Production Helios is Here!

Ken J. Good

Enlightened
Okay,

I have been anxious awaiting the production version of the Polarion Helios 40W HID spotlight. Just walked into the hotel and picked up an overnight FedEx package.

I am very, very, very happy, excited, pleased with the way this light turned out!

I have the integrated handle version, with the straight bodied version to follow in approx. 3 weeks. I am told the straight-bodied version will be even a bit more sleek/trim in the body diameter.

First thing I noticed, very balanced, when carried with the handle or just cradled in the palm.

The thing looks awesome just sitting there. My initial photography just does not do it justice. Apologize in advance for the poor images. I have to get back to some training with are doing with a Special Boat Team, so I can just give you some snap shots.

The handle has some integrated stanchions to keep it level on a flat surface. Nice touch. The handle has a lanyard attachment hole just as the handle meets the body. Production version are supposed to have a forward shoulder strap attchment point that will snap into the cooling fins area.

The rotating ON/OFF switch is perfect in terms of tension. You can rotate it either way to activate or de-activate the light.

When you turn the light on and look at the rear tailcap, you can check the status of the battery in terms of charge through a translucent plastic that reveals the 5 green LED's embedded in the cylindrical battery that effortlessly slides into the light body. The battery is removed or replaced by removing the rear tail cap.

Also you will notice the connection point for the soon-to-follow cradle charger.

For now, you remove the battery and connect it to the AC charger.

DC charger will be available as an accessory.

I took a picture of the Helios right next to a Night-Ops Gladius Light for size comparison. The Gladius is a 6-volt, two CR123A battery tactical light that is 6.23" in length.

Oh yes....the output on this is thing is AWESOME. I will let the HID reviewers come to their own conclusions on head-to-head testing. This thing will no doubt rise to the top of the charts, of that I am confident.

More to follow, for now I have to go.

Profile.jpg

Held-by-Handle.jpg

Held-by-Body.jpg

Magnetic-Switch.jpg

Stanchions.jpg

Green-LEDs.jpg

Size-Comparison.jpg

Respectfully,

Ken J. Good
http://polarion-store.com

Last edited:

Steve77

Newly Enlightened
:wow: That looks quite impressive Ken. I'm really starting to regret not getting in on one. Can't wait till Curtis and the others that ordered one get their's so I can hear what I'm missing.

It looks outstanding.:goodjob:

cue003

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ken man. That is sweet. Couple of questions:

* can the light be turned on with one hand? Or do you need to use 2?

* for the none handled version, is there some sort of "anti-roll" that you know of... or will the stapping on points stop the roll when the shoulder straps are connected?

* how long is the startup time to full brightness?

* Does the beam have many artifacts?

* pictures look great... they look black and white. hmmm. Can we get some color shots?

I am now leaning more to going with the no-handle version. 3 weeks... no worries. I can wait 3 more weeks for this bad boy. It is also sleeker that is just awesome. Can't wait to see those photos when that model shows up to make final decision on which way to go. Seeing them side by side may very well be all that is needed to seal the deal.

Curtis

Last edited:

nrm

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Ken - this looks great! :goodjob:

I believe I'm one of the early purchaser's and it looks like the first production model will be fine for me.

Any idea when the first shipments will go out?

Lips

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ken

Looks great! Very Small package...

If you are interested I'd like to shoot it out against the RayzorLite/Beam and the X990, Thor 15 and Harbor Freight HID.

Ken J. Good

Enlightened
* can the light be turned on with one hand? Or do you need to use 2?
When holding the handle it can be done 1-handed by using the thumb. A bit awkward, but can to done with practice fairly easily.

When holding the body, very easily.

* for the none handled version, is there some sort of "anti-roll" that you know of... or will the stapping on points stop the roll when the shoulder straps are connected?
I have not seen the no-handled version yet & do not know the exact configuration.

It has been a bit of a moving target as incremental improvements or mods "appear".

