The new Arc-LS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
As you know, I have already announced that I am working on a new version of the Arc-LS. This thread will hopefully organize information that formally was spread among several threads.

The History

The CPF has changed a lot since I originally joined. So, for the really new people:

I designed the Arc product line and started the Arc company. I came up with the name, "Arc" because its short and the hue of early white LEDs reminded me of an electric arc welder.

Like all natural things, there have been easy/hard times in the history of this endeavor. You can read more about the company from the FAQ, wiki, this forum, etc.

Arc Design

As should be evident from our various products, Arc designs tend to favor:

- Utility first
- Minimalist aesthetics
- Mission driven features (types of cell, size, brightness class, etc)
- Utility, customer service, price. Pick two.
- Niche market only

The new Arc-LS

The Arc-LS series was the first flashlight on the market to use a, "high power" LED. First introduced in 2001, it has evolved over several years through various names, features, etc. Each time, getting brighter and most of the time- more useful. You can read about previous generations in the FAQ.

The latest version currently in development will continue this trend. Brighter, smaller, longer run times, easier to upgrade with the latest LEDs, easier to use, more durable, etc.

I do not plan on announcing the price, delivery and other specifications until the development is done. When will that be? Well, research is not always an orderly thing. It is the nature of discovery for it to be somewhat surprising. The project may be done next year, it may not.

I realize some people may not know what a typical (newer) LS series looks like:

- 1x123 cell is the primary power source
- high power LED of some sort
- designed for "EDC Pocket" mission
- usually quite expensive
- durable construction
- multiple output levels

--

Here's the latest progress:

btw, I wrote this with the assumption that our competitors read my posts the most closely.

The prototypes are in their 6th revision. Although the prototypes may look like production lights, there is still a lot to be done. The LED I want to use has been delayed by the manufacturer. In the meantime, I have been working on refining the driver and mechanicals.

You have heard the saying, "you don't plan for the last war, you plan for the next war."

The driver electronics have exceeded the original project goals. Refinements left to do include smoothing out some of the functions, finishing the user interface and automatic functions firmware, adding features to the windows application, etc. This driver is designed to work with a wide variety of LEDs: both those presently available and those yet to come. This is an important feature to me since I believe that the rate of LED improvements will increase. We might see LEDs doubling in brightness every 12 months. I would love to be able to provide an LED upgrade for less than $50. Making upgrades easier would cost us sales only if everyone only bought from us. But that is not how a real market works. This strategy, if it works, will increase our sales while reducing the cost to the consumer and most importantly, take advantage of the latest technologies.

The mechanicals are mostly done but there are a few rough edges. I also am not done making changes to the optical section, the new LED has a lot to do with that tweaking. It currently works with LEDs available now. I have been using those to test the other functions. I can say true 60 lumen is not a problem with the currently available LEDs.

Full power is temperature protected of course. That keeps the LED from being "over driven". The driver can be programmed to protect new LED types if needed. Even though a new led comes out that is x brighter, if you are like me, there is no such thing as a bright enough max power setting. Oh sure, there is such a thing as a, "prudent" level of illumination for a given task, but never arbitrarily cap the maximum power available to the user. We will still want to drive it at the highest possible power while safeguarding its temperature. The battery is usually the weak link, of course those are getting more powerfull as well.

Btw, since this is a single cell Lithium light, it requires less babysiting than multi-cell lights.

The windows interface application is stable and I am glad I have it. I find it very useful for testing the light. If time permits, it would be nice to add more features to the application and make it available to the mod community. I have been cautioned that this would make us more of a software company than a flashlight company with tech support issues and all. Since this interface is sufficiently low level enough to enable a modder to make changes that could damage the hardware, if we did offer it, it would be done with a disclaimer of any resulting damages.

The irony is, this light is more sophisticated than any previous LS but as easy or easier to use.

Yesterday, I invited a small group of local CPF'ers to preview the LS prototypes. I also gave them a quick tour of the windows app and some of the accessories. I had a lot of fun. They can tell you the light is small, bright and easy to use. Easier to use, brighter and smaller than the previous LS (Arc4).

That's it for now. This thread should be used for future discussions of the new LS so as to keep things more organized. Thank you.

Peter

edit: typos

Last edited:

diggdug13

Flashlight Enthusiast
Peter,

sweet!!! I can't wait to see the updates and release date, my bank account is gonna hate you!

doug

mosport

Enlightened
Thanks for the update Peter,

The original ARC LS series was before my time here on CPF, so I'm anxious to see what else the future holds!

Derek

ouchmyfinger

Enlightened
awesome awesome news.

About the software, please consider making it unsupported and open source, or at least document the protocol it uses to control the light. A community like CPF has plenty of people with the skills to help maintain it, and you may be surprised how many people who have never heard of CPF will be interested in helping out.

So a new mystery LED, exciting. I'm going to guess its a Luxeon since you are using the moniker 'Arc LS' still.

Last edited:

carrot

Flashaholic
I hope you consider that some of us don't use Windows... will the new Arc LS be fully usable out of the box without needing to connect to the computer? And do you plan to add support for OSX/Linux?

ledvador

Newly Enlightened
That's a great news Peter, hope to see some pict or CAD drawing soon.
For sure, i'm in for this light.
I wonder if this new LS will be able to drive a K2 emiter and how mutch easy it will be to swap the LED?

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
Way cool, Peter. As I collect more ARCs I have come to appreciate what a pioneer they were in all fields. I have no doubt the new ARC LS (I get such a buzz out of typing that!!) will exceed all that have gone before and all other flashlights that are available currently.

All power to your elbow.

I'm up for two! (Any plans on a cyan version??)

Be lucky...

dtsoll

Enlightened
Okay, will the real "local cpfers please stand up". Can't wait to hear what they have to say!! Thanks for the update!!! Doug:)

ruledpaper

Newly Enlightened
carrot said:
I hope you consider that some of us don't use Windows... will the new Arc LS be fully usable out of the box without needing to connect to the computer? And do you plan to add support for OSX/Linux?

I second that motion.

Status
Not open for further replies.