My little 10Watt HID MONSTER

Ra

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi guyz, its me again...

Here another project I completed a short while ago:

lengthdi0.jpg

Its a very powerfull 10watt mini HID torch: 250,000 peak beam CP. Its waterresistand up to depths of 200 ft. Has +2 hours of burntime on one charge.

reflectorhz6.jpg

The reflector is made from an used projector-bulb: This perfect parabolic dichoric (cold) reflector is capable of withstanding extreme temperatures and has more than 98% overall reflection.

The green ring has a little magnet embedded, switching a reed-switch inside the torch. This reed triggers two 2amp power relays placed in the reflector-compartment: A highly durable, most waterresistand solution.

I removed the protective bulb from the Solarc 10watt HID lamp to gain a few % of lumens and to prevent "optical arc dissplacement"

The lamp is cemented very exactly in the reflector to obtain a nearly perfect beampattern with a 250,000 Cp hotspot in the middle:

cppattern10whidag9.jpg

The inside is quite simple: Using three 2.4Ah 18650 Li-Ion cells. Each cell has its own connector at the back of the torch.

dsc04766ty5.jpg

The inside temperature is kept well within specs by the large heatsink at the outside of the lamphead: its completely surrounding the ballast. The inside temp. doesn't rise more than 15 deg. centigrade above the environment-temp. during continous operation.

The high-candlepower hotspot in the center of the beam is created by a very small hotspot in the arc near the anode:

arcintensity800defyi4.jpg

The surface brightness of this hotspot is several times higher than the mean surface brightness of the entire arc.

To successfully concentrate the light of this hotspot you need a perfect parabolic reflector. And you need to remove the protective bulb which causes an optical effect that makes parabolic reflectors useless for this purpose!

The front window it a multilayer coated quartz window 4mm thick, hardly visible on the pics due to its high transmission: 99.3%!

All this adds up: 98% reflective reflector, removed protective bulb, overdriven lamp and 99.3% transmitting window: Making most torchlumens out of bulblumens.

Wanna know more, ask me!

Last edited:

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast
envy.gif

Very, very nice. Did you make the body from scratch or start with salvaged parts from something else?

Ra

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks guyz,

I totally designed the torch myself, a highly skilled friend of mine helped machining the black annodized aluminum parts.

Ra

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep, a ping-pong ball, with hair (as much hair as I have), two eyes, a nose and a mouth.. Its to give a better impression of the size of the torch.

zelda

Enlightened
Wow thats a nice torch! :bow:

Today, most beamerlamps have a Rectangular reflector :shakehead

Good idea with a reed-switch.

zelda

Ra

Flashlight Enthusiast
Zelda said:

"Today, most beamerlamps have a Rectangular reflector"

Yes, thats a problem making torches like these, you'll have to bump onto a nice, usable reflector. BTW this was a rectangular reflector, but it was much larger. I machined it down, losing the rectangular part. Its from a Hitachi CP-X960 projector lamp.

Last edited:

Ra

Flashlight Enthusiast
Be strong Jeff,

I see you already have too many lights.

Do you have any idea of the time I need to make one of these ?? I don't want to dissapoint other torchlovers, but its not likely I'm going to produce these torches, I simply don't have the time.

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll bet if you sat down and added all the money you have wrapped up in this light, it would scare even you. Remember you have to account for all your time and labor and your friend's time and labor at reasonable rates for engineering design and production. You also have to throw in the cost of machine time. All of this is on top of all material costs, including the stuff that had to be thrown away.

I know these projects tend to take on a life of their own. I'm glad yours turned out so well. It's a fantastic job.

Gary

Newly Enlightened
Now, this is a very tempting thing.
Where would one get the necessary componants...?
Thanks!
-Gary