Need help identifying a couple of tools (bigish pics)

Robban

Enlightened
My father found these lying around but he was unable to identify them. Any ideas? If you need higher res pics just ask.
Tool #1:
The different parts can be screwed together except the piece on the left. The label states that it was made in Eskilstuna here in Sweden and I assume the two names listed is the names of the owner and the one who made it.
tool101wi2.jpg

If you "unscrew" the left part of this thing a second scale is visible underneath.
tool102hb9.jpg

tool103py9.jpg

Tool #2:
tool202du5.jpg

There are spare (?) needles in the box
tool201jv1.jpg

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow. My initial impression is that it is some type of gauge or jack (pusher) for machine work.......

Very interesting.

SolarFlare

Enlightened
Does it say Bahco on the piece in the fifth pic? I've used a lot of their tools in forestry, my guess is it's a wood density penetrometer, that's if it says bahco of course :laughing: If not I haven't got a clue :thinking:

Robban

Enlightened
SolarFlare said:
Does it say Bahco on the piece in the fifth pic? I've used a lot of their tools in forestry, my guess is it's a wood density penetrometer, that's if it says bahco of course :laughing: If not I haven't got a clue :thinking:
It sure looks like it says that. Unfortunately I don't have them handy right now to check physically but I cropped the pic harder and blew it up slightly. Stupid of me not to take better pics of the markings...:

tool203gc7.jpg

tool204nb5.jpg

Next up: google->wood density penetrometer :)

MoonRise

Enlightened
Go to www.bahco.com and look around.

Off-hand, Tool #2 looks more like a metal-workers tool called an "edge-finder" or "wiggler". Specifically, with the tapered shank and notched end, it looks like a edge-finding wiggler for a milling machine. The 'chuck' end looks like you can replace the needle when/if you want to.

see http://www.littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=2278 for a wiggler.

Tool #1 reminds me of an ID micrometer with a BIG handle. Pics of the markings would probably help figure it out. Pic #2 sure looks like a micrometer head to me.

Last edited:

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
The first one is some sort of measuring device. The second pic shows a micrometer thimble, so that's clear at least. I'm assuming it mounts onto something else to measure whatever it's for. Maybe some kind of depth guage. In addition to being a common name, Johansson was also a famous maker of precision metalworking guages and tools.

The second one is some form of wiggler. It has a Morse Taper shank for mounting in a milling machine or lathe tailstock.

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
Yup, tool 2 is a wiggler, used in drills and mills to find the center or edge of things. The tapered shaft fits into the spindle in place of a chuck.

I was thinking the first tool might be a spreader of some sort with a micrometer to let you know when to stop.

Daniel

scott.cr

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is a tool set for boring engine cylinders. I'm not precisely sure the wiggler is part of this set, but the micrometer thimble thingy is used to measure the ID of the cylinder. You attach the thimble to the long shaft via the clamp in order to measure the cylinder's ID along its full length. (This is how you check for taper and so on.)

I think you can also screw a micrometer thimble into the end of the long shaft axially to take depth measurements of pushrod holes or index the throws of the crankshaft or something. It would probably only be good for relative measurements, but check the shaft to see if its precise length is engraved on it somewhere. If it's not engraved you can get the set calibrated, where the calibrator will reset the micrometer thimbles so that the length of the shaft plus micrometer is a known length.

scott.cr

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is a tool set for measuring engine cylinder IDs. I'm not precisely sure the wiggler is part of this set, but the micrometer thimble thingy is used to measure the ID of the cylinder. You attach the thimble to the long shaft via the clamp in order to measure the cylinder's ID along its full length. (This is how you check for taper and so on.)

I think you can also screw a micrometer thimble into the end of the long shaft axially to take depth measurements of pushrod holes or index the throws of the crankshaft or something. It would probably only be good for relative measurements, but check the shaft to see if its precise length is engraved on it somewhere. If it's not engraved you can get the set calibrated, where the calibrator will reset the micrometer thimbles so that the length of the shaft plus micrometer is a known length.