Newbie Question....

Aiki1

Newly Enlightened
Hi everybody - I'm new to this whole thing, and starting out by trying to buy a simple inexpensive "home laser show" that has some ability to manipulate the patterns etc.... does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks.

Aiki1

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the replys - I wish I had some skill or experience in basic electronics but I don't.... that looks like a fun kit....

Is it easy to replace the laser in an inexpensive unit with a slightly more powerful one?

Thanks.

Aiki1

Newly Enlightened
Very cool. anyone know if simple units like the Laser Widow are any good, and give you any control over the patters etc.?

jkaiser3000

Enlightened
The laser widow is basically two motors with mirrors attached, with the benefit of having some sort of sound activated electronics, so the patterns change to the beat of music. The thing is, you, as the user, don't have acces to the patterns generated (I think). Also, it only produces spirograph-like petterns. But, for the price you can't go wrong.

In the end, you can also change the laser that comes with it with your own, so you end with a higher powered, green laser show :naughty:.

Aiki1

Newly Enlightened
Ah - thanks - I think I'll get one or something like it and tinker - how do these things stay on for long periods of time without burning out - APC or something? Any idea what you can replace the lasers with - are they just a little module like in a pointer?

Thanks everyone for your input.

jkaiser3000

Enlightened
these things usually have 5mw lasers inside, no problems running indefintely. You can use any green pointer for this too, as long as you find a way of powering it from the internal power supply and, proper cooling if needed. You may want to take the laser module from the pointer's case, but that's not necesary, just put a rubber band across the pointer's button and place the wires into the battery compartment.

My thoughts.

emrbrtn

Enlightened
allthatwhichis said:
I have been "Watching" this in My eBay for a while. I just haven't gotten the nerve up to buy it and try it out...

I'm probably going to end up ordering it soon. It actually looks pretty good.

allthatwhichis

Enlightened
jkaiser3000 said:
Try this one. Looks interesting and easy to build, is software driven and has audio modulation too. All for 99$ :naughty:

I'm waiting on a review from ajohnson for that kit. I think he just got it. He posted here about, but I haven't gotten to read it yet. It doesn't look good though... :awman:

Aiki1

Newly Enlightened
Well I bought a LaserPod, anyone familiar with those? Nothing special at all. If i could get in there and replace the laser(s?) with a bit more power, it would be cool because the glass refractor it comes with makes cool patterns when held a bit away from the unit - but they're not as bright that way, need to be brighter.... but it's too tight inside and I don't really have the skill anyway. I ordered a little laser show from x-tremegeek.com as well, supposedly has a bit of control when in Manual mode....whoi knows....

I remember reading someone here replaced the laser in a Laser Widow? with something more powerful but I can't remember where the post was or the site....???

Aiki1

Newly Enlightened
Ah, thanks. Do you recall if the Laser Widow had any controls on it or was it just automatic or sound activated?

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I have the Laser Widow right here...let's take a look at it...BBS...

There is a pot to adjust "auto speed", two pots to adjust "manual speed", and a switch to select manual, auto, and music (presumably the sound-sensitive mode).

"Auto" just displays preset patterns, with the pattern changing at the rate defined by the "auto speed" pot.

"Manual" allows you to change the patterns at will by turning the "manual speed" pots; ajusting the speed and direction of the X and Y motors.

Aiki1

Newly Enlightened
Great, thanks.

I just want to say that I really appreciate how nice everyone is here.