Angryfox        
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Production Helios is Here!

Default Re: Production Helios is Here!

I did some direct head-to-head beam comparisons this week at 300 yards in terms of the X990 and the Helios.

There was a very high level of humidity so both lights were limited in their long-range penetration due to the moisture/light scatter.

The X990 definitely holds it own depending on how you focus the beam.
    I think it is excellent value in terms of bang for the buck.

The X990 is noticealby heavier and bulker to carry.
    I don't believe it has the water-proof capability of the Helios.

At closer ranges the beam quality on the Polarion was noticeably cleaner.

To be perfectly honest, I cannot tell you what the long-term battery differentials are.

I am going to have to a bit more due diligence on that, but I am sure there are folks here that can immediately chime in on that.

Better, more power....It is ALWAYS the quest for me. If the Helios holds it own the market and generates the revenues, the better question is why not have the more powerful lamps on tap? It is a process.

Ken J. Good
    http://strategosintl.com
    http://night-ops.com
    http://polarion-store.com
    Last edited by Ken J. Good; 09-01-2006 at 02:13 PM.

Flashaholic

Default Re: Production Helios

Dear Ken,

Thanks for the comparison information at 300 yards -- in a suburban neighborhood where I take my nightly walks, that distance is a very long way off, and considerable care must be used to avoid splatter or direct beam into private houses or oncoming cars. The X990 comes with a specific warning NOT to use it in the rain or in humid environments, so I am careful about foggy evenings or even after a rain, when the trees may still be dripping. The Helios is a significant improvement in this regard.

As I get older, I desire more light output at the same time as I want to carry less weight. That is where better technology is worth the price of admission, as I use my lights not only as very neat toys (OK I admit to this), but for the practical value of making sure that if I am not alone outside, I know about someone else before they are next to me. Most people are fine, but in this world, a very bright light can be a great escape device. Remember: don't shine it into a person's eyes (or those of a dog for that matter), unless you mean to cause harm, and think more than twice about doing even this to get out of harm's way.

I mention these thoughts as the output of the Helios, and some others, is now in the range of automotive high beams, or possibly more, and if we flashaholic types don't want Big Brother to start passing laws, we need to keep this aspect of such wonderful devices in mind.

So having said that, when can we expect the 75 and 100 watt monsters that still weigh 5 lbs and run for 60 minutes? I know what you must be thinking, but too much is never enough.

-Harvey

Ken, a charge went through for my Helios. Hopefully, that means the handleless versions are shipping? Can't wait!
    WWII 60" Carbon Arc (Sold), 1.6KW NightSun, 1KW VSS-3A, .8KW TrakkaBeam, 600W M-134 Light, 500W X-500-14s, 500W Starburst, 500W A120b, 450 Watt AEG German Leopard 1 Tank Light, 300W Locators, Megaray, 150W Communicator, Maxabeam Gen3, Pichel 75W Mini-Novas

Flashaholic*

BVH, no worries. it will be around in the next couple of days. I got the charge today as well and had the opportunity to speak with Ken. Great guy to speak with and I am really looking forward to the light showing up. hopefully Ken will have some time to put up a couple more snaps of the non-handled version in the next day or 2.

I am excited to receive this light. Should go along nicely with my Barn Burner and soon to hopefully arrive Rayzorlite.

Curtis
    -- CUE

Flashaholic*

I don't remember if I asked this before but I wonder how the strap (is there a strap with this light?) will attach to the light with no handle. I guess we will know more with pictures.

Curtis
    -- CUE

Flashaholic*

* Double post * sorry.
    -- CUE

No strap provided with the light at this time.

Going to pick up the first full-production run from the warehouse in a few hours!
    They are here, both handle and handleless versions.

Will post pics this evening of the side-by-side looks.

Additionally and this is important:

The Polarion H1 Helios is considered instant strike. I have been recalibrated by the manufacturer. What I was seeing was the light pattern change over a 6-8 second period. What that is, is the lamp actually reducing it's output from the initial activation.

Additionally this thing is QUIET compared to something like the X990 and others. Gone is the highly noticeable whine/hum.

Could be an important consideration for some.

As an Oh by the way, we have had this light along the U.S. Mexican Border for the last few weeks....I can't tear the light out of their hands now!!!

Seriously, they LOVE IT!

