Olympia Products
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DIY TriLux3 Li-ion Bikelight

Default Re: DIY TriLux3 Li-ion Bikelight

RS now stock Cree XRE white LEDs. I'll post the part no tomorrow as I have it at work.
    They also stock Optics for Cree XRE, spot, flood and something else, all 27mm dia, again I have all the part nos at work.

Here we go then:
    Cree 7090XR-E, cool white 75º 100 lm Part no 220-835
    Cree spot optic 27mm dia Part no 645-2182
    RS give no details of the bin. I found RS to be a bit of a lottery when I ordered Lux III Leds, never the same bin twice, anything from TWOH to UWAJ.

Very clean build. How well does this setup dissipate the heat?

Unenlightened

It dissipates heat pretty well I find. I mean, the case gets hot quickly which is good as it means the LEDs are well thermally attached to the case, but when moving, air cooling does noticeably reduce the case temperature. the copper does its job

Would the runtime be the same if I used NiMH 7.2V 2500mAH????

Konrad! excellent work, i like copper, its easy to work you can solder it and as you say it conducts heat REALLY good
    but ......how about bonding the led direct onto the bars to dissipate the heat ??? (your next project eh lol )

Quote Originally Posted by mrbubbles View Post
    Would the runtime be the same if I used NiMH 7.2V 2500mAH????
    same ?? it`s gonna be marginally better !!!(versus 7.2V 2400maH Li-Ion battery)
    ............. Regards, HENDO

another option for reducing heat are RC heat sinks-
    i believe that this one:

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXHHN6&P=6

should fit perfectly around copper end caps. Might need some modification to accommodate the middle emitter.

OK all you brilliant minds out there, I have been reading about all the fun you have been having putting all these lights together and I want to get in on it. I have some electrical knowledge but all this LED stuff is new to me such as bin numbers, forward voltage and such. I love KonradC’s copper set up but would like to try a double version using CreeQ5s to replace my 20W halogen homebuilt for road use.

I am thinking one spot and one wide.

Using Cutter’s web page I see I have a choice of WH Soft White, WG Cold White or WC Cold White. What are the differences or what would be best for a bike light?

Cutter shows Carclo lenses for Cree so probably will go with:
    (1) 10199 Carclo Lens, 20mm Optic designed for the Cree XR and XR-E, beam angle of 8.4 degree
    (1) 10201 Carclo Lens, 20mm Optic designed for the Cree XR and XR-E, beam typical half angle divergence of 20 Deg
    Does half angle mean 40 total? I think I only want 20 total.

Is there a USA web based supplier for these? I looked at DealExtreme but find them frustrating. I do not see 22mm optics for the Cree. There is a 10 pack of 20 mm but no angle description or designation for LED (I understand optics are designed for specific LEDs). And they only list the Q5 WG Cree which is fine if that is what I want.

The Task Fatman driver at .8 inch dia fits into the 22 mm copper cap and what KonradC used. I could go to the bflex at 1 inch dia (or the new UIB2 when when it becomes available) and would fit into the next size up copper cap which I could mount behind the two 22 mm caps.

Does this make sense. Does anyone see flaws.

I am excited to try modding.
    David

Unenlightened

Hi to all!

By any chance is it possible to reupload the photos of the project?

Thanks in advance,
    P

OP has not been active on CPF proper since 2007.

Bill

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12