LED Car setup, Angel Eyes

poldim

Newly Enlightened
I'm trying to create something similar to the item shown here:

211.jpg

Does anyone know what these LEDs are?
What are the items labeled 111? SMD Resistors?

I want to use the Luxeon K2 LEDs. I now need to figure out how to efficiently power the LED's and how many of them I can have.

Below are pictures of the factory angel eye setup:
custom_angel_eye_1.jpg

custom_angel_eye_2.jpg

custom_angel_eye_3.jpg

custom_angel_eye_4.jpg

custom_angel_eye_5.jpg

The bulb shinse into the two fiber rods seen in the second picture.
What this LED setup needs to do is focus its light into those rods.

Options:
1) If there wont be any heating problems, two K2's next to each other, one focused at each end of the rod.

2) If two K2's are two hot, then it would be 1 K2 centered between the two rod ends.

Currently I'm looking for alternatives to the LuxDrive BuckPuck 1000mA DC LED Driver. The one I've found is Triad Magnetics 26W 2-36V 1000mA.

Any suggestions, help, comments, etc?

AngelEyes

Newly Enlightened
LEDs have been used before and they were not bright enough to make them stand out. But then again i dont know what sort of LEDs they used. This was by DIY fella i read about a few years ago. The latest fad now is using CCFL for the Angel Eyes (which is what i have now - and yes, i love them!). Good luck.

poldim

Newly Enlightened
AngelEyes said:
LEDs have been used before and they were not bright enough to make them stand out. But then again i dont know what sort of LEDs they used. This was by DIY fella i read about a few years ago. The latest fad now is using CCFL for the Angel Eyes (which is what i have now - and yes, i love them!). Good luck.

I've seen some CCFLs on older E36 M3. They deffinetly look nice but require disassembly of the headlight which I'm not willing to do.

Most of the basic LED attempts just involve basic LED's and nothing like the K2's. I've tried the simple 5 and 10mm LED approach and wasnt satisfied with it.

Images of the lights from above:

stock vs kit:
90EX001-al.jpg

kit:
340.jpg

poldim

Newly Enlightened
modamag said:
The LED is a Cree XLamp 7090, suppose to be one of the most efficient high power LED.

Thanks!

Do you know what the "111" is?

If you conside the car V = 12.5 V and I = 1.0 A, then the 111 could be a 11.1 ohms for resistance. But they have 2x 111 per LED in series. Doesnt make sense.

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
first and second numbers are the value.
third is the number of zeroes that follow.
111=110 ohms.

reefphilic

Enlightened
This is what I've done a few years ago. Not a fan of BMW and not trying to imitate one. I build it because it lights up and it uses LEDs! :grin2: It is "surprisingly" bright considering that it uses LEDs.

headlight3.jpg

Last edited:

poldim

Newly Enlightened
snakebite said:
first and second numbers are the value.
third is the number of zeroes that follow.
111=110 ohms.

Thanks!

Does it make sense for the Cree to require 220 ohms to operate?

GreySave

Enlightened
Please everyone.....be sure to check your local and state regulations before investing in and attempting modifications to your vehicle's lighting. Here in Pennsylvania the type of modification being discussed would most likely earn you a rejected PA State Inspection and a potential traffic citation as a violation of the motor vehicle code if you happen to run across a police officer who is having a bad day or who simply dislikes such modifications. If they are a violation they can also be used as a legitimate reason to initiate a traffic stop if you look a little "shady."

In addition, the vehicle manufacturer may decline to cover any modified parts under warranty even if the failure was not directly caused by whatever you changed, and lamp assemblies can be VERY expensive.

Alan
25+ years at a large GM Dealership

poldim

Newly Enlightened
GreySave said:
Please everyone.....be sure to check your local and state regulations before investing in and attempting modifications to your vehicle's lighting. Here in Pennsylvania the type of modification being discussed would most likely earn you a rejected PA State Inspection and a potential traffic citation as a violation of the motor vehicle code if you happen to run across a police officer who is having a bad day or who simply dislikes such modifications. If they are a violation they can also be used as a legitimate reason to initiate a traffic stop if you look a little "shady."

In addition, the vehicle manufacturer may decline to cover any modified parts under warranty even if the failure was not directly caused by whatever you changed, and lamp assemblies can be VERY expensive.

Alan
25+ years at a large GM Dealership

A cop can stop you for 1001 reasons if he really needs to make one up and use it, he can. I know cops that have and continue to do this.

In the US, consumers are protected by the Moss Magnussen act which states that a warranty is only voided if the warranty provider (Manufacturer) can prove beyond a reasonable doubt that a modification or aftermarket part caused the warranty issue at hand.

Vbeez

Enlightened
Simply use EL wires, not as bright as led or cfl but much simpler in installing them.