Respectfully,

Ken J. Good
    http://polarion-store.com
    http://strategosintl.com
    http://night-ops.com
    Last edited by Ken J. Good; 09-13-2006 at 11:40 AM.

Flashaholic*

Bring on the PICS...

Curtis
    -- CUE

Okay...I nearly jumped out my skin when I saw the production units....

These lights represent the culmination of an amazing process of which I have been a small part.

Light is now certified waterproof to 165'.

The fit and finish is OUTSTANDING!!!!
    We went to a flatter, meaner tone of Black Ano.

Nice laser engraved accents. Each light is serialized.

Bezel has a new fitting to accept the filters. Very clean, snap in setup.

Oh yes...Another...Hopefully final Model Number change....It is now the PS-PH40 (Handle) & the PS-PF40 (for Free or no-handle). The Helios carried all the way through though along with the tag line I generated.

The no-handle version is has a slimmer body diameter seen in the pictures by noticing the gap differential between the thumb the the index finger.

These lights do not have the instruction manual yet, but I believe everybody that has ordered wants their lights like yesterday!

I will follow up by mailing those out when the final version is approved for printing.

I will include a basic instruction sheet with each light in the mean time.

Forward strap attachment points were not included with the handled versions.

Same thing I will send those to their owners when they arrive.

Would you like to see a couple of pics...??????

Lights leaving my location to you tomorrow!!!!

I cannot tell you how happy I am to see these go from concept to the real world.

Interested Dealers please contact me at ken@polarion-store.com

Best to everybody.

Ken J. Good
    Owner of Xousia Systems Group
    U.S. Distributor of Polarion HID Products

http://polarion-store.com | http://strategosintl.com | http://night-ops.com
    Last edited by Ken J. Good; 09-13-2006 at 06:47 PM.

Alright, I know I'm about to humiliate myself with this question, but I have to ask. This 40W is brighter/throws farther/has more sidespill than the cheapo Amondo HID 35W, right?

Flashaholic*

Evilgrin07 Re: Production Helios is Here!

Now that is what I am talking about. Awesome. I want a very very low serial number Something like 001 or 003 or 007 hehe.

The non handle body looks like the body of the Surefire M6

Thanks for putting this together. I am very much so looking forward to receiving this light. I hope I don't regret not getting the one with the handle.

How does the no handle (free) version feel in your hand?

I also notice the brochures offer the lights (both of them) with different finish options. I didn't know they were ready in different finishes already. I thought is still in trial stage. It says you can even get CUSTOM color.... camo? That would be sweet. Or even red, yellow etc.... maybe purple... ok I am getting carried away.

Curtis
    Last edited by cue003; 09-13-2006 at 08:38 PM.
    -- CUE

Ken, looks fabulous!!! I can't wait to get mine. I, too, would a very low serial number unit.

Thanks you very very much for making this possible!
    WWII 60" Carbon Arc (Sold), 1.6KW NightSun, 1KW VSS-3A, .8KW TrakkaBeam, 600W M-134 Light, 500W X-500-14s, 500W Starburst, 500W A120b, 450 Watt AEG German Leopard 1 Tank Light, 300W Locators, Megaray, 150W Communicator, Maxabeam Gen3, Pichel 75W Mini-Novas

Flashaholic*

Ken is the no handle version shorter than the other? It appears so in the pictures.

Curtis
    -- CUE

Smile Re: Production Helios is Here!

Quote Originally Posted by daveman
    Alright, I know I'm about to humiliate myself with this question, but I have to ask. This 40W is brighter/throws farther/has more sidespill than the cheapo Amondo HID 35W, right?

Wrong, I had a chance to play around with a Helios last week.
    It will out throw a Polarion and comes closer to the throw of an Amondotech Illuminator. It was a bit hazy last Thursday night, but it was rather clear that an Illuminator should still have a bit more throw. This is to be expected, the Illuminator has a 6 inch reflector and the Helios reflector is somewhere around 3 inches. You also need to remember the Illuminator weighs over 8lbs. Regarding side spill, we need to define terms.
    When looking at a spotlight beam against a white wall from about 20 feet you will see a very bright little spot that then a bright area immediately surrounding this then a third area of light around that which may be very wide with some spotlights.
    The definitions I use when describing spotlight beams would be

Spot- Hotspot
    Bright area- Corona
    Third area- Spill

The Illuminator has much more spill.
    The little reflector of the Helios produces a wider corona then the Illuminator. This is good, because the wider corona produces a larger area of bright light surrounding the hotspot down field. This is very good if you are searching for people or objects.
    The reflector in the Helios has been slightly re-designed to give more throw and less spill then the Polarion. Once again, for it's intended purpose this is a good thing. Actually, a VERY GOOD thing!