* how long is the startup time to full brightness?
From a cold start – Approx 6-7 seconds. That being said, the initial output it still very strong.
From a re-strike, full brightness is immediate.

* Does the beam have many artifacts?
Nope…Very clean.

* pictures look great... they look black and white. hmmm. Can we get some color shots?
Yes, I will get much more photography online as time permits.

Ken J. Good

ianb

Enlightened
That looks really nice, its great to see another nice HID come to market. I only wish I had some $'s to grossly overpay someone for their order :sold: :D

I look forward to beamshots and comparisons :drool:

Ian

Ken J. Good

Enlightened
Hard Ano is the finish.

I should be getting some other colors/finishes shortly.

When I get them, I will post the details/pics.

Ken J. Good

cue003

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice. I am looking forward to the other color/finishes. This is turning out to be way better than I had expected. All the finishes and stuff is great but really at the end of the day the things that matter the most are the ergos and the performance of the unit. If the other finishes aren't hard ano, then I can guarantee I won't be switching. :)

Curtis

MorpheusT1

Flashlight Enthusiast
:D

Sweet!

When is the Groupbuy :D

Is the special CPF Preorder price still working or will there be a Groupbuy of this light any time soon?

This is going to be a Beast Killer for sure,cant wait to order one.

Benny

Ken J. Good

Enlightened
In order to honor the orginial offer of a Group Buy for CPF's please see: http://polarion-store.com

Xousia Systems Group is the official U.S. Distributor of the Polarion Helios.

If you want to take advantage of a pre-production / pre-order discount, you can enter "CPFHelios" as a discount coupon during the check out procedure.

It is now $295 off the MSRP.

It was orginally stated you must pre-purchase by July 1st. It is now July 31st.

The discount code will be kept open until August 15th, 2006 then the discount will be no longer available.

Last edited:

MorpheusT1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ken J. Good said:
In order to honor the orginial offer of a Group Buy for CPF's please see: http://polarion-store.com

Xousia Systems Group is the official U.S. Distributor of the Polarion Helios.

If you want to take advantage of a pre-production / pre-order discount, you can enter "CPFHELIOS" as a discount coupon during the check out procedure.

Thanks for the info:

Which version does this group buy include,the handle type or the one
without the handle.
Edit: Found the info i was looking for :)

This is going to be the most expensive light i have ever bought. :ohgeez:

I would prefer the Version without the handle.
If i wait will the CPF price still stand?

Would be great to see some kind of review on it before i pack my bags and
say goodbye to the wife :D

I want one :sold:

Benny

Last edited:

MorpheusT1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just tryed the CPF Coupon and only got 295 USD Off,not that thats bad.But i thought it was 395 off for CPF.

Im not ordering one now,just playing with the idea still.

I`ll wait for some more pictures and reviews before i make my commitment.

Thanks for offering this light and great dicount for us.
Benny

Ken J. Good

Enlightened
Not to be rude, but I have had the CPF coupon for Pre-Orders available for quite some time.

I have tried to accomodate folks with timely information as it became available.

I also threw in a Pelican case for CPF's that PRE-ORDERed.

I even extended that offer beyond what I said I was going to offer. That offer is expired.

Then I extened another discount for CPF's, but not at same pre-order discount level.

If you order a light now with or without a handle (the price is the same), you can take advantage of the current $295 discount on the light only for a couple more weeks. After that, the light will be sold at MSRP.

If that is not accceptable, I understand but I cannot create a sustainable disutribution system if I undercut those that step up to the plate to offer this light around the country and ultimately the globe.

Best to everybody.

Respectfully,

Ken J. Good

MorpheusT1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I did not mean to sound like a spoiled brat ;)
I just mentioned this because you stated a 395 discount and never mentioned that it went down to 295,i see you have edited your post now.

None of that matters though,if i want the light i will buy it at whatever cost.

Thank you for beeing such a great contributer to CPF and for getting us a
300 dollar discount and throwing in a 100 dollar + Pelican Case!!

How much will shipping be to Norway?

Thanks,
Benny