IU, but is smaller.

Last edited:

fieldops

Flashlight Enthusiast

Great comments overall. I don't remember seeing any long runtime testing being done on the X1 and IU, at least not after 10 hours or so. I think that data would be interesting.

lightningbug

Newly Enlightened

fieldops said:
Great comments overall. I don't remember seeing any long runtime testing being done on the X1 and IU, at least not after 10 hours or so. I think that data would be interesting.

Someone here did a runtime test on an IU, and got something like 137 hours out of it.

Lite_me

Flashlight Enthusiast

LightHearted said:
Is the X1 any brighter with lithiums than with primaries?
Aah well... a Lithium is also categorized as a primary, no? But yes, it's just a wee bit brighter.

LightHearted

Enlightened

Lite_me said:
Aah well... a Lithium is also categorized as a primary, no? But yes, it's just a wee bit brighter.

Thank you. That's right. Lithium AAs are indeed primaries. I guess I was so used to thinking about Li-ions since that's all I use in my Q3. My CMG Infinity Ultra is significantly brighter with a lithium AA. I guess if the X1 is just a little bit brighter, it porbably has a much longer run time then.

Thanks,
Ken

Lit Up

Flashlight Enthusiast

WNG said:
Probably neither.

The Princeton Tec pocket Flare 2AA looks like the smallest, toughest host, IMHO.
If its reflector is compatible with a PR SMJLED, it'll be unbeatable as an emergency light.

Going to find out the answer to that today, myself. :)

I know were trying to keep a focus going here, but if emergency preparedness is part of that focus and these people are wanting some solid advice, it's gonna be REAL hard trying to beat a PR SMJLED in a good host.

I'd personally hate to be stuck with a Gerber Infinity after 11 hours at 50%; it's dim enough at 100%.
Especially when I have a PR SMJLED-based 2xAA that already has over 17 hours and still ticking right along.
And with a princeton-tec host, you have floods certainly covered.

watt4

Enlightened

if it's for long-runtime emergency use, why is tint a factor?