The two features that impressed me most about the Helios aside from it's light weight, the fact that it is slightly shorter then a 3D Mag-lite, the ingenious switch, it has a very well balanced handle, it's fit and finish are great, it's great light output, and it is waterproof to below 150 feet (I believe I was told 175 feet.), are the following-

When I turned it on it was fully bright immediately. There was only a very short 5 or 6 second period for the beam to fully stablize. This was not even noticeable when shining in the distance. It was not really noticeable unless I was shining against a reflective object up close.

The other thing I noticed was near SILENCE! Anybody familiar with HID will know what I am referring to here. Even two feet from my head I could barely hear any noise from the ballast as it warmed up.

I did not have a chance to take pictures and the weather would not have permitted it anyway. As soon as I turned on the Helios it easily lit up the eyes of a pack of Coyote's (Animals, not illegal smugglers.) between 150 and 200 yards away. They quickly trotted off once they were lit up. I did not think I would care for the handle, but I like the balanced feel very much. Without the handle it felt rather front heavy. I definitely plan on getting one of these wonderful lights when I can get the funds together. I missed the group buy and am not really that concerned because even the retail price is very reasonable for this incredible light.

Take Care,
    mtbkndad

sweet how many lumens does this thing put out?

Few things.

You are going to have to forget about lower Serial numbers. They started very high.

The manufacturer is stating 4,000 lumens.

The 2 lights are exactly the same length.

The No-handle version (PS-PF40) in the hand bezel forward naturally drops to about 35 degrees below the horizon and puts quite a bit of tension in you hand/forearm.

If you carry it at your side bezel/reflector backwards the natural tension in your hand is vey light. The light swings nicely up to your chest area to activate and use.

If you plan on carrying the light horizonally for a long time while ON, and don't mind a bit more space to carry in a gearbag, then the handled version (PS-PH40) would be a good choice.

Not sure??? Get one of each is my humble suggestion!!!

If i had the money, I would buy one of these toys just for fun. I guess I better find lots of cans to recycle.

At a nickel an aluminum can, you only have about 30,000 cans left to go...

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Ken J. Good
    Few things.

The 2 lights are exactly the same length.

The No-handle version (PS-PF40) in the hand bezel forward naturally drops to about 35 degrees below the horizon and puts quite a bit of tension in you hand/forearm.

If you carry it at your side bezel/reflector backwards the natural tension in your hand is vey light. The light swings nicely up to your chest area to activate and use.

If you plan on carrying the light horizonally for a long time while ON, and don't mind a bit more space to carry in a gearbag, then the handled version (PS-PH40) would be a good choice.

Not sure??? Get one of each is my humble suggestion!!!
    Get one of each.... no surprise on that response Tension on the wrist... I have small hands and I think I am weak... but I would probably carry it bezel backwards in the hand and swing it up. That is how I hold almost all my lights anyway. Feels better and more natural to me. Probably because they kind of rest on my shoulder. hmmm..

When held backwards how difficult is it to activate the switch? Would it be activated with the pincky finger?

Curtis
    Last edited by cue003; 09-14-2006 at 05:44 AM.
    -- CUE

The switch has too much tension to operate the pinkey alone.
    You will see/feel.

On another note, here is how the serial numbers work:

USH0260806

Means:

US-United States
    H-Handle
    F-Free (no-handle)
    026 - Number in the Run
    0806 - Manufacture Date - August of 2006

Enough typing...Off to ship. Will send tracking numbers shortly.
    Last edited by Ken J. Good; 09-14-2006 at 07:18 PM.

As Ken stated, I got my shipping/tracking numbers via email.

I also like the 165ft 'upgrade' to the depth rating. This torch will be and underwater light saber.

Flashaholic

I really like the looks of this light, and if it was in the sub $1K range I'd probably buy one, so maybe its just sour grapes causing me to think "he's carrying a thermos" everytime I see the first picture in post #50. Is it just me?
    "For a moment, Waterhouse thinks that one wall of the building has collapsed,
    exposing them to the direct light of the sun. But Ghnxh has simply turned on the galvanick lucipher ..."

Quote Originally Posted by GalvanickLucifer
    I really like the looks of this light, and if it was in the sub $1K range I'd probably buy one, so maybe its just sour grapes causing me to think "he's carrying a thermos" everytime I see the first picture in post #50. Is it just me?
    My thermos is brighter than your thermos

Thermos - Of course it looks like a Thermos!

That was one of the specfic design parameters. If the lamp fails and the battery dies, you are still good to go. Open it up and use the body/bezel as a last ditch Starbucks survival tool...

The Silver finish really makes it look "Thermosey..."

Anyway, I just got this in from "Kenshiro" which many of you know of course.

Disclaimer here: I did not conduct the test, nor was I there. That being said I do trust implicity the integrity of Kenshiro.

Here is his email to me:

Ken,

I'm sorry. I was going to send you these shots a couple of weeks ago.
    Anyway, read this while looking at the photos.

The target is at 150 yards. Simply put, the Beast simply cannot illuminate the target very well at that range. The X990 fares much better, but the Helios is clearly brighter than either. Look not only at the target tree, but the ground and the surroundings. A couple of trees behind the main target that you CAN see with the Helios, you CAN'T see with the X990.

At the wide angle, we see why the beast is so weak at long range. Most of it's light is being used within the first 75 yards. But it does illuminate close objects quite well. The X990 has a very small spill and does not illuminate the surroundings that well. Most of it's light is focused toward the center.

HOWEVER.....You can see that the Helios is very good at illuminating the surroundings WHILE it's illuminating the target just as well. What does that mean? It means there's a lot more lumens coming out of the light than either of the other 2 lights being compared.

It beats the X990 in the close up shots, but absolutely smokes it at wide angle. MUCH more light.

I think the Beast has a bit wider coverage at close range, but you can see that the difference is very minor. However, at long range there is NO comparison at all. The Beast is simply not even in the same category.

So you can see how the Helios is simply the best overall illumination tool. It shoots far, WHILE illuminating a large area. Hands down winner.

I will post a full review sometime in the future. But you can use my photos in the meantime.

Thanks.

Kenshiro

From my perspective:

Although at close range it appears the Beast is covering a lot of ground (& it does an excellent job at close range), if you really study the pictures you will see the total illuminated surface area is much greater with the Helios.

I asked Kenshiro if the camera settings, the light height and placement angle were all the same. He said most definitely they were the same.

Flashaholic

Thermos - Of course it looks like a Thermos!

That was one of the specfic design parameters. If the lamp fails and the battery dies, you are still good to go. Open it up and use the body/bezel as a last ditch Starbucks survival tool...
    Aha! I knew it!
    "For a moment, Waterhouse thinks that one wall of the building has collapsed,
    exposing them to the direct light of the sun. But Ghnxh has simply turned on the galvanick lucipher ..."

Flashaholic*

Got my tracking info. Can't wait to get it.....
    -- CUE

This is the coolest high output light I've seen, I can't believe I almost missed it. This needs a post on the general forum to spread the word

The performance looks stellar, the size is stellar, and the design even LOOKS attractive. It basically looks like an awesome new Surefire, which is a complement!

Supposed to arrive today! I may have to delay my weekend departure a bit to be here to get it. Let's see....leave early - no Helios. Wait a couple of hours - Helios in my hands this weekend. I'm doing the Avon walk marathon and a half this weekend so not too much time to play during the day but after the walk - its Playtime.

The Polarion H1 Helios is considered instant strike. I have been recalibrated by the manufacturer. What I was seeing was the light pattern change over a 6-8 second period. What that is, is the lamp actually reducing it's output from the initial activation.

Additionally this thing is QUIET compared to something like the X990 and others. Gone is the highly noticeable whine/hum.
    I suspect this uses DC power to the bulb. This could help explain the obviously required compactness of the ballast. DC output ballasts can be made more compact due to the reduced electronic componentry. DC bulbs usually flicker more durring startup phase than AC bulbs do.

Flashaholic*

After the 20th... that is when my light is due to arrive, I will let you know about that flicker... if it exists. I will also be seeing how this light overall is against the Rayzorlite and the Barn Burner (I am sure this (BB) will be the sheer output winner).

Curtis
    Last edited by cue003; 09-17-2006 at 10:45 AM.
    -- CUE

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast